Where to mount switches on a sports bike

Pbassred

Its not like there's an excess of real estate. I don't really want to cut big square holes in the fairing. I don't even know where to buy water proof switches. Any suggestions?

Guest Richzx6r

It's not a switch but I do have a double USB socket on my bike which is attached to the fairing stay cage bracket type thing on the j1 just so I can charge my phone

This is rather an odd question from someone who's profile states that they are an Electro Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer. What are these auxiliary electrical systems that you want to operate ?

Guest Richzx6r

This is rather an odd question from someone who's profile states that they are an Electro Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer. What are these auxiliary electrical systems that you want to operate ?

Maybe a hiab on the back or spike dispenser for when the metal sheep drivers get cocky and need pulling down a peg or 3

Well I stood next to a brand new CBR 500 today and for the life of me I cant see anywhere I'd like to put any additional switches on it .

It's not a switch but I do have a double USB socket on my bike which is attached to the fairing stay cage bracket type thing on the j1 just so I can charge my phone

Yeah I mounted my satnav on the cage. Bloody awkward though as it's such a small diameter! Had to wrap some rubber pads round to get it to stay on!

Completely off topic I know but the other day I was walking past a colleague's CBR 500 when I suddenly noticed the wheels . WTF ! They look so spindly and fragile . There's hardly anything of them , I can't believe they have the strength to support the bike not alone survive the most minor of knocks . But hey , Honda must know what they're doing , right ?

c2.jpg.bbe48037c368a9295af54054b0c9346d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This is rather an odd question from someone who's profile states that they are an Electro Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer.
Not really Bob. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer not an electrician they are different disciplines. In any case, the question was WHERE.

This is rather an odd question from someone who's profile states that they are an Electro Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer.
Not really Bob. I'm a Manufacturing Engineer not an electrician they are different disciplines. In any case, the question was WHERE.

And an electrician is not the same as an electrical engineer. Just saying.

And an electrician is not the same as an electrical engineer. Just saying.

I understand but nonetheless I would have thought that someone with that degree of expertise would have been able to imagine where to put a switch or switches on a bike that has no obvious places to install them without cutting the plastics .

Edited by fastbob

You don't need to be an electrician to know where to mount a switch anyway. You just need common sense :thumb:

Seemingly in short supply these days.