Kids on back of motorbikes opinions

Noble Dave

My 10yo daughter loves my motorbike but the mum hates it because she dont ride, my daughter wants to go on the back of it feet touch rear pegs easily with peg to spare and if she wears a lid and gloves only going in 20-30mph roads I cant see the issue with it meself.

The mother (my ex) says no she aint going on it end off but I dont ask for permission just trying to keep the peace but set boundaries, yet the mother would be happy with her to go on a horse, wild animal that could buck at anytime, in many countries they have kids on motorbikes and even 5yo+ racing on em, whats you opinion on it and it is just due to britain not being a big biker nation and we are too reserved in this country.

Could get killed crossing the street, eating food, walking down stairs, on a plane, boat etc...

What are your thoughts?

As long as the gear fits properly, what's the problem? The issue is the crash helmet she wears - is it the right size or is it an adult helmet that would come straight off in an accident? Only you know this. You're right about horses - I knew 2 people who came unstuck - one died and one major neck injury. I've been chucked off myself. Bikes are a lot safer (he said)... :roll:

Haha aye would be a way to go save alot of mider! As for tge helmet its a kids motorbike helmet sized to her head so proper deal fits perfectly and she will have gloves that fit perfectly.

I personally just think people see a motorbike and think dangerous as they dont understand em, people are always afraid of what they dont understand.

Going to play Devils Advocate a little.

Just from what you've said I am guessing that you and your ex aren't on the best terms.

If you don't mind me asking, if the ex has said right from the start that your lass going pillion is out of the question, where did the helmet and gear come from?

Was this bought before or after the mum stated her views?

Did you ride while you and your ex were together or is this something you've picked up after the split?

This conversation is about WAY more than what some bikers off the internet think about kids going on bikes.

You obviously consider yourself self enough of a rider to take her, but your ex apparently doesn't (or you her have more issues between you, which she's using as a way to get back at you) and that's a whole other conversation.

Naa pal tbh we are amicable for the most part she is just scared of motorbikes, I have been riding for for alot of years now until met me ex and this week I bought me daughter the lid due to her age now and summer coming up plus she wants me to buy her a kids motorbike 50cc, me and the ex just grew apart was one of them things, had been together for many years, but I sold the bike when got with her then when broke up got meself another as been germany and alsorts on em when was in the army and also used to do stunts on motorbikes for the army as recruitment,im a competant safe rider most the time... Defo with me lil girl on!

But to show respect asked her to come to mine tonight to settle her mind into it, as she likes jumping to conclusions on stuff she knows nout about and she does worry alot!

Have looked into this alot and in our heath and safety country am sure if it was that dangerous more then out else it would be banned upto say 16yo!

Just seeing what the biker community think on it as you folks have experience and know the ride.

As far as I know as long as the kids feet are on the pegs then it's ok .but as its not the law law its the other law . Then I'd say take the mum on the back and show her how good and safe you are .that way it help to taken your wee girl on The back of you .

My EX BITCH wanted me to buy my son a scooter for him to Go to collage on as the collage he goes to is miles away . Yet she wouldnt let me take him on the back of me yet she used to go on the back me .but as i

pointed out at the start EX BITCH. .I got him the scooter she bought all the gear .he gets on the scooter and shoots right across the drive in to the headge arse over tit .. hes ok we have a good laugh at it .

So i would say take her out on the back show your a good rider . If she still says no . Then f**k her and still take you wee girl out .

Haha well literally just spoken to her now as she came to coller me daughter, and sge said same thing take her on the back first so she can see what its like, so could come out with a peaceful resolution here! Im really surprised

Naa pal tbh we are amicable for the most part she is just scared of motorbikes

I'd say judging by this and the fact you're trying to discuss it with her, I'd just keep trying to reassure her.

My parents hate motorbikes too so i can sort of see where she is coming from and as you say its that misconception that they are dangerous but people that don't ride. Just as likely though to be in a car accident, Im sure she allows the kid in people's cars!

I think as long as you show her all the safety clothing and that the kid has to abide by your pillion rules for her safety (and if she breaks them then she has to get off) then hopefully she will come round.

Also let the kid to the nagging hahaha, if its something she wants to do then she'll keep chewing her mum's ear off about it anyway :lol:

Make sure pillion is included on your insurance because usually by default it's not.

Not bothered what you dress your ex in she's big enough to make her own decisions, the little one should have good quality clothes to go with helmet and gloves and by that I don't mean from m&s instead of next, proper biking jacket and trousers.

Humans are notoriously bad at understanding risk and the actual danger of a specific activity. A useful measure is micromorts, which help you compare the riskiness of activities. Have a read. A micromort is a one in a million chance of something killing you. Every day you wake up you incur some micromorts by just living. But then you undertake activities and they have their own micromorts.

Travel 6 miles by motorbike? 1 micromort, ie you have a one in a million chance of death. That compares to travelling 6000 miles by train or 230 miles by car. I've looked up horses and it's around half a million micromorts per ride, but I assume it's a hard one to calculate due to the different types of riding people do.

Anyway, that was just a little aside about risk and how we assess it. On your issue, without turning into a relationship counsellor, which I most definitely am not, I personally don't think it's worth breaching her trust on this. It's something to discuss and negotiate, you are both parents and to just ignore her opinion really won't help your relationship in the future. Effectively I'm with [mention]Gin[/mention]. I hope your chat with her tonight is constructive.

I've looked up horses and it's around half a million micromorts per ride

Bloody hell, that's half a mort per horse ride. Bloody dangerous stuff, glad I don't do it!

Sorry to be off on a tangent here :offtopic: but a good example of how poor humans are at assessing risk was demonstrated after the Alton Towers Smiler incident.

Loads of people said they were never going to go to a theme park/Alton Towers again, it was just too dangerous. Completely ignoring the fact that the drive to the theme park is so much more dangerous and risky.

Sorry to be off on a tangent here :offtopic: but a good example of how poor humans are at assessing risk was demonstrated after the Alton Towers Smiler incident.

Loads of people said they were never going to go to a theme park/Alton Towers again, it was just too dangerous. Completely ignoring the fact that the drive to the theme park is so much more dangerous and risky.

Apart from the risk of massive coronary brought on by the price of the f*cking ticket, of course. :D

The thing is, if she wants to ride a motorbike, at some point she will, better that she is taught with them safely by her dad imo.

My mum was hugely anti motorbike, they’re dangerous etc, and she tried getting both me, and my brother before me to become interested in horse riding instead, we both managed 1 lesson, probably because a.) boys just arnt very interested in horse riding (ok I know this one doesn’t really help in your case :P )

b.) riding a horse is really dangerous and neither of us felt safe doing so.

Sadly my mum is no longer with us but her anti motorbike stance didn’t work on either of us!.

yeall went well, she wants me to take her out for a run (Mum) still says she aint really happy about it but its not me she didnt trust but other road users, needless to say it went bloody smooth and i really didnt expect it too so all is good for now! me daughter was made up haha