What time do you ride?

potatobroxd

Saturday evening in mid summer is by far the best time for a long ride in my experience as long as you are heading East. I've ridden the A44 from Aberystwyth to Coventry a few times on a Saturday evening and hardly seen another vehicle. I put this down to alcohol and telly keeping everyone indoors . Doing this journey the other way , however, is bloody dangerous. Negotiating the twisty bits west of Rhayader with the setting sun full in the face is horrible. So horrible in fact that when totally blinded I have had to let go and use the force more than once .

Saturday evening in mid summer is by far the best time for a long ride in my experience as long as you are heading East. I've ridden the A44 from Aberystwyth to Coventry a few times on a Saturday evening and hardly seen another vehicle. I put this down to alcohol and telly keeping everyone indoors . Doing this journey the other way , however, is bloody dangerous. Negotiating the twisty bits west of Rhayader with the setting sun full in the face is horrible. So horrible in fact that when totally blinded I have had to let go and use the force more than once .

Does the inner sunvisor not help?

Winter- after 10/11am so it’s warmed up a little.

Summer earlier but also found Sunday 3pm and after it’s quiet, probably due to what fastbob said so I might try out later on Saturdays too.

Weekdays I avoid the rush hour and rarely bother with Friday afternoons cos drinking in other peoples exhaust fumes doesn’t appeal!

No not really, I don't think these things were ever intended to block out the full glare of the sun when it's dead ahead and low in the sky . They are more for resting the eyes when its a very bright sunny day . Also good for keeping bugs ( sorry , insects ) out of the eyes when its very hot and you want to have the outer visor up to keep cool.

No not really, I don't think these things were ever intended to block out the full glare of the sun when it's dead ahead and low in the sky . They are more for resting the eyes when its a very bright sunny day . Also good for keeping bugs ( sorry , insects ) out of the eyes when its very hot and you want to have the outer visor up to keep cool.

In my experience, sun visors are absolutely useless when the sun is in front of you. Which can be quite disconcerting on a NSL country road.

How does the national speed limit effect it?

I love my visor. For me it makes the difference between being comfortable and squinting. I agree they’re not enough for low winter sun but I use sunglasses then and flip the visor down over the top of them for the blinding parts, works a treat.

I like that the visor is a halfway house because as you flit between sunlight and shaded road you can still easily see.

Because my nature is I'll ride to the conditions. But it can still be hard to see where the road goes at times even when you slow right down, and be aware that there can be things you can't see because of the sun.

The driver behind is likely to have the vehicle's sun visor down which will provide a great help to their vision and be hugging my exhaust pipe.

Which in and of itself doesn't bother me, but I just don't trust other people not to make bad decisions.

My point about the road being NSL is that the speed differential between the theoretical limit and the speed I will go is much higher than on a 30 or 40mph road.

Because my nature is I'll ride to the conditions. But it can still be hard to see where the road goes at times even when you slow right down, and be aware that there can be things you can't see because of the sun.

The driver behind is likely to have the vehicle's sun visor down which will provide a great help to their vision and be hugging my exhaust pipe.

Which in and of itself doesn't bother me, but I just don't trust other people not to make bad decisions.

My point about the road being NSL is that the speed differential between the theoretical limit and the speed I will go is much higher than on a 30 or 40mph road.

Which is why I always pull in and allow drivers to pass me if I'm a bit shaky. Same in the rain . I just choose a suitable piece of straight road with nothing coming the other way ,move over to the left , indicate left while slowing down and let them pass . I often get a flash of the hazard lights as a gesture of appreciation . Then I can continue at my own pace.

Edited by fastbob

^^^^^^

looks crap

Looks crap but blow me, it worked brilliantly with no loss of vision. Rode home at 4:15pm doing several miles in a west/south westerly direction on country roads with the sun directly in front of me, worked better than I expected. I actually thought it would be no better but I could do with the electrical tape anyway.

Now I've worked where the tape works I can probably smarten it up a touch.

Wot you need is an enduro/adventure helmet......they come with a peak that actually. ......shades you eyes! But, I fear, no good for the 140+mph mob.

E.g. https://www.24mx.co.uk/ixs-hx-207-helmet-matt-black#?list=Crossutrustning%20%3E%20Hj%C3%A4lmar%20%3E%20Adventurehj%C3%A4lmar%20(287)&pos=1

You get the idea.

:thumb:

You are 100% correct, but but but but... also 100% correct. It's like someone on a road bike with a mountain bike helmet on :lol: It's just not right