Cutting out as I'm riding it then starting again after iv stopped

BIKERDAD

Ok here goes . Starts my bike 1st time on the button rides 10 miles turns bike off for 15 mins . Gets back on bike won't start .. pushing starter button starter is working its turning over but not firing up the engine .

. So bumps starts the bike rides for 20 miles . Parks the bike up next day stars 1st time .(full tank of gas got it last week )

Rides for 20 miles ..some high speed 100+

Then gets back on public road doing 60 loses power bike stops

.. pushing button starter turning over but again not fireing up the engine .

Pulls the choke a few times it starts so off I go again 60 less than a mile cuts out again .

Pull Choke turns over starts . Again mile or so cuts out

so starts the bike turns off the fuel wait till bike runs out gas .turns on the petrol push starter starts 1st time

Then goes 2or 3 miles cuts out again .same thing

Choke starts turns off petrol till.it runs out petrol .then turn petrol on starts 1st time goes home parks bike up and sulks .........

So if been told its the carbs they got shit in them ???? who's been shitting in my carbs ..

But I was told that an old despatch rider trick was to clean up carbs/Flotes was to get the bike running turn off the petrol and let the bike run till it runs out of gas .. then turn on the fuel tap and it's away you go .. well.iv done this about 5 times today and bike still cuts out . Its had all new spark plugs they are wotking . The engine is trying to start but it sounds like petrol not getting to where it needs to be when it starts .. .. help . Hottest Feb is here and want to use my bike...

Turning the fuel off might help unstick a float needle if it was just catching but this sounds like something else. As above, check for a vacuum developing in the tank. But the fact that operating the choke gets it going makes me think there’s something got into the carbs. Did this start after you filled up last week? It could be muck or even just water.

You shouldn’t get water these days as the ethanol added to petrol ought to absorb it. An old trick was to bung some meths in the tank to clear water out of the petrol.

Take the carbs off

Get carb cleaner

Remove bowls on the bottom

Spray cleaner through ball the holes

Refit

If you spray from the bottom, any dirt will be pushed upwards into the carb only to reappear again later on . Better to spray all visible passage ways from the top down using the straw in the can . Regarding the intermittent cutting out , I would be looking for a kinked vacuum hose to the fuel tap ( If applicable ) or a blocked fuel filter inside the tank . Which of your bikes is it by the way ?

Hi guys thanks for your help . Ok I don't know that much about bikes . So be ready.for so daft questions lol . The rush of air when I open the fuel cap were will the sound be coming from ..

The bike is CB750 F2N 1996 P reg ..

I fitted a new fuel filiter few weeks ago . I filled up the bike as it been parked up over the winter .

Where is the breather pipe .

Thanks

Hi guys thanks for your help . Ok I don't know that much about bikes . So be ready.for so daft questions lol . The rush of air when I open the fuel cap were will the sound be coming from ..

I fitted a new fuel filiter few weeks ago . I filled up the bike as it been parked up over the winter .

Thanks

Erm.... the tank :D

Thanks

You fitted an new fuel filter ? Do you mean an external add on one or do you mean the one inside the tank ? What breather PIPE ? Nobody mentioned a breather PIPE. What they meant was the tiny vent in the filler cap that lets air in to replace the petrol used and thus prevents a vacuum from forming. The internal filter is part 4 .

wp_ss_20190224_0001.thumb.png.39d1ae951335bd128f0ffe856705e66e.png

The small clear thinngwith a yellow filiter inside it .it's under the tank On the last side .

I didn't know there is a filiter inside the tank .how do you get to that .. As for the breather ...I thought it was a pipe as when I lifted the tank up to get to the small fuel filiter under the tank there looks like rubber pipes attached to the underside of the tank On the right side these go down towards the floor . Also the small hole where is that I guess on the petrol cap ?????

Ok I think.im might have sorted the problem . When I changed the fuel filter behind the pet tap .I had to heat it up to fit over the new filiter and it kinked a wee bit also when I put the petrol tank back down (as I just pushed it up 5 or 6 inches to get.my hand under it . ) the two rubber tubes coming off the petrol tank on the right side of the tank underneath it one is a thin tube and the other is twice as thick they drop down past the engine to the canter stand . The thing one was kinked and the thick one was pressing against the thin one . So if changed the petrol tube from the pet tap to the filiter .and rearranged the two tubes so that they don't kink or crush as I other. So went for a 2 min ride and feels ok .I'm off for a wee ride after T let you know how it goes .

Also if looked at the petrol tap it looks.like if i take it off the tank there is a long white tube on the end of it which goes in to the tank . Is that the petrol filiter inside my tank that was said on here .. thanks .

That's right, the filter is the long thing inside the tank ( part 4 ) which means that you don't really need a second one outside the tank . Have a look inside the little thimble shaped bowl on the tap , it could be full of dirt or water . ( Part 7 )

Anyway, sounds like you've sorted it . Partially squashed pipes would explain the cutting out and also the starting again when enough petrol gets through to fill the carbs up once more.

Hi . All . Well had a wee ride yesterday and it was a bit sluggish so only done 5 or 6 miles back home.. then to day its was still a bit sluggish ..As I opened the throtel it went but it felt odd . So I started it again and turned off the pet tap let the carbs runs dry again . So after 5 mins cut out so opened the pet cap pushed the starter and fired up 1st time .clunk in to 1st gear and off like a shot .so done about 80 miles today and runs like a dream . Then as I was driving up to my house to parki it away it started to feel odd like it did 1st thing to say . So hmmmm I think I sorted the air /cutting out prob but I think some shit has gone in to the cards when the bike was trying to suck petrol thro when the air pipe was blocked.

I don't feel comfortable taking my carbs off my bike. So if i take it to a garage to get the carbs cleaned. How much do you think a garage will charge . I hate to think what a main dealer will charge lol

Ok been out a few times now and today the bike felt sluggish .in top gear 70 mph you open the throtel to pass the vehicle in front and it feels sluggish and slow to build up to higher speed . So pulled in to gas station turned off the bike filled up .paid and it's off like a shot . Now it feels odd when you stick to say 70 the bike feels like it wants to go faster .. it feels like a slight jerk but ita a jerk forward not slow down jerk . ?????

So If I get.cought for speeding I'll blame the bike lol was not me officer it was the bike it wants.to.go.fast ..honest ..lol.

Now it feels odd when you stick to say 70 the bike feels like it wants to go faster .. it feels like a slight jerk but ita a jerk forward not slow down jerk . ?????

So If I get.cought for speeding I'll blame the bike lol was not me officer it was the bike it wants.to.go.fast ..honest ..lol.

I had this happen a couple of times when approaching 70 last summer, proper creeped me out. Hasn’t happened since so i never found out what that was :oops: