Stupid Questions

LifeofPhil

• 6 months later...

New stupid question.

I put a filter in the fuel line between the tap and the carburetor.

(ther is one built in to the tap but its dogshit)

As I turned on the tap and watched the filter fill I noticed the fuel was mixed with somthing 50/50 and split once settled, it looked like oil.

I broke the fuel line and drained half a pint and let it settle it was again 50/50 with a milky tint on top and orange at the bottom (bit of rust and dirt front eh tank I think).

I drained off a few pint until it was just petroleum coming out.

re-assembled the fuel lines (wit the new filter) I gave the carb a clean and check the spark plug. all back together but wont fire up.

repeated the clean and spark check but still wont fire up, any ideas?

New stupid question.

I put a filter in the fuel line between the tap and the carburetor.

(ther is one built in to the tap but its dogshit)

As I turned on the tap and watched the filter fill I noticed the fuel was mixed with somthing 50/50 and split once settled, it looked like oil.

I broke the fuel line and drained half a pint and let it settle it was again 50/50 with a milky tint on top and orange at the bottom (bit of rust and dirt front eh tank I think).

I drained off a few pint until it was just petroleum coming out.

re-assembled the fuel lines (wit the new filter) I gave the carb a clean and check the spark plug. all back together but wont fire up.

repeated the clean and spark check but still wont fire up, any ideas?

Did it run OK before fitting the filter? Have you tried taking the filter out again? Does the filter have a "flow" (is there an arrow on it to show which way the fuel goes)? What exactly did you do to the carb?

Did it run OK before fitting the filter? Have you tried taking the filter out again? Does the filter have a "flow" (is there an arrow on it to show which way the fuel goes)? What exactly did you do to the carb?

It was running fine all week then wouldn't start Monday night. I figured it was one of the jets clogged again as this is usually the problem.

I did try with out the filter and it didnt change anything.

The filter dose have a flow arrow and is point the correct way.

With the carb I took the float chamber apart, took off the float and needle, removed the jets and used a guitar string to clean them out, wiped down the bowl and re assembled it.

Is the carb metering any fuel? Can you smell any fuel if you take thd plug out? Is the plug wet? Have you put the plug cap back on properly? Is the HT lead connected OK? Is there a spark?

Is the carb metering any fuel? Can you smell any fuel if you take thd plug out? Is the plug wet? Have you put the plug cap back on properly? Is the HT lead connected OK? Is there a spark?

I have a good spark and the plug is is wet. defiantly secured properly.

Not sure what you mean by metering, how would I check that?

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to get to the indicator to replace it but I have a spinning bolt on the fairing preventing me getting to it.

It's one of those rubber bungs with the nut inside that keeps spinning.

I tried using a magnet to hold it still and shoving a screwdriver between the head light and fairing to try pin the rubber nut but to no luck. Any ideas before I give up and drill it out?

:stupid:

Exactly.....to prevent your tank emptying its contents if the float sticks in the carb.......worst case scenario is that it fills the airbox with fuel, which can then allow the fuel into the sump, via the crankcase breather..... :shock:

This can happens quite efficiently with marine 2 stroke engines as well, in this case it just runs into the sump. Which had a history of collecting cooling water when stopped, design floor. Solution being turning it over with spark plug out not even connected to empty water out of crankcase.

Turns out it was the needle valve stuck open (fuel tank was higher than engine) the result where quite a flare. Powder extinguishers do work and apparently you should not use sea water to cool your skin then, the tide was out is not a good reason not to call the emergency services... Don't ask how I know.

I'm trying to get to the indicator to replace it but I have a spinning bolt on the fairing preventing me getting to it.

It's one of those rubber bungs with the nut inside that keeps spinning.

I tried using a magnet to hold it still and shoving a screwdriver between the head light and fairing to try pin the rubber nut but to no luck. Any ideas before I give up and drill it out?

This is the kind of rubber nut I'm having problems with. The top par that acts as a spacer/washer has come apart from the rest of it

IMG_20200318_131552.thumb.jpg.131ae41fdc012fd8f83fe7d544e44c50.jpg

Nut in its rubber gimp suit.