Difference between the different styles of bike.

Muttly

Hello groovy gang.

Would you mind talking me through the different styles of bikes.

By that I mean what are the pro’s and cons of the different styles of bike. Also what is the difference? For example between a sports and a sports tourer?

I’m not sure when I will be able to afford my DAS but I spend a lot of time on EBay fantasising.

I am aware it is personal preference that makes the biggest difference. I loved the look of a cruiser when I passed by CBT but sat on it and instantly knew it was not for me and got the mostly faired thing I have now.

Thanks

Hello groovy gang.

Would you mind talking me through the different styles of bikes.

By that I mean what are the pro’s and cons of the different styles of bike. Also what is the difference? For example between a sports and a sports tourer?

I’m not sure when I will be able to afford my DAS but I spend a lot of time on EBay fantasising.

I am aware it is personal preference that makes the biggest difference. I loved the look of a cruiser when I passed by CBT but sat on it and instantly knew it was not for me and got the mostly faired thing I have now.

Thanks

The most obvious difference between a sports bike and a sports tourer is that the tourer has the ability to carry full luggage and usually the pillion seat has an emphasis on comfort. (as does the riders seat) The engines might be identical with just a different state of tune.. the gear box will very likely be far more motorway friendly.The tourer will also have more weather protection. and a more comfortable riding position.

What Genrontious said really, modern sports bikes are pretty much race bikes with lights on, they’re designed to go as fast as possible around a track, and if I’m being honest, even though I love them, they’re compromised on the road in some ways.

Sports tourers are like he said designed to be able to carry luggage and give more thought to a rider and pillions comfort and while not as focussed as a sports bike are probably better than one in everyday riding.

Just my personal view and others may disagree...

Sports:

Bent over riding position... allows minimal wind resistance for going fast, more limited view through traffic than upright riding, puts a fair amount of weight on wrists, will eventually affect your back, puts more pressure on your bladder :D

Engine... goes very fast, can be a little twitchy for many new riders as is more responsive than tourer types, good for enjoyable track days, Effing loud (with the right can)

Weight... is minimal.. for speed

Fairing... is minimal or non existent.. for speed

Sports tourer:

Upright riding position mainly... allows a clearer view over traffic, much healthier for your back on long rides, takes the weight off your wrists.

Engine.. less pokey than sports, better for longer riding and safer on public roads than sports (again just my opinion)

Fairing... wider for better weather protection

Weight...Heavier and sturdier... designed for luggage and pillion carrying.

:cheers:

Official age/bike type guidelines:

17-30 sports bike

30-35 naked

35-40 adventure

40+ cruiser

Hey, I resemble that remark! I'll have you know I am over 60 and my bike is supposed to be an 'Adventure Bike'. I'm pretty sure that I'll descend to a cruiser when I can't get into the saddle in about 10 years. And no low jokes about being able to get my leg over.

17-30 sports bike

30-35 naked

35-40 adventure

40+ cruiser

No! Sports bike till 60

60+ sports tourer.

(Can’t bend into the correct shape for a sports bike anymore :( )

17-30 sports bike

30-35 naked

35-40 adventure

40+ cruiser

Hey, I resemble that remark! I'll have you know I am over 60 and my bike is supposed to be an 'Adventure Bike'. I'm pretty sure that I'll descend to a cruiser when I can't get into the saddle in about 10 years. And no low jokes about being able to get my leg over.

I think you meant to say “resent”....but Freud stepped in

Depends on what you want to do on the road, tourer for comfort and the ride with sights also Luggage if you really haul alot.

Superbike for speed and corners, my preference is superbike as I love leaning off bike at speed around corners and the look of them tbh, im 35 and never felt back pain etc, just plan ye stops and enjoy, been to Germany and back sooo many times on my gsxr1000 and kawasaki ninja 636, never felt like wanted a tourer or needed more then a backpack can carry, plus filtering with boxes on sounds risky to me, like being nimble and thin.

17-30 sports bike

30-35 naked

35-40 adventure

40+ cruiser

I think you meant to say “resent”....but Freud stepped in

Quote from a movie mate ;-)

17-30 sports bike

30-35 naked

35-40 adventure

40+ cruiser

Lol I'd agree with this. I seem to be pretty accurate! My 125 was a fully faired sporty thing, since turned 30 and ride a naked haha

Thank you groovy people.accoding to the guidance I should get an Ed entire bike. It’s good to know what I am supposed to do.

What's an "Ed entire" bike ?

Adventure.. with a little bit of interference from the spell checker (gone wild)

17-30 sports bike

30-35 naked

35-40 adventure

40+ cruiser

Lol I'd agree with this. I seem to be pretty accurate! My 125 was a fully faired sporty thing, since turned 30 and ride a naked haha

yea and im 59 on saturday so maybe i should stick with the serow and hopefully find an srx later on in the year :thumb: