Test centre closed after biker dies

elizabethf

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/driving-test-centre-cordoned-after-15958764?fbclid=IwAR1iFtPUruJSDpitSp8PbaT5PnnoObskbGxNJtFm4GnUfmRcpV3Cj-amJtk#ICID=FB-Liv-main

How sad. RIP.

I can't figure out from that if he was MOD 1 or 2. To crash into a wall sounds like a MOD 1 incident, because bikers totally love having to blast at least 31mph (after a sweeping corner) towards the wall to demonstrate you can stop.

At Lincoln one of the U turn corners is actually a hedge, not just a white line! i wondering how many people had taken a seat in that bush in its time!

But even MOD 2... lots of people in and out of the centre at set periods, junctions get busy and lots of learners who might do something random around to consider, add in the nerves....

How awful though.

An oddly written story, as they seem to report it happened on the road outside (where there is indeed a wall) but the scene investigators are clearly on the test pad within the centre.

But that's a minor point, so sad that however it happened someone has lost their life.

An oddly written story, as they seem to report it happened on the road outside (where there is indeed a wall) but the scene investigators are clearly on the test pad within the centre.

Yes thats what I mean. Outside would seem odd even though the article suggests that (if you go on the police website its just the straight fact), wall seems more in line with the MOD 1 compound...

You can't really second guess this. It doesn't sound like the reporter actually went there ..... or spoke to someone who went there. Its sad but if you consider how many people take their test every year its still very rare.

snip from a more recent update. (2 hours ago)

A MAN has died after a motorcycle hit a wall near the driving test centre at Navigation Road, St Helens.
however they also say this
Other pictures taken at the scene after the cordon was removed on Tuesday show a break in the fence where the crash is believed to have happened.

So, I would guess that for some reason he was accelerating and just kept on going. through the fence and straight into the wall opposite.

How terrible.

That's where I took my Mod1, and it's certainly a fence all the way around the Mod1 compound, but it's a substantial metal-grid fence, not a bendy chicken wire affair.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4562127,-2.7252684,3a,75y,30.89h,90.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srvSycYRUM56J3aHdQBdfMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm not willing to speculate on what might have happened, but I will be interested to read a more informed review of sad events in time.

Edited by narp

That's where I took my Mod1, and it's certainly a fence all the way around the Mod1 compound, but it's a substantial metal-grid fence, not a bendy chicken wire affair.

That's odd, my test centre purposely has fences all around that easily come down if cars or bikes go into them.

It is awfully sad, especially more so if they were on a test and just beginning their journey into the biking world!

If someone points a bike at a mesh fence and floors it I can see how the hole would be made. Terrible loss.

A route out of our center has only recently been allowed after a bad accident a few years back, narrow arch and lights with a junction but that was on the road not in the test center.

From what I’ve heard from someone who was there on the day, this happened during the Mod 1 exercise. I, like everyone else on here at the moment, can only summise that this must have happened during either the avoidance or emergency stop exercise.

Regardless of how it happened it is dreadfully sad and my thoughts go out to the family of the poor guy.

On another note, does this emphasise how odd it actually is that someone can have next to no experience on a bike and can attempt their mod 1 especially though the DAS, Or should the instructor be spending more time teaching how to actually stop a bike before focusing on manoeuvres.

On another note, does this emphasise how odd it actually is that someone can have next to no experience on a bike and can attempt their mod 1 especially though the DAS, Or should the instructor be spending more time teaching how to actually stop a bike before focusing on manoeuvres.

To expand further on my last post, there were over 57000 mod 1 tests taken last year. I don't know how many incidents there were but I can't see it being a ridiculously high number. And there's an argument that it's better it happens in the controlled environment versus the old system of it being on the open road

To expand further on my last post, there were over 57000 mod 1 tests taken last year. I don't know how many incidents there were but I can't see it being a ridiculously high number. And there's an argument that it's better it happens in the controlled environment versus the old system of it being on the open road

That’s a very valid point and I suppose shows that, although there will always people who find fault when there are changes to the tests, they are usually done with safety in mind, especially if you look at the mod 1 test area, You’re not going to get that quality surface out on the open road.

Just when something tragic happens like this it’s easy to over think the whole situation.

I'm not sure on first attempts, because the stats only show pass and fail. There would be some really interesting analysis you could do if you had access to information like that though. I can't see any freedom of information requests that match that and I'm not sure if they record your licence number when they log your test result

However, one point of note is that when they launched the test the pass rate was 60.8%, last year it was 71.9%. I'm not clever enough to work out if this is a statistically significant increase but since the test hasn't changed I'd suggest that instructors have got progressively better at teaching people to pass the test.

Here's something I just thought of doing though. Comparing the number of mod 1 tests vs the number of mod 2 tests.

Since you can't take a mod 2 test before you've passed your mod 1, the higher number of mod 2 tests at least points to people needing to retake their mod 2 more times than they do the mod 1.

386846459_Annotation2019-03-14090130.jpg.73eda090936a720efdf8bf0f05f2534a.jpg

Here's something I just thought of doing though. Comparing the number of mod 1 tests vs the number of mod 2 tests.

Since you can't take a mod 2 test before you've passed your mod 1, the higher number of mod 2 tests at least points to people needing to retake their mod 2 more times than they do the mod 1.

Interesting, I was always led to believe that Mod 1 is the difficult one (or easier to fail) and Mod 2 is a breeze in comparison. That said, I came closer to failing Mod 2 than Mod 1.

Back on topic, terrible news about the rider who died. As others have said, such incidents are rare and I'd agree it is likely thanks to the controlled environment that the tests are subject to.

• 4 weeks later...

That is terrible. But also unfortunately why the test is necessary and not a reason to change it.

Needless to say though, no-one expects a family member to go off for a mod 1 and no come back. A very rare incident which along with the circumstances in which it happened makes it sad.

That is terrible. But also unfortunately why the test is necessary and not a reason to change it.

:stupid: Yes very very sad, but could have had additional consequences if in the "real world".