Cant ride for a few months

ShouldKnowBetter

Hernia operation last week, been housebound for the last week and surgeon reckons same this coming week, I’m going stir crazy sat at home.

Worse of all, the surgeon said I shouldn’t ride my bike for a few months as the hernia was in my abdomen and I’m not allowed to subject it to any heavy lifting or strain for a few months. They did an open surgery (not keyhole) so I have a nice 5-6 inch incision that’s busy healing.

Anyone else been put out of action due to similar? How long before you got back on the bike? I’m off on my hols in about 3 weeks. I reckon when I get back from there the uk weather should be decent enough and I’ll be back on the bike but any experts or voices of experience would be welcome.

Hernia operation last week, been housebound for the last week and surgeon reckons same this coming week, I’m going stir crazy sat at home.

Worse of all, the surgeon said I shouldn’t ride my bike for a few months as the hernia was in my abdomen and I’m not allowed to subject it to any heavy lifting or strain for a few months. They did an open surgery (not keyhole) so I have a nice 5-6 inch incision that’s busy healing.

Anyone else been put out of action due to similar? How long before you got back on the bike? I’m off on my hols in about 3 weeks. I reckon when I get back from there the uk weather should be decent enough and I’ll be back on the bike but any experts or voices of experience would be welcome.

not due to surgery.. but a similar effect.

I had a very rare pneumonia. (which nearly killed me), I thought it was some sort of flu and had been feeling too ill to use the bike for a couple of weeks, I finally went to see the GP.. and the next day I was in the HDU and stayed there for 5 weeks because just to add to the fun i then had liver failure as I had a very bad reaction to one of the exotic antibiotics they tried on me.. in hospital for just over 3 months. Came out and I had yet another reaction which didn't put me back in hospital but it did make me housebound because i was effectively incontinent and I was too weak to climb the stairs. All the while the bike sat outside. went into hospital at the start of march and didn't get on the bike until the middle of September when i was strong enough to lift the bike off its centre stand. I rode round the block. Got home and was so worn out I went to bed. I didn't ride the bike properly until the end of November. so, mid February to the end of November. about 10 months.

The reason for your delay is purely down to having major surgery.. this is why they try their best to avoid it and use keyhole wherever possible. bad luck.. but it was probably the only way they could do the work.

Sorry to hear you're laid up, that's very frustrating. I've never had that kind of surgery but a fried had it last year and he was bit blasé about the advice to take things easy. End result was that he didn't heal right and had to wait ages for further surgery. He was laid up for months.

We all heal at different rates. Last time I had a shoulder operation I stripped an engine 24 hours later and was fine. But with a hernia I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution.

I think you'll be fine after a few weeks.. What's so strenuous about riding a bike? If you can lift your leg over it, that's about it isn't it?

You'll know yourself when you're ready :cheers:

I think you'll be fine after a few weeks.. What's so strenuous about riding a bike? If you can lift your leg over it, that's about it isn't it?

When you use your arms to push or pull anything, like steering a car, the forces are transmitted through your abdomen muscles. You're not usually aware of it but it's why they recommend a longer period off the road after a hernia operation.

When you use your arms to push or pull anything, like steering a car, the forces are transmitted through your abdomen muscles. You're not usually aware of it but it's why they recommend a longer period off the road after a hernia operation.

I thought the same as Fleck initially but the docs explained in the same way as Mississippi B. They also said I need to be able to react to an emergency or accident quickly and without damaging the healing process.

I had an umbilical hernia repair two years ago and I was back on my motorbike before I could walk properly. Just don't drop it !

I'm so sorry you're out of action, it's no fun at all :(

Take it easy and I hope you heal up quickly, try to find another hobby to occupy you in the meantime.

Do as you have been advised.

I’m not wanting to frighten you but one of the most common complications of abdominal surgery is people coming back in with there innards hanging out 😮

I know this doesn’t apply to you but it’s a common misconception that keyhole surgery isn’t as serious as open surgery but regardless of the incision length the same procedure will have been performed underneath and requires almost identical aftercare. With a keyhole hernia op you would have ended up with multiple wound sites anyway as they have to gain access from more than one angle.

That incision size is large and is an indication they had to perform a large repair (they don’t usually bother to repair small hernias) so I assume they would have used mesh. This acts as reinforcement for your own weakened tissue to stop the muscle (it’s usually muscle but it can be other things) popping back out. Reoccurrence is the other common side effect of hernia surgery because people strain before the new tissue has had time to grow into the mesh and until it’s fully integrated it can’t perform its scaffolding duties effectively.

Watching the wound healing will give you some indication of how quickly you heal but won’t tell you how embedded that mesh is so no you won’t know when your ready.

A redo is rarely as successful as the original op so why risk not only wasting everyone’s time, money and energy by undoing the work but also putting yourself at risk of a failed op.

This stuff might sound harsh but I bother to type this because I’ve seen many a hapless persons shocked expression when they didn’t follow the advice they were given and have to deal with the awful consequences.

