TomTom Rider 550 yes please!

Guest Richzx6r

Before you do just check out calimoto it's got some useful features as free but if you subscribe which is £5 a week or something, iv just got it and so far have been happy with it the only problem with it is its from your phone

Im going out and buying a new TomTom Rider 550 on saturday its £399 but looks like a serious bit of kitttt!

Its good, princely but good, I got it as soon it was released premium pack and I am really happy with it. I had and still have old TomTom rider 2 got it more than 10 years ago, and works good just memory is not big enough anymore to support all Europe.

So I am just use to it and to MyDrive application for tomtom.

If money is not an issue than go for it

Before you do just check out calimoto it's got some useful features as free but if you subscribe which is £5 a week or something, iv just got it and so far have been happy with it the only problem with it is its from your phone

Id rather an actual gps device. More reliable, 99% of the time your going to have a signel, its waterproof, its got everything you could want! Pretty sure you can put sd cards in them now for memory. Also update it over wifi no pc needed. You can hotspot it to your ohone and have life traffic and speed cameras. The list just goes on. Looks naughty!

Yes... I'm of that rare breed who doesn't own a Smart Phone. And my sat nav has proved itself multiple times over the years. Almost 10yrs old now and still going strong. Had it wired direct to the battery on the GS and either turned it off or took it out of its cradle when the bike was parked up overnight. New bike it's switched to the ignition. If anything were to go wrong with it, then I would immediately replace it. No question.

Guest Richzx6r

That's fair enough, not sure where I could put a satnav on my ninja there's literally no room to put anything and having a double bubble screen not sure anything would stick to it properly that I could trust

Thats the trouble with sports bikes everythings crammed on. If i was just pottering here and there inwouldnt bother bit because i want tondo distence riding tye odds are stacked against me so i need one haha

Guest Richzx6r

I have just about been able to put a double USB socket on the cage without it obscuring vision of the speedo though guess that would give me reason to why I was riding so fast......sorry officer I can't say how fast I was going because I can't see the speedo :thumb:

389 on sportsbikeshop.

Could be worth it for speed cameras.

Not sure what pack that is. Bit i can get it locally from infinity motorcycles its the premium pack and it comes with the zip up carry case for the nav, the ram mount to fix it to the bike the hard wire to charge it on the bike, (im not sure if my 12v plug in charger works) and unlimted map updates free of charge for the life time of your system

I’ve had the Rider 410 premium for a few years now. It’s a good bit of kit. I’ve used it in the car good few times and on the bike a lot.

It can be a bit slow a buggy occasionally. I have to resort to turning it off and on again.

Also if it’s been sat in the draw for any length of time without getting regular updates it can freeze and not connect to MyDrive.

Those are just minor niggles though.

I’ve had the Rider 410 premium for a few years now. It’s a good bit of kit. I’ve used it in the car good few times and on the bike a lot.

It can be a bit slow a buggy occasionally. I have to resort to turning it off and on again.

Also if it’s been sat in the draw for any length of time without getting regular updates it can freeze and not connect to MyDrive.

Those are just minor niggles though.

The new Rider 550 has a quad core processer in it so should be nice and lively. Also you connect the 550 to wifi to update it so its much eaiser and can be done almost anywhere (with wifi 😂)

The Tomtom Rider 550 certainly does update by WiFi but it needs to be a direct connection, not a connection you have to access via a web page as you do in many hotels.

You can however use your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot and do it that way as long as you have enough data allowance.

As well as the Rider 550 I have a Galaxy S8 running the Tomtom App as a back up. Phones are OK but dedicated Motorcycle PNDs are better for use with gloves on.

The Tomtom App uses the same interface as the 550.

Happy to be corrected but I can't see anything being better than my waterproof Samsung s7 with Google maps which now does speed cameras.

I'm of the same opinion with my iPhone XS Max. Using gloves with touch sensitive figures means that you still retain full functionality. I use Waze, Scenic and Google maps sometimes Apple maps but mostly Waze.

One of the drawbacks of using a smartphone on a motorcycle is the very harsh environment they have to perform in. Whilst they have ingress protection if you happen to drop them in the bath or bucket of water, if you introduce vibration to the mix they are out of their design parameters. Which is why I use my S8 and Tomtom App as a back up only. The dedicated motorcycle PNDs are more expensive, agreed, but they are more expensive because of the extra engineering they need to cope with the motorcycle environment.

Indeed, my Zumo 660 is tough. One year outside the Nurburgring... (Awful name drop) I was in too much of a rush and didn't lock it properly to its mount. It flew off at 60mph and was almost immediately ridden over by a TRX850. 500lb of bike plus rider and the Zumo survived all that with little more than a little paint scrape. That was 8yrs ago and it still works perfectly today and is on its second battery.

Is this waterproof? As in It wont die in torrential rain or just shower proof? As in it can get a tad moist before it throws it's hand in?

The Zumo is rated IPX7

The rider 550 is also IPX7

this means it can be dropped into a 3 foot deep bucket of water and nothing will happen. and the standard test lasts 30 minutes.

its the highest waterproof rating for normal temperatures. higher ratings are for very hot/cold temperatures.. boiling and freezing while submeresed.

That's fair enough, not sure where I could put a satnav on my ninja there's literally no room to put anything and having a double bubble screen not sure anything would stick to it properly that I could trust

My Garmin came with a fancy mount thing that I managed to fanangle onto the cage. Wrapped a bit of rubber mat round the left hand side to make it fat enough for the clamp

20180609_130632.thumb.jpg.3ac891b4a0d08bd510e5dab139bc900e.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

My Garmin came with a fancy mount thing that I managed to fanangle onto the cage. Wrapped a bit of rubber mat round the left hand side to make it fat enough for the clamp

From that pic it looks like you have more room than I do on mine......which is odd as yours is a j1 too is it not? I shall post a pic of mine later