is this an oil leak? (pics included)

workpeter

After 40 minutes of riding, my bike engine cut out whilst I was slowing down and coming to the end of my journey. I notice all this oily substance (see pictures). If it is oil, why is it coming out of there?

Not sure why the engine cut out, low oil pressure?

I couldnt restart the bike (played around with kill switch, clutch etc). The engine just wouldn't even make a sound (as if the kill switch was on).

Here is the interesting thing, I walked home and came back with only a tiny cupful of oil and put it in the bike. And then the bike starts....

i doubt that was the solution. When i checked the oil levels there was lots of oil in the bike.

Any ideas?

I recently had an oil change.

Untitled.thumb.png.b1a042fd3ad878186b1bfa2524da7bd2.png

Edited by workpeter

Whats the oil level? has it been overfilled? :|

i suspect it was slightly overfilled. The manual says 3.5 litre capacity dry fil, but judging by the oil left in the 4litre bottle which the mechanic gave back suggests maybe around 3.8 litres was put in. However i do trust my mechanic. Do you think that could cause the chain of events I described?

I just wondered when you said you had an oil change. have you ridden it since that?

I have heard of older bikes having leaks after fully synthetic oil being used.

I'd wait until someone a bit cleverer than me chimes in first though :lol:

I just wondered when you said you had an oil change. have you ridden it since that?

I have heard of older bikes having leaks after fully synthetic oil being used.

I'd wait until someone a bit cleverer than me chimes in first though :lol:

Ah ok. I've ridden it about 60miles since the oil change then it cut out. Its got Castrol Power 1 Engine Oil 10w-40 4T inside

certainly looks wet thats for sure!

Its on your radiator though so are you sure its not coolant?

if it is oil then it may well be leaking from the rocker cover gasket

Do you think it's related to the bike cutting out and not starting up until later in the day?

certainly looks wet thats for sure!

Its on your radiator though so are you sure its not coolant?

if it is oil then it may well be leaking from the rocker cover gasket

Do you think it's related to the bike cutting out and not starting up until later in the day?

Its hard to say!

if the bike is carbed then it could be carb icing in this weather!

It could also be a blocked tank breather stopping fuel flow

It could be that the oil/water thats on the rad could have wet the plugs causing it to stop!

Although if there was nothing on the starter it could be something totally different

Personally I would get it to someone who knows what they are looking at

Its hard to recommend what to do with things like this through the internet

you need to know what problems you have before just flushing things and stuff

Stick you location in your profile as someone may well be close by will to take a look for you

Surely if you rub the liquid between your fingers you would be able to tell whether it's oil or coolant . What's the oil change capacity with a filter change ? I wouldn't automatically assume that the bike cutting out is in any way related to what you have found . You discovered the leak BECAUSE you were looking for clues as to why the bike cut out . The secret to fault finding is to be totally logical and assume nothing .

Top tip .... Try cleaning the bike now and again and you will come across any thing that might need attention :thumb:

Very sound advice .

So interesting development.

Was riding to work this morning and the engine heat indicator was off the charts!

I highly suspect the coolant has leaked away, which I think was that stuff coming out of the radiator last night and maybe why the engine cut out if an onboard CPU detected serious overheating?!

We did an experiment today where we put fresh water into the coolant system, and then we immediately notice it leaking from the inlet tube seal. Its this rubber tube which feeds the coolant into the radiator and the tube is fastened on with a PVC clip. So I'm gonna buy a replacement clip today and retighten it.

https://cpc.farnell.com/domus/125-4/4-round-pvc-hose-clip/dp/HG00438?st=pvc%20clip

actually on seconds thoughts im probably wrong. Looking at the picture from last night, the leak was coming from the radiator, not the pipe. So maybe what i saw this morning was it leaking from the radiator onto the pipe.

actually on seconds thoughts im probably wrong. Looking at the picture from last night, the leak was coming from the radiator, not the pipe. So maybe what i saw this morning was it leaking from the radiator onto the pipe.

I know a fix for a leaking radiator. I can post a picture of how to do it this evening. Don't go putting any magic potions into it until you have seen what I did . Radweld is fairly shite anyway.

Mechanic suggested i put water directly through the radiator cap rather than the expansion tank, and if its still leaking try putting in some Holts Radweld

Hold fire on the Radweld until you have seen my fix , details to follow this evening .

DO NOT PUT RADWELD IN A MOTORCYCLE RADIATOR. It's too thick and can block radiator passages. If it is a small coolant leak, use K Seal It., but wait for Bob's advice first.

Alright thank you, ill wait.:)

For now i just put filtered water in and reseviour tank is full.

I didnt see any leaks when i turned bike on but im guess thats because the water inside isnt hot enough yet so isnt pressurised.

I take pictures after my 30mile ride later

I returned the radweld and replaced it with K Seal , however wont use just yet, will wait on bob.

Out of curiosity. Is it better to put the k Seal into the coolant reservoir tank or directly into the radiator through the radiator cap?

I did overfill the reservoir tank so im guessing I should let it drain off first..