£550 insurance for a 125????

Pbassred

Obviously all this will vary depending on your age, location, mileage and the bike you get but my 125 was £257 fully comp.

Five year old Honda CBF125

5000 miles a year

£300 excess

SDP&C

Kept on private drive

Legal expenses included

Helmet and leathers covered

1 car claim in previous five years

I really wanted to do my DAS but it seems there's no point. Any bike I've looked at 500-650cc is well over a grand in insurance.
Yes but next year you will have 1 year's experience and 30% no claims discount. I don't know how old you are but another year might help too. Buying a 650cc isn't mandatory. You could still buy an A2 bike. Not as much kudos but even a 300cc puts you on motorways with a small reserve of power. I bought a CBR500R. Its fine for the next 5 - 10,000 miles of experience.

I really wanted to do my DAS but it seems there's no point. Any bike I've looked at 500-650cc is well over a grand in insurance.
Yes but next year you will have 1 year's experience and 30% no claims discount. I don't know how old you are but another year might help too. Buying a 650cc isn't mandatory. You could still buy an A2 bike. Not as much kudos but even a 300cc puts you on motorways with a small reserve of power. I bought a CBR500R. Its fine for the next 5 - 10,000 miles of experience.

Agree with this! Bikes are no different to cars.... that first year is a stinger but it gets cheaper quickly after that, especially if there are no claims. Keep going. You could also stay on your 125 if you so wish, just no need for L plates. I think in the UK our bike progression is weird if you're older..... 125 straight up to learning (and then buying) 600cc plus. You can skip over a lot of fun bikes around the 400 mark!

Also could it be something to do with where you live or, most likely, where you keep the bike. Mine could be 50% cheaper if it was in a garage all day (i garage it at work, but driveway at home) but alas....