Throttle won’t snap back

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
JesterPilgrim
Bike(s): ER-6F
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Throttle won’t snap back

Post by JesterPilgrim » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Tiggie wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:25 pm
Before taking it to a garage, its worth having a look to see if the push cable has popped out of the throttle body.
I'll do that, thank you!

Up to 25% off insurance Click here for more info

JesterPilgrim

Post by JesterPilgrim » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Tiggie wrote:
Before taking it to a garage, its worth having a look to see if the push cable has popped out of the throttle body.
Took a good look, it's all connected but appears a little slack on the return. Not sure what to do about that. Feel out of my depth.

JesterPilgrim

Post by JesterPilgrim » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Speedy23 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:45 pm
JesterPilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:56 pm
Hey team. I fitted heated grips today. It was actually a doddle.
Hmmm. .....it obviously wasn't, was it?
Touché

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 2943 times

Post by fastbob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:34 pm

JesterPilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:35 pm
Tiggie wrote:
Took a good look, it's all connected but appears a little slack on the return. Not sure what to do about that. Feel out of my depth.
So get stuck in and fettle your bike starting with lubricating your cables . How are you ever going to gain any experience ? It's not like you're replacing crankshaft shell bearings, it's just a sticky throttle , how hard can it be ? Has it occurred to you that it might have been like that all along ? I recently installed Slinky Glide throttle cables and now my throttle snaps back instantly. Well guess what? I wish I hadn't bothered! It's a pain in the arse , or rather the arm , to hold the throttle grip in the right position. A bit of friction isn't necessarily a bad thing , after all you don't take your hand off the grip when riding do you ? What you actually do is push the grip forward . So why not just go for a ride and stop worrying.

ThePhatomfart
Subscriber
Has liked: 613 times
Been liked: 279 times

Post by ThePhatomfart » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:45 pm

You might have put slack into the cables by altering their position on the bar, try this

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 1555 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:09 pm

fastbob wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:34 pm
JesterPilgrim wrote:
Tiggie wrote:
So get stuck in and fettle your bike starting with lubricating your cables . How are you ever going to gain any experience ? It's not like you're replacing crankshaft shell bearings, it's just a sticky throttle , how hard can it be ? Has it occurred to you that it might have been like that all along ? I recently installed Slinky Glide throttle cables and now my throttle snaps back instantly. Well guess what? I wish I hadn't bothered! It's a pain in the arse , or rather the arm , to hold the throttle grip in the right position. A bit of friction isn't necessarily a bad thing , after all you don't take your hand off the grip when riding do you ? What you actually do is push the grip forward . So why not just go for a ride and stop worrying.
I found the same on long runs at speed so I’ve fitted Scottoiler Crampbusters to both bikes. They work a treat.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:09 pm
fastbob wrote:
JesterPilgrim wrote:

I found the same on long runs at speed so I’ve fitted Scottoiler Crampbusters to both bikes. They work a treat.
I've been toying with the idea of fitting a push bike Ergo grip to my throttle. I would have to really stretch it to get it over the throttle tube but the effect would be similar to a Crampbuster. ( Possibly )

Phill
Bike(s): Yamaha FZS600 Fox-Eye , Yamaha YBR 125 2012 BLACK!
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Phill » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:36 pm

I have found the reason why my the throttle tube was sticky, the throttle tube was jammed far too in on the handlebar, resulting the actual grips rubbing the ends of the handle bar, moving the whole assembly 2-3mm to the right solved the problem instantly(the garage has installed the heated grips, bad, bad!). There was no grease where the throttle tube spins and contacts the handlebar, i have put some lithium soap grease there liberally and on the cables, the throttle is effortless and snaps back in an instant. I have also sprayed some grease on the throttle body spring, just to keep that one in check.

Happy days.

@fastbob

I bought one of these ones for around a fiver and on the motorway or steady speeds you can keep a steady throttle without effort.

It lives under the seat now! :lol:

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Well that's great news but I wonder how the OP got on with his sticky throttle. 😉

fastbob

Post by fastbob » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:30 pm

fastbob wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:17 pm
Mississippi Bullfrog wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:09 pm
fastbob wrote:

I've been toying with the idea of fitting a push bike Ergo grip to my throttle. I would have to really stretch it to get it over the throttle tube but the effect would be similar to a Crampbuster. ( Possibly )
So what's stopping the whole thing moving including the switch gear ? Shouldn't there be a peg that locates in a little hole in the handlebar ? There is on both my bikes .

JesterPilgrim

Post by JesterPilgrim » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:16 am

fastbob wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 pm
Well that's great news but I wonder how the OP got on with his sticky throttle. 😉
Taking it to the shop today.

Tiggie
Subscriber
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 397 times

Post by Tiggie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 am

Keep us posted!

Sorry it wasn't an easy fix, but if you really don't feel confident with what you're doing its loads better getting someone else to do it rather than making the problem worse :lol:
I'm an idiot who puts up Christmas lights in November

JesterPilgrim

Post by JesterPilgrim » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Apparently there was a load of dirt mixed with grease underneath the throttle shaft. Knowing that I could have dealt with it myself, but I felt myself getting into a tangle with the throttle cable. Anyhoo, the shop sorted it out for free. Nice folk.

Return to “Pitstop”