The DIY thread.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Very nice stuff on here.

I need a wood store, I think sometimessans design might be more within my grasp :lol:

I have 2 like his made from the pallet the wood came in cut in half and old fence panel :D

As for making stuff myself I have done flat roofs (fibreglass), kitchens, bathroom, tiled flooring laminate flooring, remodelled gardens, built a hanging table, a car roof rack when I had the tandem, god knows how many shelves...

Helped grandad build a pond yacht at 8 then a few years later I put a remote control in it, then put a gopro on it:

">

Then there is sailing this beast seems to take half my time:

">

I just don't believe in paying for overpriced equipment/ items (log sheds!), people for maintenance or work I can do myself.

I only have the 3 routers, do I need more :shock:

The equation is:

Optimum number of routers = n + 1

Where n = current number of routers

:lol:

This formula works for bikes too :mrgreen:

Nice paper :D

Funny thing is, after finding it, I had a long talk with my wife about how weird it is how decorating tastes have changed. We both grew up in houses with wallpaper like that. and carpets with weird patterns.

Nowadays everything is plain solid colours. I wonder if in 20 years we'll look back and think how utterly boring it all used to look :lol:

I did a kitchen too!

when we first moved in

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 09.19.10.png

And now

IMG_20170813_122510.jpg

Best bit though is the wallpaper I found behind the old units :lol:

IMG_1977.JPG

Which is the before :?

Just dug out some more old pictures.

When I moved into this place despite a decent size living room the layout of it was annoying to place TV and have a sofa facing it without blocking walkway into kitchen.

So I extended the wall for cupboard under stairs so I could fit TV and then sofa could go on long back wall.

How it looked before...

DSC_0125.thumb.JPG.ef68427f38b9646d2d85b030bf69d831.JPG

Extension in...

DSC_0131.thumb.JPG.968f8d3e9af65b94b8ec236e5bc7dcaf.JPG

How it looks now...

20190315_110231.thumb.jpg.0371e94ee5d53e789cfc36ff3495da62.jpg

Ohh that looks really nice [mention]Via[/mention] !

Some really cool stuff in this thread, love Benders work too, that mirror is gorgeous.

Funny thing is, after finding it, I had a long talk with my wife about how weird it is how decorating tastes have changed. We both grew up in houses with wallpaper like that. and carpets with weird patterns.

Nowadays everything is plain solid colours. I wonder if in 20 years we'll look back and think how utterly boring it all used to look :lol:

I was thinking about this recently. For me it was the fashion of having three solid colour walls, normally a dark colour, and then one wall with mad textured wall paper.

Kinda like this:

Glam-living-room-Style-at-Home-Housetohome.co_.uk_.jpg

Normally seen in a living room Way smaller than this... Been in a couple where the dark colours make it all feel very claustrophobic.

This isn't even going into clothing fashion. I've seen pictures of people looking really proud in their luminescence shell suits...! What awful gaffs are we making now that will really not age well?

(Looking at you top-knot man buns... )

Just dug out some more old pictures.

When I moved into this place despite a decent size living room the layout of it was annoying to place TV and have a sofa facing it without blocking walkway into kitchen.

So I extended the wall for cupboard under stairs so I could fit TV and then sofa could go on long back wall.

How it looked before...

DSC_0125.JPG

Extension in...

DSC_0131.JPG

How it looks now...

20190315_110231.jpg

Mrs and I have not long moved and were looking at doing this in our front room, but with wood!

Yours looks good, might have to ask for tips :thumb:

Nice paper :D

I have a chest of drawers that is still lined inside with off-cuts of the wallpaper we had in our living room in the 1970s. Are you ready for this? :lol:

IMG_1625.thumb.JPG.dc9f5f8068e9ef0a247bb8d23a2c07a5.JPG

Now, imagine that with a royal blue carpet, swirly orange and red curtains, a big orange retractable pendant lamp in the ceiling and the mandatory spiderplant in a three-tier whicker hanging basket. I've never taken hallucinogenic drugs, but if I had to imagine an acid flashback, that would be it. :shock:

Mrs and I have not long moved and were looking at doing this in our front room, but with wood!

Yours looks good, might have to ask for tips :thumb:

That is just wood. The TV is bracketed into old wall, the rest was just for asthetics so TV didnt stick out past wall, didn't originally need to take any weight.

I have a 2x2 running floor to ceiling at corner then battoning across for support then just 2mm MDF as the replacement.

I did since then change the speakers for surround sound which were a bit bigger than they looked in picture :lol: so have one of those mounted onto the wood and has no issues with supporting that at all, speakers been up about a year now with no sign of any issue.

Replacing coving was hardest part, absolute nightmare getting it to blend in with old coving that ended up being more filler than coving.

I have a chest of drawers that is still lined inside with off-cuts of the wallpaper we had in our living room in the 1970s. Are you ready for this? :lol:

IMG_1625.JPG

Now, imagine that with a royal blue carpet, swirly orange and red curtains, a big orange retractable pendant lamp in the ceiling and the mandatory spiderplant in a three-tier whicker hanging basket. I've never taken hallucinogenic drugs, but if I had to imagine an acid flashback, that would be it. :shock:

....why does that make me think of "dead grandmothers crawling up your leg with a knife in their teeth"???? 

That reminds me of childhood all my drawers were lined with wallpaper... amazing things you forget about :lol:

That reminds me of childhood all my drawers were lined with wallpaper... amazing things you forget about :lol:

Was it Superman wallpaper? :D

That’s what my brothers had. I was so jealous :lol:

No never had such trendy stuff when I was a kid, was more like the style MarkW posted :(

No never had such trendy stuff when I was a kid, was more like the style MarkW posted :(

So was this stuff. I’m off to see if I can find a pic of original 70s superman wallpaper!

Excuse me I could be sometime.....