Day trippers

Don’t know where this post belongs- mods wave your wand :D

Just got back from a [strikeout]delightful[/strikeout] wet, rainy, blustery/gale force ride to Seend nr Melksham, the delightful part was meeting up with Speedy, JRH, Sometimessans and Magpie.

Myself and Mr Slowly (thats not correct is it? If not I’m sure a grammar nazi will be along shortly to let us know :roll: ) arrived first followed by two blue ice blocks- Speedy and JRH then another two blue ice blocks that were Sometimes and Magpie.

After a short defrost and restorative hot drinks conversation turned to umm well... bikes. Speedy was his usual- full of gems of wisdom and years of knowledge so no surprises there!

The company was good, the food was good and once past the initial newness of meeting people for the first time (especially weird when you know them a little bit from internet conversations before hand) it was all good. Maybe a little too good- at many points there was more than one conversation going on which is a nightmare when you want to hear it all!

The Barge Inn made us some good food, if you’re ever that way- the fish and chips were excellent. The burgers looked good but more than a tenner so wouldn’t suit everyone :lol: I’ll leave the burger eaters to comment on that! The chips were served in those mini baskets that belong on a different thread but they get a pass because they were crispy goodness.

There’s something wholly satisfying about seeing a cluster of bikes. I don’t know why that is but there is. Perhaps someone else could illuminate? Maybe it’s rather than looking at a bit of fun you’re looking at a bunch of it?!

We readied ourselves “brace brace” for the cold blustery ride home and hats have to be tipped in JRH’s direction for having the longest ride ahead without a groan.

I don’t think anyone expected my arctic explorer suit to be quite so..... arcticy 🥶 but I was toasty on the way home so I’ll withstand the inevitable Mr Blobby comments.... brace brace.

Will be meeting up again sometime in May for the Sammy Miller museum trip :thumb: when we land on some dates they’ll likely be posted so if you fancy bagging a tag or trying to glimpse what Speedy really wears under his lederhosen that’s your chance :wink:

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

A lovely day out even in the wind was a bit silly on the way home (not food induced). I don't have my watch on me nor my phone nearby so didn't know what time it was, needless to say it flew by.

Leaving the pub and getting out into the cold wind was definitely hard work.

As for the baskets, the first thing I did was chuck my chips onto my plate in disgust because no way was I going to eat them out of a basket (pro-tip [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention], Proper Job sell things like that for a couple of quid if you ever get any house guests you don't really like and want to drop a hint)

Sounds excellent and also definitely not the day for it. It's been gusty and snowy/sleet all day round here. I'm impressed you all made it!

Sorry cant help with the grammar, not my strong point :mrgreen:. I may try come along to the next meet weather permitting

so a good ride out for everyone then all be it a bit on the fresh side, it is still march and around here today we had rain and a cold wind with some sleet so my bike stayed in the cave and we went out in the car (got to think of my arthritis) anyway summer is hopefully coming :wink:

Glad you had a good day out. Last meet up I responded to ended up with me in a car park on my todd wondering where everyone else had got to. Then I went home.

It is a bit weird meeting people you have got to know via the internet. The strangest one was the guy who wanted to introduce me to someone he’d met on a model aircraft forum who he said was into the same niche kind of flying I did and who was really nice guy. Only it turned out that the person he’d been communicating with was me all along. Still, I had a nice conversation with myself and was very happy when the men in white coats came to take me back home.

Glad you had a good day out. Last meet up I responded to ended up with me in a car park on my todd wondering where everyone else had got to. Then I went home.

It is a bit weird meeting people you have got to know via the internet. The strangest one was the guy who wanted to introduce me to someone he’d met on a model aircraft forum who he said was into the same niche kind of flying I did and who was really nice guy. Only it turned out that the person he’d been communicating with was me all along. Still, I had a nice conversation with myself and was very happy when the men in white coats came to take me back home.

Just brilliant :lol:

Sounds like a great day out and a very successful meet up (I love it when that happens, actually), and well done for braving this blustery, cold weather. I bet it made the chips taste even better, though!

With regard to the grammar thing, there's a great test for deciding whether to go with "I" or "me". Take your phrase:

Myself and Mr Slowly arrived first...

Remove “and Mr Slowly”... you're left with:

Myself arrived first... hmmm.

If it sounds wrong then it is (the test always works when you have to decide on “me and x” or “x and I”). In this instance, "Mr Slowly and I" would have been grammatically correct :cheers:

Grammar Nazi (I'm not really!)

