over used word

skyrider

Elevator, Candy, Garbage, Cupcake and Cookie are some of my least favourite imports that my sons friends use sometimes. Don’t even know why I find it annoying, it really doesn’t matter. Although I’d expect an immediate ban if one of them joins here in a discussion on biscuits and starts trying to call them cookies :hammer:

What about forum cookies ehhhhh?

English as a language is an amalgam of many foreign words. We will hijack any useful foreign word if we don't have an equivalent, such as schadenfreude or glasnost or entrepreneur. We have no institution like the French language society who's sole aim is to preserve the French language.

Thank god. We also get to have endless arguments with Americans over how words should be spelt. We of course are correct and they get quite upset when you tell them they don't speak English. :evil:

Except that a lot of American usage is really closer to the original English than our own modern usage. Languages change and evolve but the Americans seem to have got stuck in a bit of a time warp with some words. Their version is sometimes more 'English' than English.

And, if you've ever had to teach someone struggling to read to read, you'll realise how much more true to the actual pronunciation it is

Elevator, Candy, Garbage, Cupcake and Cookie are some of my least favourite imports that my sons friends use sometimes. Don’t even know why I find it annoying, it really doesn’t matter. Although I’d expect an immediate ban if one of them joins here in a discussion on biscuits and starts trying to call them cookies :hammer:

What about forum cookies ehhhhh?

Even I can’t make a conversation out of those :lol:

Ah, but ....

Are all internet cookies the same? (I think not)

If they are not, what flavours are they?

Has each cookie got its own flavour?

What flavour is TMBF cookie?

I think we should be told !!

I could not agree more ! To be honest pal, I experiencing a real load of thick fks who of which have a real addiction for the words Literally and Actually..... Got my head batterd ! Every bloody 3rd word ! I think they assume they sound intelligent but of course they expose the reality as they don't even know why the Fk they are using these words ! Me ? I no English teacher but ffs I wish they'd actually literally gimme a break :booty:

On the subject of nauseating Americanisms, one of my US clients said this during a conference call a couple of years ago:

"Let us circle back to you on this Mark, and then we can reach out when we're ready to schedule a re-huddle."

:o

On the subject of nauseating Americanisms, one of my US clients said this during a conference call a couple of years ago:

"Let us circle back to you on this Mark, and then we can reach out when we're ready to schedule a re-huddle."

:o

that sounds like a load of tripe :up:

I have a strict policy of not sharing my chocolate digestives unless people refer to them as biscuits. Anyone that asks for a cookie is informed that I don't have any. And to be honest I wouldn't normally share my biscuits at all but I'm trying to train them to speak correctly and have some decorum, and chocolatey biscuity rewards are always a good motivator.

I have a strict policy of not sharing my chocolate digestives unless people refer to them as biscuits. Anyone that asks for a cookie is informed that I don't have any. And to be honest I wouldn't normally share my biscuits at all but I'm trying to train them to speak correctly and have some decorum, and chocolatey biscuity rewards are always a good motivator.

I'm completely with you in not referring to a biscuit as a cookie but am I ok to refer to a cookie as a cookie ? I mean those big bendy irregular shaped things with choc chips in that are sold in bags of three. They can't be biscuits because they are only baked once whereas a biscuit should technically be baked twice . I doubt, however, that this process applies to all biscuits especially those mass produced on an industrial scale .

Hack

As in 'life hack'. What usually follows this over used word is a tedious 20 minute video of someone spending 3 days and £285 to make a tool that costs a couple of quid or using something really weird to do a job that there is already a simple solution for.

My eldest daughter always says cinemaS not cinema. Drives me mad :evil:

"we are going to the cinemas" to which I usually respond "you're only going to one aren't you?"

She doesn't understand what I mean though :roll:

Hack

As in 'life hack'. What usually follows this over used word is a tedious 20 minute video of someone spending 3 days and £285 to make a tool that costs a couple of quid or using something really weird to do a job that there is already a simple solution for.

Today I was watching a useful instructional vid on YouTube and in automatically rolled onto another one that was a completely unrelated ‘life hack’ - they rolled up their sleeves. That’s it, there was no more to it, it was presented as a fashion statement :bang:

I'm completely with you in not referring to a biscuit as a cookie but am I ok to refer to a cookie as a cookie ? I mean those big bendy irregular shaped things with choc chips in that are sold in bags of three. They can't be biscuits because they are only baked once whereas a biscuit should technically be baked twice . I doubt, however, that this process applies to all biscuits especially those mass produced on an industrial scale .

Those oversized, oversugared abominations are definitely cookies. No upstanding British citizen (including the ones who use words like ‘zip tie’ or ‘bugs’ :wink: ) would ever come up with such an OTT creation.

The word I hate the most is "fami-lam"

"Visiting the familam today"

No Dani, with your infinity symbol neck tat and 'live love laugh' decal on the wall, you are seeing your parents today. That is not a word.

No Dani, with your infinity symbol neck tat and 'live love laugh' decal on the wall, you are seeing your parents today. That is not a word.

WTF is a familam? Not doing most social media I am far behind the curve of modern usages but I can't even work out where that particular abomination comes from.

WTF is a familam? Not doing most social media I am far behind the curve of modern usages but I can't even work out where that particular abomination comes from.

Abomination is correct. It social media slang for family. Most used by people (mainly women) trying to be cool I think.

No upstanding British citizen (including the ones who use words like ‘zip tie’ or ‘bugs’ :wink: ) would ever come up with such an OTT creation.

Ah, but 'bugs' is only incorrect when applied to insects in general: it is the correct common name for the order Hemiptera, which includes aphids, leafhoppers and shield bugs. All (true) bugs are bugs, but not all bugs are (true) bugs. Try explaining that to someone in a MAGA hat... :lol:

No upstanding British citizen (including the ones who use words like ‘zip tie’ or ‘bugs’ :wink: ) would ever come up with such an OTT creation.

Ah, but 'bugs' is only incorrect when applied to insects in general: it is the correct common name for the order Hemiptera, which includes aphids, leafhoppers and shield bugs. All (true) bugs are bugs, but not all bugs are (true) bugs. Try explaining that to someone in a MAGA hat... :lol:

Once again you float like a lepidoptera and sting like a hymenoptera

'Moving forwards' or the equally inane 'going forward'. I must have seen it a dozen times in the meeting minutes I'm reading. 'Moving forwards, it was decided that we will...'.

Not only is it extremely irritating, but since time only moves in one direction is is also entirely redundant.