Gear indicator.

Hi all . I guess i have an old bike due to it not having a gear indicator. . I had a go of my bro in laws bike over the Xmas time as it was parked in my garage . So to keep the engine and parts moving . I used to take his bike out once a week . so his bike is FJR 1300 and it's got a gear indicator. It never bothered me not having one . But now if used a bike that's got one I'm kinda missing it . So iv looked on the net and found one that you stick a magnet on the gear selector and another part on the side the engine and when you go up or down it sends a signal to the indicator you put on the bars and it tells you what gear your in .

Any thoughts on this has any one bought one use one . Or any other type out there I can use . As I'm not keen on magnet .. I think they will fall off . ..cheers .

A previous owner fitted a healtech gipro gear indicator to my bike. This isn't done via a magnet, it is wired in. I have no idea how easy it is to fit but it works well.

My 125 didn't have a gear indicator and I did eventually get a feel for what gear I was in based in speed and revs, but I do prefer having one versus not.

Had one one of the school bikes, never looked at it, can't change up your in top, can't change down your in first, engine sounds too fast change up or slow down, repeat as required :D

:stupid:

But other way round for me, my 125 has one but training school bike for DAS didn't, was worried as I'd got into habit of checking it before a corner but didn't miss it at all and I was not looking at clocks coming up to a corner instead of the road :lol:

Hi all . I guess i have an old bike due to it not having a gear indicator. . I had a go of my bro in laws bike over the Xmas time as it was parked in my garage . So to keep the engine and parts moving . I used to take his bike out once a week . so his bike is FJR 1300 and it's got a gear indicator. It never bothered me not having one . But now if used a bike that's got one I'm kinda missing it . So iv looked on the net and found one that you stick a magnet on the gear selector and another part on the side the engine and when you go up or down it sends a signal to the indicator you put on the bars and it tells you what gear your in .

Any thoughts on this has any one bought one use one . Or any other type out there I can use . As I'm not keen on magnet .. I think they will fall off . ..cheers .

I put one on my Honda CB 1000r , mainly just to stop me going for for that imaginary extra top gear , it plugged into the diagnostics port, wire going to handle bars where I mounted the little digital box using double sided tape ,

I think I've still got it in me garage somewhere ( not sure I'll have to look ) if it's any good to you , you can have it for the postage .

Hi . Thank you that be fantastic . The only time I wished I had it on display as you said hit top gear then you try for the imaginary gear lol . Glad I'm not the only one doing it. Thank you .

I’ll have a look weekend see if I still got it 👍

I've just gone from an SV650 to a Z1000SX. Both have gear indicators and while I take little notice of it on the SV, on the SX I'm still looking for that extra gear despite seeing a big 6 in front of me. I guess I'll get used to the difference one day.

Hi . Thank you that be fantastic . The only time I wished I had it on display as you said hit top gear then you try for the imaginary gear lol . Glad I'm not the only one doing it. Thank you .

I’ll have a look weekend see if I still got it 👍

:cheers: . Thank you ..

Iv got my dash cam screen in front of my rev counter. But before it was there I used to check the revs .

It never bothered me untill I had a go of his bike . If always had old bikes so gear indcators must be a modern thing lol

I’ve had a gear indicator on my last two bikes.

In my opinion they do help. It’s one less thing to think about which leaves you to get on with concentrating on other things.

I don’t use it all the time, but since using one I’d rather have it than not.

Edited by fullscreenaging

Gear indicator on the Africa Twin makes me laugh out loud. "When did that happen?"

Gear indicator on the GS... I very rarely look at. riding that bike for so long its almost like its a part of me. Only thing I look at now is the neutral light to check its off when I park the bike on a hill.

I been looking at one but they need to be connected to the bikes ECU. unit I think he said but my bike don't have one so i cant just plug one in so he said about the magnet type . . Any one know about fitting one to a old bike it 96 P reg .

I been looking at one but they need to be connected to the bikes ECU. unit I think he said but my bike don't have one so i cant just plug one in so he said about the magnet type . . Any one know about fitting one to a old bike it 96 P reg .

Must of sold the one I had or left it on bike when I sold it , it wouldn't of been no good for your bike as it plugged into diagnostics port ,

Used to be able to get ones that read the wheel speed and engine speed and calculate which gear you are in.

Gear indicators are pointless though in real life. You wont use it

• 9 months later...

I put one on my Honda CB 1000r , mainly just to stop me going for for that imaginary extra top gear , it plugged into the diagnostics port, wire going to handle bars where I mounted the little digital box using double sided tape ,

I think I've still got it in me garage somewhere ( not sure I'll have to look ) if it's any good to you , you can have it for the postage .

I have a suzuki GS550 four 1977, it has a gear indicator as standard.