Herts

Edited by learningtofly

Yep was a good meet-up.

Left home at 10:00. Met speedy at 10:30 at the nominated fuel station.

We then had a very windy ride to the the Barge Inn. As SCM says we were cold on arrival.

Any way after good food and company we left at 4:00. SatNav gave home time as 6:15. Not too bad.

However on the way back We ran into first rain then hail then snow then sleet. The snow and sleet was settling as we approached Burton on the Water. I’ll just say the ride at that point was interesting and speedy and i got separated as we were a lot slower than cars. :shock: and were being passed.

We did met up again Stow as I stopped for fuel and a warm.

I finally arrived home at 6:50, probably colder than [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention]

:cheers:

:lol: I've moved it to here, best I could come up with.

I like it when people meet up :thumb:

Midlands meet Southwest. :lol:

Hi, [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] and [mention]JRH[/mention] sound's like a interesting day, just a heads-up on some date's for May @ Sammy miller's. Here's a list of his event's.

IMG_20190310_232618665.thumb.jpg.1927e76ecefee0cb4204b6e530623dfd.jpg.

BMW day in April😀.

Hi, @Slowlycatchymonkey and @JRH sound's like a interesting day, just a heads-up on some date's for May @ Sammy miller's. Here's a list of his event's.

IMG_20190310_232618665.jpg.

BMW day in April😀.

Thanks @oldgrump :thumb:

Only one of the Sundays in May doesn’t have an event then!

Hi [mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] it looks that way at the moment, Sammy's is free, if you want to use the cafe etc, you normally only pay to go in the Museum. I know the 12th May Autojumble will be a pay as you enter event, so extra admission. But feel free to come and buy some Crap off my Stall there, :) with any luck I should be selling there.

I'm not sure about the other 2 events that month.

But the Autojumble does get a bit busy, so i would pencil that one out if it's for a meet up. :(

Hi @Slowlycatchymonkey it looks that way at the moment, Sammy's is free, if you want to use the cafe etc, you normally only pay to go in the Museum. I know the 12th May Autojumble will be a pay as you enter event, so extra admission. But feel free to come and buy some Crap off my Stall there, :) with any luck I should be selling there.

But the Autojumble does get a bit busy, so i would pencil that one out if it's for a meet up. :(

What sort of thing do you sell? Could be interesting....

Hi @Slowlycatchymonkey it looks that way at the moment, Sammy's is free, if you want to use the cafe etc, you normally only pay to go in the Museum. I know the 12th May Autojumble will be a pay as you enter event, so extra admission. But feel free to come and buy some Crap off my Stall there, :) with any luck I should be selling there.

Hi @Speedy23 any old crap thats in my workshop, did do Stainless Steel bolts years ago, but everyone tends to sell them nowadays, so mainly Magazines and Books + All types of engine bit's and bob's. Nothing really new. All depends what i have left at the time.

I just sold a lot of 600 bandit bits on ebay last couple weeks, And a Honda 400 NC30 engine, Got a Bandit 600 motor + VFR750 motor + One and a bit 5JJ R1 motors + a BMW 650 seat brand new, just crap as i call it :thumb:

Hi @Speedy23 any old crap thats in my workshop, did do Stainless Steel bolts years ago, but everyone tends to sell them nowadays, so mainly Magazines and Books + All types of engine bit's and bob's. Nothing really new. All depends what i have left at the time.

I just sold a lot of 600 bandit bits on ebay last couple weeks, And a Honda 400 NC30 engine, Got a Bandit 600 motor + VFR750 motor + One and a bit 5JJ R1 motors + a BMW 650 seat brand new, just crap as i call it :thumb:

...very interested in old books and mags.....I can feel a plan coming together........always up for a rummage (as it were... :shock: )!!

I think it’s rather natty.

@Magpie84 didthe harley pics work out?

No 😭 he didn't take the bait, he even told me it looked like a good bike, although he also said I made it look small 😂

IMG_20190310_160751.thumb.jpg.ede3ff015017687d0a721e73343b8ccf.jpg

Edited by Magpie84

Clearly I need a dark coloured bike :lol: Sticking out like a sore thumb there

Should have parked by the GSF and left the bland bikes to themselves. :wink:

Clearly I need a dark coloured bike :lol: Sticking out like a sore thumb there

Should have parked by the GSF and left the bland bikes to themselves. :wink:

Bland BLAND that’s fightin’ talk!

Chocolate chip cookies at 10 paces. :wink: