Long commute

mandolin666

I used to ride a CG125 for fun 15 years ago but I'm shortly going to facing a daily commute of 60 miles each way, mostly cross country single carriageway A & B roads but with some predictable congestion at the work end. I want to get a bike so I can do some of the commuting on it. I don't fancy 120 miles per day on another CG125 so I'm going to do Direct Access but assuming I pass, what should I buy? I don't want to spend much more than £3000 if possible but I'd like something that will be fast enough to be fun, comfortable and reliable enough for potentially 600 miles per week and handy enough to get through a few traffic queues in Telford. I'd prefer it to use less fuel than a car too if possible please; any ideas folks?

Hi there!

I imagine you will most likely do your test on an SV.... not a bad bike to be fair!

I'd personally take a look at the 500-700cc market, as new most of them come in at £4-6k but used you are looking at your kind of budget.

You'd have to sit on a few and see what feels best, but as an example good A licence rides for the journey you are thinking would be: Yamaha MT 07/ FZ 07, Honda CBR (if you get on with the ride position) or CB, Suzuki SV650 or Gladius, Kawaski have a few great 600 mark bikes (but depends on riding position you like).

But you dont have to jump straight up to 600cc, KTM for example do great bikes that are lots of fun with plenty enough power at the 390 mark.

If you can stretch your fund a little further, a Triumph Street Triple, they are gold dust second hand but they do come up occasionally (but be quick!).

Sorry if this a bit of verbal diarrhoea, its hard to tell people what to buy, it's a lot easier to get your bum on as many bikes in shops as possible. You'll know if it's for you. I chose mine without even test riding it, I love her!

Same list of contenders, plenty in the price range, fz6, Vstrom 650, you could even go big scooter suzuki Bergmann 650 if you want ease of use, would be looking for something with fairings for a bit of weather protection and a comfy seat.

As a commuter I run an older CBF500. Easy to ride, nimble where there's congestion but quick enough not to get bored on ( they used to race the very similar CB500). The older Honda build quality is better than current new bikes so they handle salt and damp better. You can pick them up for under 2k.

For commuting I look for a centre stand as it makes chain maintenance simpler. Very few newer bikes have them.

Also less likely to get nicked.

Same list of contenders, plenty in the price range, fz6, Vstrom 650, you could even go big scooter suzuki Bergmann 650 if you want ease of use, would be looking for something with fairings for a bit of weather protection and a comfy seat.

Just bought myself Honda Silverwing scooter for my 30 mile each way commute.

600cc so enough grunt to keep up with traffic and overtake of slow stuff, good weather protection and seat like an arm chair.

Will report on mpg later in the week once it's used a tankful, but supposed to do around 50 mpg.

Seems better suited to A roads than hacking down back roads

60 miles each way , bloody hell mate , I admire your determination. I don't think I could face that 5 days a week. My main worry would be that it would completely destroy my love of bikes and biking . Whatever bike you do get for the commute , you're going to have to get a totally contrasting bike for weekend fun such as a mental sports bike or , dare I say it a Harley cruiser.

I commute from Hastings to London on a 1997 900 trophy heated grips brilliant wind protection and very comfortable depending where I am sent anywhere between 65 and 100+ miles each way

Wow 60miles each way!! I do 30miles each way and thought that was bad.

I was in the exact same situation; painful on 125cc.

I ended up buying Honda 600cc.

My advice is to buy a fuel efficient big bike since youll be paying a fortune in petrol.

Get something with a bit of weight so youre stable in side winds.

Buy Honda and you can expect 100k miles+ from youre engine. Which youll probably hit after 5 years on a new bike.

Thanks for the advice. I quite fancy some sort of BMW F800; the GT looks nice but might be a bit above my budget but the F800S seems affordable. I'm also going to look at the ER6F, SV650, NC750, I wonder how painful it would be on a CBF250.

Just to be clear, I am not going to do this commute five days per week every week; I will use the bike when the weather is good and might even take the odd detour into Wales on the way home when I feel like it.

Thanks for the advice. I quite fancy some sort of BMW F800; the GT looks nice but might be a bit above my budget but the F800S seems affordable. I'm also going to look at the ER6F, SV650, NC750, I wonder how painful it would be on a CBF250.

I do 30 miles a day on a CBR300R. That, and the 250R are fine if you don't mind cruising at 70 mph (which I don't). They will go faster, but you are thrashing them if you do. Very cheap to run with 8k service intervals and around 95 mpg. Your wrists can get uncomfortable after long periods in slow traffic, but is fine at motorway speeds. I think that the engines should last at least 100k miles, if serviced properly.

I used to ride a CG125 for fun 15 years ago but I'm shortly going to facing a daily commute of 60 miles each way, mostly cross country single carriageway A & B roads but with some predictable congestion at the work end. I want to get a bike so I can do some of the commuting on it. I don't fancy 120 miles per day on another CG125 so I'm going to do Direct Access but assuming I pass, what should I buy? I don't want to spend much more than £3000 if possible but I'd like something that will be fast enough to be fun, comfortable and reliable enough for potentially 600 miles per week and handy enough to get through a few traffic queues in Telford. I'd prefer it to use less fuel than a car too if possible please; any ideas folks?

I'm being biased now because I've got one; Honda NC750x. If you want reliability and great fuel consumption this is the machine. It doesn't drink fuel, it runs off of the fumes! I get a consistent 80mpg, comfortable to ride and will sit all day on the motorway 70 - 80 and not miss a beat.

A great all rounder.