Ground anchor

So Im gonna be needing a ground anchor for the time being until the 125 is sold and i can squeeze mine into the utility room.

It's going onto concrete needs to be something that can drill in neatly i guess? my fella also has a big bike so will probably attach his too. doesnt need to be pretty just practical.

I got an Oxford one recently. I changed insurer to get a better deal but new insurer required the bike be chained to ground anchor at night. ,ost wasa bout £18.

The Oxford one is easy to fix, drill 2 holes in the concrete, all fixings, even an allen key supplied.

Just need a good electric drill and a masonry bit.

Yep as above. I bought an Oxford Brute Force ground anchor many moons ago. Highly recommend them, easy to fit and very sturdy. If fitting to a wall be careful how close to the brick edge you drill as the brick can crack. Fit into concrete if possible.

I got this one not necessarily from same shop, but price is more or less same.

4 ground bolts. After I drilled holes I fill them with gorilla glue, just in case.

And you can squeeze two chains trough the eye.

https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-wba-100-ground-anchor-90258.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Bike+Locks+%26+Security&ucpo=31636&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpvDG2Mnv4AIVybvtCh3irgX1EAQYByABEgJm9_D_BwE

Whatever you go with do some trial fits before you drill any holes. I fitted mine when I had my WR, which had tons of ground clearance and space between the frame and the engine to loop the chain through, its was also light so picking it up and getting it in just the right position was easy - the Bandit not so much! Unless I lay flat on the floor its pretty much impossible to put the chain through anything that doesn't just unbolt and still get it through the anchor. Coupled with the fact its easy to scrape the can on the wall due to the extra width of the Bandit I don't really use it much now.

Whatever you go with do some trial fits before you drill any holes. I fitted mine when I had my WR, which had tons of ground clearance and space between the frame and the engine to loop the chain through, its was also light so picking it up and getting it in just the right position was easy - the Bandit not so much! Unless I lay flat on the floor its pretty much impossible to put the chain through anything that doesn't just unbolt and still get it through the anchor. Coupled with the fact its easy to scrape the can on the wall due to the extra width of the Bandit I don't really use it much now.

Yesit is important to plan and test before you make some holes, especially if you want to secure two bikes on same ground anchor. As well to think if you decide to change your bike.

I actually placed bike on abba stand and then looked for best anchor position, and it work when bike is of the stand. Probability will work for many different bikes as well.

Important is to get chain long enough, 1.8m and 2.0m, les than 1.8 will be short.

E68438B0-9997-4BD8-993E-BBF579ACCCAC.thumb.jpeg.79058bdfe769ebcd0d580509e75c991a.jpeg

C3F35A82-557F-4005-B951-8DCF26715F3E.thumb.jpeg.4dc35daff0d4381b0419413effeddbc0.jpeg

43AA33CC-CB64-48DD-BA39-B648BA8169E3.thumb.jpeg.762cb5429f12bc35d1778e8c1f3a6e20.jpeg

Important is to get chain long enough, 1.8m and 2.0m, les than 1.8 will be short.

I got some marine anchor chain for mine for the odd time I lock it up in the shed, much cheaper for the length. I chopped up a large bicycle inner tube and covered the chain with that to protect the frame.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/should-i-use-anchor-chain-to-secure-my-motorcycle

This a great thread :D

[mention]Saddlebags[/mention] and I have been talking about putting in anchors at ours, so cheers [mention]elizabethf[/mention] and all those who've contributed! Very helpful :thumb:

Brackley doesn't feel like it will be a utopia of marine supply shops [mention]Gin[/mention], I was lucky that my parents frequently go to Dorset where there are loads. Looks like there's some places Northampton way according to Google though. Definitely worth pricing up if you need a long length of chain. From memory I paid about £20 for a couple of metres.

Brackley doesn't feel like it will be a utopia of marine supply shops [mention]Gin[/mention] , I was lucky that my parents frequently go to Dorset where there are loads. Looks like there's some places Northampton way according to Google though. Definitely worth pricing up if you need a long length of chain. From memory I paid about £20 for a couple of metres.

Touche my good sir, you have also reminded me to update my location!

We tend to go to Falmouth in Cornwall at least once a year to camp and we're heading to swannage soon camping too, so will have a look about :mrgreen:

Ha Ha! Parallel universe. Unsold CBR125 and a CBR500 in the courtyard/utility space and the wife took delivery of her 125 yesterday so I was outside laying patio slabs.

I work for a company with an abundance of stainless steel so I cast a huge reinforced concrete block around some rings of it.