Chain Wax vs Chain Lube

Noble Dave

I'll be doing what I have done on the Bicycle. use oil during the winter and wax during the summer and try to remember to reapply after riding in the wet. Probably not do the switch until its a lot warmer. but then, i ordinarily have no need to ride the bike when its raining. Work is just over a mile from home.

I have used normal oil and the white wax one, i much prefer the wax one for o-ring chains, once it's hardened on the chain(5-10 mins), it stays there, no mess, no rust, no problems, when you don't see the white stuff anymore, time to clean and re-apply! I have found that the other type of chain lube flings and creates a mess on the rear wheel, it gathers crap off the road, and it doesn't last as long(rust)

The essential thing is that you NEED to clean and lube your chain every 2-3 weeks, or even weekly if youre stacking up miles or you're riding in wet conditions.

I used wax on new Zontes Firefly, but dealer advised oil as this penetrates to chainpins in links more readily. I agree with poster who mentions flung off oil allows road muck to stick to back wheel !

Muc-off extreme lube.

It doesn't fling, and I've noticed less tight spots developing over the life of a chain since I swapped to it a few years ago. Could be I've just gotten better at applying it though.

Also has a weirdly nice smell :lol:

Used to swear by Wurth cleaner & dry lube, then used white lithium grease in the winter. Current bike came with a Scottoiler and I love it, just have to lightly oil the side plates when I clean the chain.

My bike had a Scottoiler on it when I got it, I've never used it though. I may give it a whirl but part of me enjoys having an excuse to go out to the garage and get my hands dirty. Part of me also wonders if it even works as when it came to me it was empty.

My bike had a Scottoiler on it when I got it, I've never used it though. I may give it a whirl but part of me enjoys having an excuse to go out to the garage and get my hands dirty. Part of me also wonders if it even works as when it came to me it was empty.

Yeah mine was empty when I got the bike as well, it just needed filled, primed and set. Works perfectly :)

When I got the bike it had the scotolier on it but it was not set up right as I'd fill the bottle up reg the bike and it would empty it all over the chain floor no matter how I turned the nob on the top it didn't work did not went in the bin . Now I use the Scot oil on the chain by running the bike in 1st grear then turn the bottle upside down and I cover the chain with oil . Making sure it's on the both sides .then once its all lubbed up i spray it with WD chain wax its keeps the oil in and any crap of the road stick to the wax not the chain.. When Its time to do it all again I wash all the wax an oil of with asdas own WD40 its like £1.50 a tin one tin cleanes all the crap off the chain . Wipe it all down the start again .

its still winter.. if, and I suppose there probably is oil that has been flung off and onto the bak wheel. who cares? I covered both wheel rims in oil when I first bought it - ACF50 and haven't touched them since.. they're currently black. underneath that; they're gold. its the reason Ive chose "black everything" wheels to replace the originals. so, I don't have to obsess about them. Black rims. black spokes. black hubs.

When I got the bike it had the scotolier on it but it was not set up right as I'd fill the bottle up reg the bike and it would empty it all over the chain floor no matter how I turned the nob on the top it didn't work did not went in the bin.

This is why I haven't bothered with it, plus I already had the Banana Slip. I looked about online and the split seems 50/50 as to whether they are the best thing ever or bin fodder. I'll have another look at it just because I'm curious but over all I'm not sure it will be staying on the bike.

When I first looked at the seller's advert for my bike I spotted a Scottoiler sticker and I thought 'ooh - it's even got a Scottoiler' but no, what my bike has is a Scottoiler sticker. :roll:

I use wax, because I had some in the garage.

Muc-off extreme lube.

It doesn't fling, and I've noticed less tight spots developing over the life of a chain since I swapped to it a few years ago. Could be I've just gotten better at applying it though.

Also has a weirdly nice smell :lol:

I'm a big fan of the extreme lube too minimal fling and great coverage. A can seems to go a long way