Stuck Front Axle

diego1255

Hi All.

I am attempting to service my GZ125, part of this is changing the front wheel bearings.

f0rAdXF.png

First of all, I have provided above a parts diagram for the front wheel assembly, so that my explanations are clearer.

• (img reference 4)[/color] from its thread in the fork, and the axle it self is loose.

• However, as I turned the axle, I noticed that the Speedo Gear (img reference 7) turned with the axle. This forced me to disconnect the speedo cable from the gear unit.

It is my understanding that the speedo gear should be loose around the axle just like the wheel is, however it appears that the gear unit has corroded onto the axle. So far I have tapped the axle with a hammer and applied some WD40 + Unleaded Petrol to try and loosen the corrosion. Finally below, I also provided a video that shows the motion of the axle.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Your advice is welcome. I just hope my mechanical facade doesn't damage anything.

P.S. The front wheel is suspended in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxI71uF9bMQ

Thanks All

Don't use petrol. Use WD or ideally Plusgas. Leave it overnight. . It will free off eventually but be careful not to apply too much pressure to the fork leg Get a mate to hold the fork leg while you hit the end of the axle first one way, then the other. Be careful not to apply too much pressure to the fork leg.

Don't keep hitting spindle in same direction or it will jam soid. Use plenty of plus gas, leave it for a while, then try to move spindle to and fro until it releases.

I can't quite see why the speedo drive is stuck . Surely if the spindle has been screwed out of left hand fork it has had to have moved at least one and a half inches to the right and should have pulled through the speedo drive already. I would have thought that a swift tap with a hammer using a drift ( a metal rod ) and it should shoot out without much effort. Anyway ,what about putting a bit of light oil on the spindle and then screwing it back in and then out again a few times ?

I have no success so far, however:

@megawatt I can confirm that hitting the spindle / axle directly outwards does indeed slowly bend the forks out of place.

Do not use major force in this manner.

@fastbob I am currently attempting to do just that using some light oil. Hopefully a bazillion of these attempts will break the corrosion.

Wish me luck.

Thank you for your input guys.

I am going to be away from my bike for the next couple of days, when I get back I will continue working on this. If I fix this myself, I'll let you know how I managed it.

I've not seen this issue on the internet yet, so I want to share with the community.

Wish me luck :P

Thank you for your input guys.

I am going to be away from my bike for the next couple of days, when I get back I will continue working on this. If I fix this myself, I'll let you know how I managed it.

I've not seen this issue on the internet yet, so I want to share with the community.

Wish me luck :P

You've probably not seen this issue on the internet because generally speaking wheel spindles just pull out with a little effort. Speedo drives are not even a particularly tight fit in my experience which makes this all the more puzzling.

Maybe wind the spindle back in until the speedo drive locates in place, then ratchet strap the forks together and try winding the axle out again?

[mention]Justarn[/mention]

That's right. All I need to do is replace my front wheel bearings to pass my MOT.

My bike has failed about 7 items for MOT, the rest of them have been fixed by yours truly.

I've had several issues, some of them I created but they have ALL been resolved.

The riding season is here! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Maybe wind the spindle back in until the speedo drive locates in place, then ratchet strap the forks together and try winding the axle out again?

I like that idea.

What does that Allen bolt in the right hand fork do? Have you removed it ?

That is just the "tightener" bolt that squeezes the fork onto the spindle after its screwed in.

Sadly yes I have removed it. The underlying issue is the corroded Speedo Gear, and my inability to exert enough force to break it from the axle. I've got some buddies coming with me on Sunday so that we can hold the weight of the forks and the motorbike itself in place. For me the issue was doing this alone so far.

• 2 years later...
On 06/03/2019 at 12:35, diego1255 said:

If I fix this myself, I'll let you know how I managed it.

Better late than never! Oh well. At least I have something for you guys.

Here is how I fixed this issue.

The actual cause of this was that the housing of the speedo gear unit (reference no.7 on provided image) that goes around the spindle has completely chemically binded onto the spindle it self. I have tried a dozen chemicals, hard blows with a hammer and even a blow torch nothing would relent the bite it held.

I resulted to the extreme, power tools. I used an angle grinder to cut the spindle into pieces. I had to completely ruin the spindle and the speedo unit and order a new one. This took me weeks to fix and it was bizzare. When apart, it appeared that the spindle was welded onto the housing of the speedo gears!

I recently ran into a similar problem in the drum brake also. However that was an easy fix.

• Like 1