Evil Roundabout Surfaces

Beans

Thanks Mike I am ok. I am a couple of hundred quid worse off (top box and mounting plate) I think you know the roundabout, I cannot believe that they made the carriageway of a roundabout out of glazed brick, so its like riding on wet ceramic tiles in the rain. https://aseasyasridingabike.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dscn9936.jpg

I should have done what the van is doing in this picture and gone straight over

Glad you're not too bad....have you got a local MAG branch that could help you to put a complaint in to the council about the road surface? Motocyclists pay Council Tax as well, don't we? Do you know of any other PTW that have come to grief there?

Those top boxes seem to get good ratings, anyhow.

Keep us posted on your progress.

This looks like it could turn into an interesting thread with valuable information, but it might be lost if it stays under a thread title Ryde Top Boxes. Mods might want to split the thread and give it a more relevant title.

I know, Holy thread resurrection ya but I find myself asking this very question, having bust off my givi top box on poynton roundabout earlier today having slid across it. 😒

Hi [mention]Beans[/mention] yes I know that roundabout well, and have even skidded on it in the car when it was wet. Hope you get it all sorted.

Where is that horrible roundabout? Just so I can make sure I never find myself on it! It amazes me how councils build / mark roads and never get sued for killing or injuring somebody.

Poynton

Ugh. I know exactly what they did there in Poynton. The idea is that as it seems a bit different traffic is meant to slow down. Then suddenly just like that families will be happy to cycle over it with their kids, grandparents will be able to cross through the middle and do an Irish jig in the middle etc etc. As if

This looks like it could turn into an interesting thread with valuable information, but it might be lost if it stays under a thread title Ryde Top Boxes. Mods might want to split the thread and give it a more relevant title.

OH WE MIGHT, MIGHT WE?

Yeah alright seems a good idea! :cheers:

OH WE MIGHT, MIGHT WE?

Yeah alright seems a good idea! :cheers:

Ah. Thought I was going mad for a minute :D

Dreadful ! If we have a long spell of dry weather and a film of oil , rubber and diesel builds up and then it rains , this is going to be absolutely deadly . What on earth are the planners thinking here ? They seem to have chosen a decorative effect at the expense of road safety . I hope nobody has to die before these idiots pull their heads out of their arses.

They tried this shit in Leamington . I felt my back end go on it but I didn't come off . I remember at the time thinking how wrong this looked . You could see rain water sitting on it in globules. I could be wrong but I think it's gone now . I'll check Google maps . Yep , no trace of it anymore , back to normal tarmac . I wonder if this was done in response to public pressure ? It was right in front of the Council House as well .

Road surfaces on a normal Road have to adhere to certain levels of grip, I would be sceptical that this meets any of those, I really would take it forward, even if you get no where they are going to have to log it and if someone else has an accident it's going to start lookibg bad

Dreadful ! If we have a long spell of dry weather and a film of oil , rubber and diesel builds up and then it rains , this is going to be absolutely deadly . What on earth are the planners thinking here ? They seem to have chosen a decorative effect at the expense of road safety . I hope nobody has to die before these idiots pull their heads out of their arses.

They're not considering motorcyclists at all, as we make up 'only'' around 1% of road traffic. That's the way it seems anyway.

No where near as bad as that Poynton roundabout, but they've started putting in brick strips about a metre wide across the exits of various small roundabouts in Reading, they get pretty slick in the rain!

Christ on a bike that looks dangerous. Glad your ok but man I'd sue the crap out the council/planners who argreed sugested that type road surface . I'd make then ride a motorbike over it in the rain see how far they get ..

Christ on a bike that looks dangerous. Glad your ok but man I'd sue the crap out the council/planners who argreed sugested that type road surface . I'd make then ride a motorbike over it in the rain see how far they get ..

as long as it was their own :wink:

I've never see such an ill thought out road surface. Were the planners on drugs when this was conceived? I would definitely press the local council for some sort of compo package, which if enough people do that they could end up making it safer.