Had my first fall

Working Class Hero

I feel like a complete numpty!

Went into a roundabout with too much speed and couldn't make the turn, so I went over the curb and down I went :oops:

It was a complete comedy of schoolboy errors, because as I hit the ground I realised that I'd never looked at all the "how to pick up your bike" clips on youtube! Luckily there were two blokes who came to check on me and helped me to pick it up.

Can't see any physical damage to the engine, but it won't start. Fairing is scratched up pretty bad and the brake lever and pedal are knackered. FCUK!

Welcome to the massive club of bikers who have come off their bikes. It has a membership of 99% of all bikers. Thankfully most are minor like yours and the cause was as likely to be target fixation as you realise speed is too high and you look at where you are trying to avoid, which is why you end up not avoiding it.

Damn - that's unfortunate. Hope you're okay and that the bike isn't badly damaged.

Probably a good time to brush up on your technique, but particularly watch out for that old chestnut, target fixation. Always likely to rear it's head if you think you've got your approach/speed wrong as you go into a corner.

Have you checked the kill switch- the people who picked it up might have knocked it?

Yea I checked it, but it was not the issue. The guy who helped me to get it back home said it might be a like a tilt sensor or something that needs to be reset. But anyway, it's in the shop now, so I should find out next week what the damages are :cry:

It’s sounds to me like you have the makings of a very decent rider. You made a mistake, understood it’s you’re fault, why it happened and how to stop it happening again. I’m not saying ‘happy days’ cos that would be mean, your bikes scuffed and it wasn’t fun but some of the ridiculous bollo I’ve heard about why accidents have happened that are entirely the persons own fault is mind numbing and you don’t seem like that at all.

It was a complete comedy of schoolboy errors, because as I hit the ground I realised that I'd never looked at all the "how to pick up your bike" clips on youtube!

This is the method that worked for me, other vids say about getting your bum near the floor but that didn't work for me. Resting my backside on the saddle helps no end.

">

LoL that old thought . ! it was at this moment he realised he f**ked up ! Glad your ok hope its not to bad/costly to fix the bike.. I guess your not a true biker till you can say if fallen off / crashed . One thing iv always noticed is when your riding driving ice skates what ever it is that moment you know you f**ked up or you need to slow down stop . Your never realises how fast your going and how short time you need to stop .

yet if you think ok I'm doing the same thing at another time you do the same speed and I'm going to stop in the same distance yet you do in plenty time but when its NOW emergency you hit or crash fall off .

I had to set off early one morning for a trip to Paris a couple of years ago. We'd had a snap frost two nights previously, but the sun had melted all the ice the day before so I reckoned it would be fine. Unfortunately as you're winding your way out to the main road from my house there's a corner that is in perpetual shade, where the ice hadn't melted. I stopped at the line with my foot down, and as I turned left the rear wheel hit the ice and slid out from under me before I'd even picked my foot up. Under normal circumstances sheer embarrassment would probably have given me the strength to wrestle the thing upright, but as it was on a sheet of ice there was no way I could do it alone. And so I stood there, at something like half-past four in the morning, in complete silence with not a soul around, looking at my bike lying in the middle of the road and wondering what to do. Luckily, about 5 minutes later a jogger and someone on their way to work came past, and between the three of us we managed to get it up and running. The damage was only minor (slightly bent clutch and gear levers, dangling indicator and some cosmetic scuffs I didn't care about) so I rode it home, patched it up and set off again - this time taking a different route! :D

Glad you're OK. You do feel an absolute fool when these things happen, but you live and learn! :thumb:

It was a complete comedy of schoolboy errors, because as I hit the ground I realised that I'd never looked at all the "how to pick up your bike" clips on youtube!

This is the method that worked for me, other vids say about getting your bum near the floor but that didn't work for me. Resting my backside on the saddle helps no end.

">

I'm not saying there aren't any out here, but every video I've seen the bike is always laying the opposite side of the kickstand ..now that's handy .

That sounds just like the 1st fall I had on my GPZ 500 . It was my 1st mint looking bike .all black with red and silver lines . So out to work one winter's morning pitch black me in my bad ass black helmet black leather jacket and trousers it was past freezing so going down the hill by my house both feet down ready to stop me falling off stops at the traffic lights green .on to the main road ok it be ok now mine road gritted plus traffic will got rid of the ice. Gets up to 25 _30mph then next thing I remember my face/helmet dragging along the road . Me and bike comes to a stop I stand up slips back on to my butt (that was the only thing that was hurting was my butt from slipping not the fall off the bike ) so on my hands and knees crawls to the grass verge stands up and crap how I'm i to pick that now . Then this guy appears from nowhere !! need a hand !!! AAAGGHHHH wtf man where you come from . ... ok yes plz so we both get the bike up off the road on the the grass verge then a fire engine goes flying past . Like seconds later shit bike all black I'm dressed all in black they could have run right over me .. So yellow shiny jacket over leather one and reflective stripps .also cracked faring bent foot peg snapped clutch leaver broken mirror . Gets it fixed now had a bike with red and silver and side orange red strip .. As the bike repaier dont need to fix 100%match close as poss will do .. which is disgusting..