Do’s & Dont’s of touring

Ross

Most probably hotels im not sure the Missis will be too happy about camping. But then again if im the one riding she doesnt have much choice 😂. I personally wouldnt mind a bit of camping........What things do i deffiantly HAVE to bring with me?

You might find a new Missis comes in handy......'cos the old one will probably be living it up in a hotel dining off the a-la-carte menu while you are cringing round a guttering paraffin stove.. trying to keep the wind off it........ :shock:

Maybe we can put the whole spelling and grammar thing to bed eh?

It's not just this forum that has poor spelling and grammar it's most forum I visit. The education system has let down so many people, or they were too busy bunking off :D

Ya bin at the google fing agin

Nope, I just went to school.

It's not just this forum that has poor spelling and grammar it's most forum I visit. The education system has let down so many people, or they were too busy bunking off :D

If you're going to call people out for using words and phrases with which you don't agree then you've got to accept that people will pull you up too.

Maybe be less supercilious and condescending about it.

I would not worry about where to stay as long there are camping sites on the way. But depend where and when you want to go.

If you will go to Mediterranean, from may to September it is good idea to book hotels in advance. As well camping.

If you are going to be in Germany,Austria there is a lot of camping sites and all are good equipped and always you will find the spot for one tent.

From tools side, all depends from your knowledge and skills. I personally have tire repair kit plus tire foam (that is the firs and best solution for fast and clean repair), and portable compressor to inflate the tires. Of course chain lube as well. Cable ties and duct tape are must. For anything else there is the master card.

I would not worry about where to stay as long there are camping sites on the way. But depend where and when you want to go.

If you will go to Mediterranean, from may to September it is good idea to book hotels in advance. As well camping.

If you are going to be in Germany,Austria there is a lot of camping sites and all are good equipped and always you will find the spot for one tent.

From tools side, all depends from your knowledge and skills. I personally have tire repair kit plus tire foam (that is the firs and best solution for fast and clean repair), and portable compressor to inflate the tires. Of course chain lube as well. Cable ties and duct tape are must. For anything else there is the master card.

I was thinking of going mid september once the schools have gone back. Ill be putting a tent on the supply list. I think ill be heading towards northen spain/barca get the ferry to santander.

My mechanical knoledge does not strech very far at all i know how to tension my chain 😂 so ill be deffo getting breakdown cover! Ill invest in the other bits you mentioned.

I was thinking of booking my first hotel then i have somewhere to aim for and a decents nights sleep and a hot shower so im fresh and ready for the next day. Then i think it will be word of mouth and reccomendations. Booking.com may come in handy a few times too.

All this information and experience is very helpful and reassuring so thanks you very much. Keep it coming

I know a couple of hotels within an hour of Santander.

http://hotelpicosdeuropa.com/ (Arenas De Cabrales)

https://hoteldonpacollanes.com/en/ (Llanes) pronounced Yanez

https://www.hotelesmontemar.com/ also in Llanes

You can book via the websites or use Booking.com or Trivago or Hotels.com or any booking site of your choice.

Guest Richzx6r

It all depends on if you are taking a pillion along too, if I'm not taking a pillion tools wise I'll take screwdriver and socket set and a roll of spanners, the obligatory duck tape and puncture repair kit and chain lube, then tent if camping and various other bits and pieces that I think may come in useful should i break down

Maybe be less supercilious and condescending about it.

It's not as bad using unnecessary long words .....

Supercilious .....oh the irony :lol: :lol:

It all depends on if you are taking a pillion along too, if I'm not taking a pillion tools wise I'll take screwdriver and socket set and a roll of spanners, the obligatory duck tape and puncture repair kit and chain lube, then tent if camping and various other bits and pieces that I think may come in useful should i break down

Ill be taking the missis and breakdown cover and a few little tools. If worst come to worst inmight be luckily enough if a friendly fellow biker stopped to help me out.

Ive done the oil change, oil filter, chain and sprokets airfilter and spark plugs are getting done next week so should be all good to go and cross fingers it will run smoothly for the trip

Guest Richzx6r

Ill be taking the missis and breakdown cover and a few little tools. If worst come to worst inmight be luckily enough if a friendly fellow biker stopped to help me out.

Ive done the oil change, oil filter, chain and sprokets airfilter and spark plugs are getting done next week so should be all good to go and cross fingers it will run smoothly for the trip

I'm sure everything will run smoothly mate, but should something go wrong with the bike try and be as methodical and cool headed as possible but I'm sure it will be a good trip

I'm sure everything will run smoothly mate, but should something go wrong with the bike try and be as methodical and cool headed as possible but I'm sure it will be a good trip

Thanks! Aslong as the beers cold and the locals are friendly im game!

Personally I much prefer ferries to the tunnel. Mainly cos I don't particularly like North West France so like to take a ferry to Normandy or Brittany from Portsmouth (have family there). You're then straight into some nice (to me) parts of France and can get interesting routes if you are going further East or South.

Personally I much prefer ferries to the tunnel. Mainly cos I don't particularly like North West France so like to take a ferry to Normandy or Brittany from Portsmouth (have family there). You're then straight into some nice (to me) parts of France and can get interesting routes if you are going further East or South.

Good shout, i didnt think of getting a ferry further south of france, i will check out the prices now, the bilbao/santander is rather expensive

I always do the ferry!

But its an over night ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge its stupid not to for me! as its on my doorstep! it saves fighting with the traffic down south going through the tunnel to then have an overnight stop!

Getting the ferry means I can leave a day earlier as I can do a days work get the ferry and relax and wake up in Belgium

The cost for me can work out very similar

Im based in Ascot in Berkshire so the dover/portmouth/plymouth/poole ferrys arnt far enough to warrent an overnight stay which is handy

Another suggestion is to get the ferry to Santander or Bilbao and after spending some time in the Pyrenees... Wend your way back to the Channel... For me that would mean up the eastern side of France.. See the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, the Pyrenees and the French Alps.. Maybe a diversion through the Swiss Alps too. Perfect. But that really depends on how much time you have to play with.

There's never enough time.

I've done 10 days, two weeks and three weeks over the years. Every time, I come back wishing I could have spent more time on some of the roads and at some of the stops.

Maybe I'll try four weeks some time (yes, I'm retired !) :D