Having said all that months is a long time and I’d ask for that to be clarified into weeks which will at least give you a date for a celebratory ride. :thumb:

I’m not wanting to frighten you but one of the most common complications of abdominal surgery is people coming back in with there innards hanging out 😮

I know this doesn’t apply to you but it’s a common misconception that keyhole surgery isn’t as serious as open surgery but regardless of the incision length the same procedure will have been performed underneath and requires almost identical aftercare. With a keyhole hernia op you would have ended up with multiple wound sites anyway as they have to gain access from more than one angle.

That incision size is large and is an indication they had to perform a large repair (they don’t usually bother to repair small hernias) so I assume they would have used mesh. This acts as reinforcement for your own weakened tissue to stop the muscle (it’s usually muscle but it can be other things) popping back out. Reoccurrence is the other common side effect of hernia surgery because people strain before the new tissue has had time to grow into the mesh and until it’s fully integrated it can’t perform its scaffolding duties effectively.

Watching the wound healing will give you some indication of how quickly you heal but won’t tell you how embedded that mesh is so no you won’t know when your ready.

A redo is rarely as successful as the original op so why risk not only wasting everyone’s time, money and energy by undoing the work but also putting yourself at risk of a failed op.

This stuff might sound harsh but I bother to type this because I’ve seen many a hapless persons shocked expression when they didn’t follow the advice they were given and have to deal with the awful consequences.

Having said all that months is a long time and I’d ask for that to be clarified into weeks which will at least give you a date for a celebratory ride. :thumb:

......She knows, you know. Just listen to SCM and you'll be alright.

I had an inguinal hernia repair this time last year after getting t-boned. It was a keyhole job, but turned out to be a bigger tear than they expected and needed two bits of mesh to repair it. Once I'd recouped as much of the £3,500 fee as I could in tea and sponge pudding with custard I left, and as my wife was driving me home the snow started. I spent the next three days at home with my kids whilst their school was closed, watching The Mr Men and other such treats on the sofa, idly picking superglue out of my belly button. They may well have been the best three days of the year! :lol:

I'd say the first couple of days were uncomfortable but not painful - certainly not bad enough to warrant taking any pain relief for. I was driving after a week (it's an auto, so no strenuous clutch work) but I think I gave it 6 weeks before getting on the bike.

:thumb:

Do as the docs advise and a cupl weeks more just to make sure .

As you be off the bike for say 3 months and your ok .

Or

off the bike for 1 months it goes tits up and off the bike for 6 months or more so just be patient pun intended .get well soon all you .

Sorry about that. Rest up, your first ride in a couple of months will be awesome!

Glorious biking weather imminent then for several months :D

Also this - great news for the rest of us! 😁😉

In January 2017 I had my large bowel removed due to cancer, and I was told to not ride for at least 6 weeks after leaving hospital. I waited until I had the stitches removed, so at least the wound had settled then got back on the bike and went for a ride. it was a bit sore going along potholed roads but I managed it. I was also back at work in March 2017, which amazed my cancer team, as most people are out of action for about a year

In January 2017 I had my large bowel removed due to cancer, and I was told to not ride for at least 6 weeks after leaving hospital. I waited until I had the stitches removed, so at least the wound had settled then got back on the bike and went for a ride. it was a bit sore going along potholed roads but I managed it. I was also back at work in March 2017, which amazed my cancer team, as most people are out of action for about a year

HERO ! 👍

i had knee surgery on Saturday morning a week after taking delivery of a new MV dragster RC. Not allowed to bend my knee past 90 degrees for 4 weeks or twist and pivot on it for 3 months. Ill be riding as soon as my leg allows it and i have the strength to get the bike out of the shed and garden.

Not scary or harsh, great advice and insight - thanks.

Yes they used mesh, not sure why they didn’t do keyhole, and they did give me a suggestion in weeks (about 6 weeks) which I just rounded to “a couple of months” for ease. Im allowed to drive later this week if I want but the abdominal strain of riding and the weight of the bike.

When I asked about biking they had no idea and had to go away and think about it before suggesting 6 weeks. I’d rather take my time than rush back and make things worse, but it is boring as hell!

Not scary or harsh, great advice and insight - thanks.

Yes they used mesh, not sure why they didn’t do keyhole, and they did give me a suggestion in weeks (about 6 weeks) which I just rounded to “a couple of months” for ease. Im allowed to drive later this week if I want but the abdominal strain of riding and the weight of the bike.

When I asked about biking they had no idea and had to go away and think about it before suggesting 6 weeks. I’d rather take my time than rush back and make things worse, but it is boring as hell!

I was going to put in the original post they will be unlikely to have a clue about riding a motorbike so ask how long they advise for other sports like swimming or horse riding and go from that but it sounds like that’s what they’ve done because 6 weeks is the standard length of time for most procedures for people who heal normally :thumb:

You have my sympathies on the stir crazy front. You can update the ‘wot you watchin’ thread with the million box sets you will get through :lol: