oil drain plug temporary fix

Valko

Just out of interest when you say you were unscrewing it the wrong way do you mean the sump turned out to be reverse threaded? I've never come across that before but have only ever worked on older vehicles so just curious if thats the case for newer ones :?:

Its normal thread sump. I just started unscrewing the wrong way, don't see cover damage hope I just stripped the threads.

Anyhow thank you guys it seems I need to get the cover out and just fix stripped threads.

If , and it's a big if , you have stripped the bolt and not the thread in the strainer cover then you are incredibly lucky.Its not very likely especially if the sump is alloy and the bolt is steel but stranger things have happened.

Fixed it without removing the cover. Used thread repair tap making the thread from M14 to M15 than put the new 15mm drain plug bolt.

It took 2 minutes to make the new 15mm thread with the tap. :D

Fixed it without removing the cover. Used thread repair tap making the thread from M14 to M15 than put the new 15mm drain plug bolt.

Where did you get u get it all from?

I have just discovered shagged threads on the BMW sump!

@Stu Just Google sump repair kit, it's a problem that's often encountered with loads of sets to choose from

Yeah I know but I like first hand experience of things like this

I was going to helicoil it I prefer a proper repair

It took 2 minutes to make the new 15mm thread with the tap.

You fixed a damaged M14 thread with an M15 thread?

Hmmm. Don't think that will last.

How did you manage to ensure that no swarf etc. went into the sump?

I've Helicoiled plenty of blind holes but never an open ended hole such as a sump drain. What is there to keep the Helicoil insert from turning in either direction when the bolt is turned ? Is it possible that cutting a larger thread is actually the better option ? I hope I never have to find out . I had a look on eBay and there are enough of these kits to suggest that cutting a larger diameter thread is a very common practice.

Screenshot_20190316-151325.thumb.png.0912ad59a418624456ea52a3bcc9bdc8.png

Praying. Seriously the tap tool has grooves and I have seen all the swarfs getting into tap tool grooves and going downwards. I have done it in two passes, 1st chasing only to the middle then got out the tap tool and cleaned the swarfs than 2nd time.

If there is a little get in, my thinking is the filter is there to stop them yes?

My main concern now have I got too deep and drilled something inside, anybody has any idea how deep is the cover and what is the space there?

Amazon and because I needed it next day bought this £23: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DTEM2C8/

Otherwise would have bought this half price £11: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sump-Plug-Thread-Repair-Re-taps/dp/B012B3ZQCA/

Otherwise Google "Oil Drain Plug Thread Repair Set M15" if your old is M14. There are may of those different sizes. Very please with it.

I didn't have the proper square handle for the tap tool and just used a bit and wrench which was not perfect fit, with the handle you will have precise control on the thread.

Edited by Valko

Amazon and because I needed it next day bought this £23: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DTEM2C8/

Otherwise would have bought this half price £11: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sump-Plug-Thread-Repair-Re-taps/dp/B012B3ZQCA/

Otherwise Google "Oil Drain Plug Thread Repair Set M15" if your old is M14. There are may of those different sizes. Very please with it.

I didn't have the proper square handle for the tap tool and just used a bit and wrench which was not perfect fit, with the handle you will have precise control on the thread.

Thats the one I have been looking at

although on the BM its an M18 :shock:

Praying. Seriously the tap tool has grooves and I have seen all the swarfs getting into tap tool grooves and going downwards. I have done it in two passes, 1st chasing only to the middle then got out the tap tool and cleaned the swarfs than 2nd time.

If there is a little get in, my thinking is the filter is there to stop them yes?

My main concern now have I got too deep and drilled something inside, anybody has any idea how deep is the cover and what is the space there?

Should have just poked a stick up it and used your thumb to gauge the depth.

Well well well , guess what ? If you were to buy a new sump ,Yamaha have modified it so that the drain plug is now ON THE SIDE ! Apparently the plug is too close to the ground to get a bowl underneath to catch the oil. It's also very vulnerable to being knocked off . That would also explain all the aftermarket sump protectors on the net .

Update: passed MOT Monday, but there is tiny leak.My mechanic told me I managed to make the new thread with very small angle deviation from the vertical.

One tiny drop of oil in like 10 minutes. Not happy.

He gave me a plastic washer said the plastic can compress unevenly and to take out the leak. I have tried the plastic washer and it started leak a lot more :evil:

Drained all oil.

Today bought Loctite SI5990 Copper Silicone Gasket Maker and put the bolt with regular metal washer and some loctite. Copper silicone is high temp oil resistant stuff it must work yeah?

Will add oil again tomorrow and see how it goes. :thumb:

If there is a leak I am going full liquid metal on that drain plug. Seriously pissed off now.

See my previous posts.

I found only 1 post and I have to say it is not tremendously helpful mate, unless I miss something :lol:

It took 2 minutes to make the new 15mm thread with the tap.

You fixed a damaged M14 thread with an M15 thread?

Hmmm. Don't think that will last.

Thank you anyway...