Scotland to Ireland and back (Plan)

JackDM

Hi folks,

I've fancied a trip to Ireland, never been before so thought I'd mark out a rough plan and see what you folks think?

The attached map is roughly the route that I would take and is a mixture on/off motorways.

Are there any detours/alternative routes that are recommended? I'm trying to keep the trip 8 days max.

The rough outline is as follows:

Ireland: Total accumulative distance: 708 miles

Day 1: [Falkirk] - - > [Cairnryan] - - > [Larne] - - > [belfast] 4 h 55 min (166 miles)

https://goo.gl/maps/gCain41Se3k

Notes: P&O Ferry from Cairnryan to Larne charges £37.50 for a 1-way ticket which incl. 1 Motorcycle & 1 Adult.

- Book into accommodation at Belfast – loads of bars/pubs to visit at night

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Day 2: Sightseeing Belfast

Notes: “Visit Belfast” visitor centre | Many POI’s to see, a second day in Belfast may be worthwhile.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Day 3: [belfast] - - > [Newcastle] - - > [Kilkeel] - - >[Dublin] 3 h 12 min (134 miles)

https://goo.gl/maps/Rvax1q91zF32

Notes: Newcastle seems like a nice place to stop then a leisurely coast drive to Kilkeel and onwards to Dublin.

Day 4: Sightseeing Dublin

Notes: Dublin Visitor Centre | Huge city with many POI’s – spending two days in Dublin may be necessary.

Day 5: [Dublin] - - > [Lower Lough Erne] 3 h 13 min (124 miles)

https://goo.gl/maps/BAh9Txv27FH2

Notes: Plenty of accommodation options available around this area.

Day 6: Days fishing Lower Lough Erne

Notes: A rod license and permit to fish for trout is required – short term licenses can be found here: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/short-term-and-tourist-rod-licence-prices-daera

Day 7: [Lower Lough Erne] - - > [Giants Causeway] - - > [Larne] 3 h 24 min (141 miles)

https://goo.gl/maps/nnWbFx5gQZK2

Notes: Leisurely ride to Giants Causeway then spend a night in Larne before heading home

Day 8: [Larne] - - > [Falkirk] 4 h 22 min (143 miles)

https://goo.gl/maps/UKhbbahAX7o

Notes:

1336016004_Ireland-7days.thumb.jpg.18fe503bf1e6785d2543bd18e0e4cca6.jpg

Firstly. When are you going?

I'd avoid NW200 and Ulster gp weeks if you are not going for the racing as the north would be very busy. And you'd struggle for the ferry.

Big detour but you are missing Cork in the south. If I was tootling for a week I'd definitely make the effort.

Avoid Derry. Lovely place. But unless you know exactly what the score is......

I'd ride the NW200. Stay maybe a night in port stewart on the beer. Good place and near to giants causeway.

The scenery in the north is outstanding but some of the roads are shocking. In fact the same goes for the south.

Taxi drivers in the north are lunatics.

Prepare to tell your life story to everyone you meet.

But be careful in the north. Switch on. Take note of surroundings. Flags and kerb stones are good indicators. Never never discuss politics or religion in pubs.

Foot note.

We are back over in May for the NW200.

Hi Neil

Mid August is the time that I'm looking for, it's the only time I have a few weeks off from work unfortunately, so will be missing the NW200.

Cork looks do-able, I've incorporated it into the plan.

Wasn't actually planning to go to Derry, instead I'm thinking of spending half a day fishing in Lower Lough Erne, then just head straight to Port Stewart for the Night and ride the NW200 route on my way to giants causeway.

Can't say I'm surprised about the taxi drivers, aren't they like that everywhere?

Hi Neil

Mid August is the time that I'm looking for, it's the only time I have a few weeks off from work unfortunately, so will be missing the NW200.

Cork looks do-able, I've incorporated it into the plan.

Wasn't actually planning to go to Derry, instead I'm thinking of spending half a day fishing in Lower Lough Erne, then just head straight to Port Stewart for the Night and ride the NW200 route on my way to giants causeway.

Can't say I'm surprised about the taxi drivers, aren't they like that everywhere?

Sounds good to me.

Taxi drivers.....

On 1 occassion. Myself and 3 gobshite glaswegians (Good friends of mine) got a taxi from limervaghny to Portrush. X2 sick due to previous nights ale.

The taxi bottomed out over the mountains....lol

Oh and it was 25 yr old...lol Happy days