TomTom Rider 550 yes please!

My Garmin came with a fancy mount thing that I managed to fanangle onto the cage. Wrapped a bit of rubber mat round the left hand side to make it fat enough for the clamp

:offtopic:

I can just imaging the conversation with Mr Kawasaki:

Designer: Mr Kawasaki, we've made the fairing extra thin and flimsy to save weight and give the rider a better riding experience.

Mr Kawasaki: Very good. I award you 10 Kawasaki points and first choice from the pudding trolley.

Designer: Gosh, thanks Mr Kawasaki... One thing though, we've had to stick a bast*rd big cage in there to stop the fairing flapping all over the place at any sort of speed. Thus ruining all the previous work we've put in.

Mr Kawasaki: 6 months at the back of the lunch queue for you my boy!

If anyone is struggling to fit a sat nav to their bike you should checkout the Telferizer website.

He has done Ram type stem mounts for loads of different sports bikes, I’ve just ordered a screen mount for mine from him, he’s designed it specifically for the Z1000sx.

The guys called Bob and is dead helpful if you call him.

If anyone is struggling to fit a sat nav to their bike you should checkout the Telferizer website.

He has done Ram type stem mounts for loads of different sports bikes, I’ve just ordered a screen mount for mine from him, he’s designed it specifically for the Z1000sx.

The guys called Bob and is dead helpful if you call him.

This is what I have my garmin zumo 590 attached to :)

So far the satnav seems great, havnt given it a proper road test yet but its got a nice weight and solid feel to it. It has LOADS of pre set biker hotels/campsites the lot all logged into it. I like the windey and hilly buttons keeps you off the boring motorway unlike maps on your phone.

I wouldnt trust my phone to get me acroos europe and also i dont fancy paying an arm and a leg for data use abroad

I wouldnt trust my phone to get me acroos europe and also i dont fancy paying an arm and a leg for data use abroad

With the right network there is no charge for data usage abroad

So far the satnav seems great, havnt given it a proper road test yet but its got a nice weight and solid feel to it. It has LOADS of pre set biker hotels/campsites the lot all logged into it. I like the windey and hilly buttons keeps you off the boring motorway unlike maps on your phone.

Scenic is a brilliant app to take you on the winding road. All the data I could ever want is built in to my O2 allowance.

With the right network there is no charge for data usage abroad

With the right app and pre loaded maps you don't need any network.

Guest Richzx6r

That's fair enough, not sure where I could put a satnav on my ninja there's literally no room to put anything and having a double bubble screen not sure anything would stick to it properly that I could trust

My Garmin came with a fancy mount thing that I managed to fanangle onto the cage. Wrapped a bit of rubber mat round the left hand side to make it fat enough for the clamp

Not sure if I have that much room for anything??

15518213682714491402674445332053.thumb.jpg.0a4b40892a18e6a3546ac18f92120473.jpg

Does the telferizer bod do mounts for smart phones?

No. what he does is the part that allows you to connect a mount to your bike.

for example, if you were to buy a sat nav like a garmin, you get a few fitting options with it which usually means fixing the satnav mount to the handlebars. That doesnt suit everyone and it definitely doesnt suit every bike. some, sports bikes in particular with clip-ons just dont have the space. so what he produces is a RAM ball attached to a bolt wich usually replaces the central bolt on the central yoke.

once you have that then it opens up all sorts of options to actually connect the satnav

for a kawasaki that might be something like this:

ZZR1400best.jpg.9be0ddd3e2d50b647efba1d13822daf1.jpg

you would then add an arm and for a smart phone something like an X-grip.

like this... front view

RAM-HOL-UN10BCU.thumb.jpg.f583a03c3b8af6069bbd492b85511388.jpg

rear view.

