Engine cutting out...

Squealy_Wheelie

I was having starting issues with suzuki intruder 125, if standing for 2 weeks.

I changed the battery.

Changed the spark plugs.

Did an oil and filter change.

Did a volt test on the battery before and after start up.

Checked the rectifier. I think it was okay, got 3 consistant readings of the 3 terminals. I think one was very slightly different. (Don’t have notebook on me right now)

Did a compression and leak down test (low results)

Seemed to be working okay.

Few weeks later, when testing the battery again, when putting side panel back on, the side panel touched the battery and there was a little pop, a little puff of smoke came out :shock:

Bike still worked fine though.

Few days ago, tested the battery again (one month old) and it does its usual slow charge when idling, 12.8v to start going up to around 13.9v, 14.2v when revving, but this time, i noticed the voltage dipping to 3v then back up to 13v then another dip etc. Still charging while this is happening.

Then yesterday, started her up. Idle was slower and got slower and slower until she just fizzled and died.

Charged battery using charger and went for test ride. Started fine but when coming to a stop, engine would cut out just at the point of stopping. Would start again straight away.

Stopped in a carpark and left her idling, she would idle slower/lights dip, then increase back to normal again. I increased the idle speed slightly to get home.

Is there anything i can do before i give up and get fleeced at a garage? :?

Empty the fuel tank. Remove petrol tap and clean with carb cleaner. Flush out fuel tank with fresh fuel until no rust or water in fuel. Replace tap. Remove carb, strip and clean everything with carb cleaner. Rebuild carb and adjust settings to normal.

Empty the fuel tank. Remove petrol tap and clean with carb cleaner. Flush out fuel tank with fresh fuel until no rust or water in fuel. Replace tap. Remove carb, strip and clean everything with carb cleaner. Rebuild carb and adjust settings to normal.

Absolutely bang on . This sounds like a stuck float valve that is gradually flooding the engine and when you increase the revs the extra fuel is being burned off only for the problem to reoccur next time the bike returns to idle . The cure , what Megawatt said with particular attention to the float valve looking for minute particles of dirt lurking behind the rubber needle . Use the carb cleaner from the top downwards with the float needle removed for best effect .

:cheers: thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Just noticed the rubber bung that covers the battery terminal is worn away so its not protecting it, covered with duck tape.

Also the left terminal connectors had loosened so tightened that.

Battery isn’t dipping anymore, and bike charging up to 14.8 quite quickly. Idle speed isn’t fluctuating anymore.

Still need to look into the above though. Thanks!

Don't go tearing the carb apart until you have found out whether the battery terminals were to blame . The secret to fault finding is to do one thing at a time and make notes on the results .

Don't go tearing the carb apart until you have found out whether the battery terminals were to blame . The secret to fault finding is to do one thing at a time and make notes on the results .

:stupid:

Could have just been bad earth connection if you've had to tighten terminals. See how it goes first.

I don't think there is any better feeling than your bike not working then you tinkering with it and it works fine ..

Too right, always found working on cars absolutely exhausting especially when bad weather hit but at same time was relaxing and loved every job I did especially when you get to end result.

Same as doing up the ER5, even though it's sitting unloved in the garage been in there a few times recently and still have a cheeky smile to myself at how it looks now.

I might try one of those one day :wave:

Plenty out there including lots of cheap fixer uppers . Mine has given me tons of pleasure on and off the road . Highly recommended.

1028691136_image(4).jpg.a3a8a2881a33bf957543a8ef4fae2d40.jpg

1879819690_wp_ss_20190227_0021(2).thumb.png.3274c3a730e3c0aac23ef251b1a04db8.png

Edited by fastbob

I don't think there is any better feeling than your bike not working then you tinkering with it and it works fine ..

Yeah i’m deffo learning what that feels like :D Once you start fiddling it starts to get a bit addictive. I’ve been filming any bits of jobs i’m doing so i can remember what the hell i did for next time around lol and keeping a bike log of results etc.

The bike log is also so i can remember shit so if i ever take her to the garage, he might not take the pi*s as much with me being a girl :roll:

Till you lump your thumb or bang your head

Or have a plastic container full of old, dark oil, then as i’m cleaning the screw from underneath, i suddenly hear ‘spladoosh’ as it drops into said oil.

I had to edit out the loud scream of ‘BOLLOCKS!’ that followed :lol:

Just a word of caution.... Listen to [mention]fastbob[/mention]...... There might well not be any better feeling than your bike not working then tinkering with it etc. etc., but remember that there is also no worse feeling than having a bike that is running OK, effing about with it and thus creating a non-runner. Just sayin'.

Been there, done that.

So, if it's adjustable, it doesn't necessarily need adjusting. So don't if you don't have to.

If you do adjust anything, [mention]fastbob[/mention] ONLY ADJUST ONE THING AT A TIME.

There, did I say that loud enough?

PS, good job. Sounds as if it was the loose earth that was your problem.

[mention]Speedy23[/mention]

I’ve deffo done all the jobs i wanted to do right now. The loose earth is a very recent thing probably caused by me doing loads of battery testing over the last month or so due to non starting issues.

When i get her MOT’d i’m going to ask about the carbs and the engine pressure being very low. See what he says.

Hopefully take her for another test run tomorrow to see if she if she’s running ok.

[mention]Tiggie[/mention] Not just the chinese 125’s then lol

Or have a plastic container full of old, dark oil, then as i’m cleaning the screw from underneath, i suddenly hear ‘spladoosh’ as it drops into said oil.

Which is what those magnetic telescopic things are for

• 2 weeks later...

Which is what those magnetic telescopic things are for

"Oh bugger"

The sound of my instructor on two training days after he attempted to take the restrictor off the bike school's motorbike before I rode it. and prompted dropped the screw into the bike somewhere.

Luckily both times I was able to go over to the nearby car mechanic workshop and borrow one :lol: