Switching motorbikes... good/bad idea

Ross

At the end of the year im thinking of selling/part ex my 1998 Yamaha TDM 850 with all the luggage (back box, side panniers, racks all fitted) it also has a tall screen for touring, upgaded brake cables, heated grips and 12v charger for satnav etc...

And getting a Yamaha XT660X. I want to kit it up for touring get it racked up for boxes etc. Its a more fun bike to ride etc...

What do you guys think? Have i finally lost it? 😂

Just going of the mcn reviews your tdm seems a better bike.

The 660 will likely feel slow with just 48hp compared to the 77bhp you have now.

Why not look at the tdm900?

To be fair im not a big speed freak. I like my up right good view comfortable riding. The TDM i find rather hard to handle. The XT is more nimble and fun on twisty mountain toads and round town. And can still be loaded up for a distence trip

You can tour on any thing.

You certainly can ! This my ER5 in Durness near Cape Wrath, 1630 miles in a week. I'm off to the Outer Hebrides this year .

WP_20180717_12_40_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.34b1fc44e1d04261ddb4e230037ffc52.jpg

Edited by fastbob

At the end of the year im thinking of selling/part ex my 1998 Yamaha TDM 850 with all the luggage (back box, side panniers, racks all fitted) it also has a tall screen for touring, upgaded brake cables, heated grips and 12v charger for satnav etc...

And getting a Yamaha XT660X. I want to kit it up for touring get it racked up for boxes etc. Its a more fun bike to ride etc...

What do you guys think? Have i finally lost it? 😂

Get your XT660 by all means but keep the TDM , after all you won't get much for it .

Get your XT660 by all means but keep the TDM , after all you won't get much for it .

Unfortuntally im still in the position of living under my parents roof and im not sure if they would be too happy with me having two bikes in their garage 😂. Also would probs have to sell the tdm to help fund the xtx.

Hmmmmmm....

Sorry if I've missed you already saying, but have you taken a test ride on the 660?

I havnt test rode it yet. Its a super moto , whats not good about it 😂

I was convinced about the last bike I was going to buy, until I sat on it. Then having gone to do exactly that I sat on everything else and fell in love with a bike I thought I'd never go for. Until your bum has snuggled into the seat no bike is a foregone conclusion.

Don't be put off by the size difference totally different bike but very capable single loads of torque. Wife and I love my 25bhp himalayan no issues, sure not quick but speed isn't the aim. I'd defo say like other test ride it first

IMG_20180325_101923.thumb.jpg.38b12fbd5ac34fa2031ebfdbb653693a.jpg

yes and I have to say im not bothered about ballistic speed myself these days :?

Don't be put off by the size difference totally different bike but very capable single loads of torque. Wife and I love my 25bhp himalayan no issues, sure not quick but speed isn't the aim. I'd defo say like other test ride it first

I dont ride bikes for speed, i like to ride them for comfort and taking in the scenery and fresh air. Im 25 and have never been one for balistic speeds 😂 i love the look and sound of superbikes but would never have one myself

Lovley Endield you have there i bet you have had some right adventures on that!

If i was to go for the XTX i would get the sprockets changed soniys got more top end speed for cruising

Sorry if I've missed you already saying, but have you taken a test ride on the 660?

I havnt test rode it yet. Its a super moto , whats not good about it 😂

I was convinced about the last bike I was going to buy, until I sat on it. Then having gone to do exactly that I sat on everything else and fell in love with a bike I thought I'd never go for. Until your bum has snuggled into the seat no bike is a foregone conclusion.

:stupid:

Thanks MB, you pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

Always at least sit on a bike before you buy and if possible I HEAVILY recommend at least going round the block on it. :thumb:

I would never have bought my Sprint before I took one for a test ride and now I'm so grateful because I love her to pieces 4 years later (... Jesus that times gone fast! :shock: )