RAM-HOL-UN10BCUIU2.thumb.jpg.f9be66f963bc53abffcf99a20f2ae5dc.jpg

as you can see the mount has a ball on its rear.. and so does the telfrizer have a ball. you connect the two with an arm.. and the balls allow the X-Grip to be positioned to suit you.

here is an example of a short arm. and you can see where the balls fit and are gripped by turning the lever to grip them both.

RAM-B-201U-A.thumb.jpg.37a3a129128cb965c16eae4e0cfb74cf.jpg

Guest Richzx6r

Does the telferizer bod do mounts for smart phones?

No. what he does is the part that allows you to connect a mount to your bike.

for example, if you were to buy a sat nav like a garmin, you get a few fitting options with it which usually means fixing the satnav mount to the handlebars. That doesnt suit everyone and it definitely doesnt suit every bike. some, sports bikes in particular with clip-ons just dont have the space. so what he produces is a RAM ball attached to a bolt wich usually replaces the central bolt on the central yoke.

once you have that then it opens up all sorts of options to actually connect the satnav

for a kawasaki that might be something like this:

ZZR1400best.jpg

you would then add an arm and for a smart phone something like an X-grip.

like this... front view

RAM-HOL-UN10BCU.jpg

rear view.

RAM-HOL-UN10BCUIU2.jpg

as you can see the mount has a ball on its rear.. and so does the telfrizer have a ball. you connect the two with an arm.. and the balls allow the X-Grip to be positioned to suit you.

here is an example of a short arm. and you can see where the balls fit and are gripped by turning the lever to grip them both.

RAM-B-201U-A.jpg

Ok thanks for that, I may look in to an investment like that

• 1 month later...

I used mine on my first long distance trip last weekend and it worked well. Only strange thing was that it kept rotating the display by itself whenever I picked up speed a bit (to reach the speed limit of course...). So the display would rotate by 90 degrees or even go upside down! That was rather annoying, but it sorted itself out every time and didn't cause me any problems. I guess I can just lock the screen, if possible.

I used mine on my first long distance trip last weekend and it worked well. Only strange thing was that it kept rotating the display by itself whenever I picked up speed a bit (to reach the speed limit of course...). So the display would rotate by 90 degrees or even go upside down! That was rather annoying, but it sorted itself out every time and didn't cause me any problems. I guess I can just lock the screen, if possible.

It happens when you go around bends and lean the bike over, it thinks you are turning it around.

If you go into settings - appearance - display and switch on the orientation lock. Make sure it is in the orientation you want before you lock it.

Hope that helps.

It happens when you go around bends and lean the bike over, it thinks you are turning it around.

If you go into settings - appearance - display and switch on the orientation lock. Make sure it is in the orientation you want before you lock it.

Hope that helps.

Yep. I thought it'd be easy enough to do. I wasn't going around corners, it was in a straight line each time.

It depends where it located.

When I bought my Versys GT it came with a bracket that Kawasaki had moved from above the clocks to the centre of the bars for that year. The bracket bolted to the bar risers.

My 410’s display would rotate, flicker and the unit would keep turning on and off. This would only happen when giving it sone beans due to the vibes coming off the bars. I decided to take it off and buy the above the clocks bracket from SW Motec and no more problems.

It depends where it located.

When I bought my Versys GT it came with a bracket that Kawasaki had moved from above the clocks to the centre of the bars for that year. The bracket bolted to the bar risers.

My 410’s display would rotate, flicker and the unit would keep turning on and off. This would only happen when giving it sone beans due to the vibes coming off the bars. I decided to take it off and buy the above the clocks bracket from SW Motec and no more problems.

Mine is on a ram mount in the centre of the yoke, so it's probably that. As I said, it only happened when I opened it up a bit. Locking the screen is an easy fix though.

Unless I'm missing something (and I may be) then Google Maps downloaded and updated every month is every bit as good as a dedicated sat nav. It can be used offline so there are no data charges. I have an old android phone with a 5.something inch screen and it has never let me down. I'm not being critical of anyone who prefers a dedicated sat nav but this method works for me.