Fuel leak

SometimesSansEngine

Coming home this evening I could smell a strong smell of fuel. I wasn't sure if it was me or the vehicles I was filtering by. Then on a slow speed corner the bike turned into a skateboard... Just about managed to hold it.

Got to home just around the corner and I'm definitely the source (nob of the day contender)

Lifted the fuel tank to check and I think it's the top clip. It's very loose and when I refit it and start the bike up with the tank elevated I can see it slipping back.

I changed the air filter a few weekends ago and when I refitted the hose I thought it just clicked back. Have I been stupid? It seems to close flush but it's not tight on there at all, you can pull it off with your hand. It doesn't close overly easily so the red clip isn't just slipping on and off

IMG_20190308_183710.thumb.jpg.c098922d2a5535be7371103aafb417db.jpg

Yeh....where did you get the removal instructions from when you took the tank off the first time? Are you 100% sure that this is the source of the leak? Does it leak when bike is standing or only when engine is running?

Slightly better pic, I don't think there's an o-ring there but then I'm not convinced there was one when I took it off (I could be wrong though)

Check parts diagram in manual to see if there should be an o-ring.

Yeh....where did you get the removal instructions from when you took the tank off the first time? Are you 100% sure that this is the source of the leak? Does it leak when bike is standing or only when engine is running?

Haynes manual, backed up with a YT vid to make sure I understood what the book was telling me.

Leak stopped as soon as I stopped the bike.

90% sure this is the source. I refitted, started the bike with the fuel tank propped up on a bit of wood and could see it move back as the engine started. Whilst I ran it while testing all seemed ok, albeit with this moving back.

That diagram shows the hose that is leaking attached to the bottom of a fuel pump assembly. Does the fuel leak when the pump is energised but the engine not running (ie. ignition on but not started up)?

Can you find a larger-scale diagram of the fuel pump assy showing the spigot to which the hose connects?

Know this is gonna sound stupid but are you sure you pushed the connector fully home before pushing the red clip back in when you replaced the tank?

That diagram shows the hose that is leaking attached to the bottom of a fuel pump assembly. Does the fuel leak when the pump is energised but the engine not running (ie. ignition on but not started up)?

Not that I can see. I've found the other end of the line now hidden underneath a load of fairing so can start it up again in a bit and look in both places for a leak

Can you find a larger-scale diagram of the fuel pump assy showing the spigot to which the hose connects?

No but my google searching could be rubbish, this is the full parts gallery.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/manufacturer/kawasaki/bike/er-6f/year/2010/country/united-kingdom/colour/kmtcandy-lime-green-15p/gallery

Know this is gonna sound stupid but are you sure you pushed the connector fully home before pushing the red clip back in when you replaced the tank?

Not stupid at all! I'm hoping I've just done something dumb. I gave it a good shove back on and pushed the clip down. But it still slides up and down relatively freely, more than I'm sure it should.

I just reread that bit about pushing it on until you hear a click.

Then I noticed the lump that's on the spriggot. And wondered.

At first it didn't seem like it stretched far enough, but with a really hearty shove it bounces over it, and then the red clip goes back on easily without much force, and then it's on perfectly snug. Also explains why it's a bitch to get off in the first place

FFS I've done about 200 hundred miles with it like that, and nearly stacked it because I'm an idiot. And now I feel bad for anyone that also comes across the fuel I left :cry:

In the images I have managed to find, there is an annular ridge around the fuel pump delivery spigot to which the plastic hose fitting attaches. The purpose of the ridge is to.......seal the connector. When it is properly attached to the spigot, the pipe should not move at all, so I am 99% sure that you did not push the hose connector back on far enough. I could be wrong though, but I think this is your problem. There might be a bit of resistance as you push the hose back on......do you rember if you had to pull it off with any force - did it "pop" off? Obvs, don't gorilla it..........but see if you can get it to seat a bit better.

Edited to add.....you got there before I posted this! Well done! :thumb:

In the images I have managed to find, there is an annular ridge around the fuel pump delivery spigot to which the plastic hose fitting attaches. The purpose of the ridge is to.......seal the connector. When it is properly attached to the spigot, the pipe should not move at all, so I am 99% sure that you did not push the hose connector back on far enough. I could be wrong though, but I think this is your problem. There might be a bit of resistance as you push the hose back on......do you rember if you had to pull it off with any force - did it "pop" off? Obvs, don't gorilla it..........but see if you can get it to seat a bit better.

Edited to add.....you got there before I posted this! Well done! :thumb:

As above, you were right. And from afar you spotted it. Huge thanks for yours and everyone else's perseverance with this numpty :thumb: