oil drain plug temporary fix

Valko

Hi all,

I have literally screwed the wrong way my oil drain plug. Changing the oil today I have tried to unscrew the 14mm oil drain plug the wrong way.

It was not working. Duh... I've got pissed off and got my 1m breaker bar. It worked to a point. The drain plug was turning but not getting out.

I've got under my bike and then realised I am doing that the wrong way! Realising that I unscrewed the plug. The part of the bolt near to the head was totally f**ked.

I have ordered new drain plug bolt. Drain plug bolt goes into STRAINER COVER.

I seriously don't want to spent £250 for new STRAINER COVER at this moment. Bike is Yamaha MT09 2014.

Question: is it good idea to try to screw the new bolt and also to use some kind of lock thread or even red engine gasket silicone in order to have that fixed until the next oil change. When I will replace the cover too.

Give me your quick and dirty fix people? Yay or nay? What can go wrong except f**king my engine too? :D

I am really lazy people and do not want to remove the strainer cover in order to check the thread and do that properly.

Or maybe I should do that? The problem is removing cover means new gasket there. Really hate to fix bike and not ride it. Honestly.

I have MOT booked for next Monday.

#4 is the drain plug, #3 is the oil strainer cover:

d3a6d6fa7b9fc4bbd48de8022f545ab6.PNG?6

I am guessing you haven't cracked the sump? and just stripped the threads?

If it is just thread you could helicoil it or drill it out and tap it and insert a larger plug or drill it and put an insert in taking it back the the OE size

A good fab shop would also be able to weld it and drill and tap it back to the OE size

you have plenty of options but if I was you whichever way you went I would remove the sump to make life easy

What can go wrong ? The mind boggles. All the oil falls out and covers the rear tyre , the engine seizes , the rear wheel locks up and the resulting crash kills or injures you and anyone else in your path . If you have used a breaker bar on your sump plug to the extent that it goes round without any resistance then it is f****d . A new plug and cover or a new plug and a Helicoil repair is the only solution. A quick fix ? Not a chance . You bust it , you fix it .

A good fab shop would also be able to weld it and drill and tap it back to the OE size

As someone with no knowledge of that sort of thing, how much would that likely cost?

They would have be capable of delicate ALLOY welding . No need to weld it , just Helicoil it but it's got to come off the bike whatever happens.

Just out of interest when you say you were unscrewing it the wrong way do you mean the sump turned out to be reverse threaded? I've never come across that before but have only ever worked on older vehicles so just curious if thats the case for newer ones :?:

As someone with no knowledge of that sort of thing, how much would that likely cost?

Honestly I wouldn't know!

If they do it as a guvey then not a lot!

If I need any alloy welding my brother does it for me as he is a welder fabricator :lol:

no way would I use a breaker bar on a sump plug I would use a spanner only :|

I would check and then double check which way the bolt unscrewed by holding another bolt next to it and having a long hard look at it before starting the job . It's an easy mistake to make when working upside down and this is what I do every time I go near a sump bolt .

They would have be capable of delicate ALLOY welding . No need to weld it , just Helicoil it but it's got to come off the bike whatever happens.

They wouldn't be a GOOD fab shop if they couldn't weld it!

and it would also depend on how badley damaged the threads are as to whether the helicoil would hold or not

Just out of interest when you say you were unscrewing it the wrong way do you mean the sump turned out to be reverse threaded? I've never come across that before but have only ever worked on older vehicles so just curious if thats the case for newer ones :?:

No , he was attempting to unscrew it by turning it the wrong way i.e tightening it with a 1 meter breaker bar until the threads we're destroyed. An easy mistake to make when the bolt is upside down .

What's a guvey ? Do you mean a Foreigner ?

I spelt it wrong its guvvy!

job on the side for cash in hand

IE someone welding it in their break and not going through the books for a back hander

no way would I use a breaker bar on a sump plug I would use a spanner only :|

I would check and then double check which way the bolt unscrewed by holding another bolt next to it and having a long hard look at it before starting the job . It's an easy mistake to make when working upside down and this is what I do every time I go near a sump bolt .

Good call... I've often in my head pictured trying to unscrew a jam jar upside down.... (it's what you need to do if tensioning bike spokes on a jig, they're usually upside down so you need to think carefully of what way you're doing everything before you end up making a mess)

Its normal thread sump. I just started unscrewing the wrong way, don't see cover damage hope I just stripped the threads.

Anyhow thank you guys it seems I need to get the cover out and just fix stripped threads.

Did you tighten the bolt until it turned easily? If so, you have stripped the alloy thread and/or cracked the sump. You will have to do a proper job and remove the sump plate to repair the thread. I've seen sump plates cracked when undoing the sump bolt the correct way.

lol i literally did the same thing last week. I turned it clockwise thinking i was turning if anticlockwise. The bolt came loose and wouldn't tighten again.

The fix was to rethread the hole (my mechanic charged me £40). i also ordered a new bolt and washer, which was around £5.

I don't think that there are many left hand threaded bolts on bikes are there :?:

My ER5 water pump impeller shaft is a left hand thread but apart from that I can't think of any others .