Ebay is dangerous

Westbeef

Well I got speaking to some old 2T moped enthusiast and one thing led on another and for the sweet sum of 85 quid I'm now the owner of this :mrgreen:. I'll get a project thread going but be prepared for it to be slow and have many steps backwards rather than forwards.

Screenshot_20190317-202625_eBay.thumb.jpg.814be9492ddc99d547112dd516191ac4.jpgScreenshot_20190317-202637_eBay.thumb.jpg.f08ac739e7928514568bcf7c739294fc.jpgScreenshot_20190317-202652_eBay.thumb.jpg.77d2d60418491e3d1a9776af05de33e8.jpg

Might come to a rally on it

Ebay might well be dangerous.......but will it be as dangerous as your new bike?....

"Quality dropped to previously unseen levels and there had even been lorry loads of unusable moped sold to Germany whose engines seizing after only some 100 km of use. The reason for this poor quality was simple, tooling for the production of the crankcases was now so dilapidated that the openings for the crank bearings had been machined too small.

For the U.K. readers of this, you might be interesting to know that some 300 of these faulty mopeds rejected by Germany were sent to the UK by Motokov and sold there as cheap motorcycles to obtain cherished registration number plates. I was horrified at the time over this practice but was assured by Motokov that these bikes were never destined to actually go on the road, their numbers eventually being sold to the personalised number plate trade. (These mopeds were subsequently sold off cheaply in the UK, some of them in batches of 10 at a time, but there was no warning about them being unsuitable for normal use. Some of them had their handlebars modified so that one side would swivel round to enable the moped to be carried more easily on the rear of a camper van. Many of them are still in circulation and still crop up on ebay from time to time.  - jawamoped)"

...interestingly, I found one of these on the Bay supposedly running but with 10 miles on the clock and "never been on the road". Wonder why? Was it one of the machines described above? At any rate, the seller wanted £550 for it.......

Ebay might well be dangerous.......but will it be as dangerous as your new bike?....

"Quality dropped to previously unseen levels and there had even been lorry loads of unusable moped sold to Germany whose engines seizing after only some 100 km of use. The reason for this poor quality was simple, tooling for the production of the crankcases was now so dilapidated that the openings for the crank bearings had been machined too small.

For the U.K. readers of this, you might be interesting to know that some 300 of these faulty mopeds rejected by Germany were sent to the UK by Motokov and sold there as cheap motorcycles to obtain cherished registration number plates. I was horrified at the time over this practice but was assured by Motokov that these bikes were never destined to actually go on the road, their numbers eventually being sold to the personalised number plate trade. (These mopeds were subsequently sold off cheaply in the UK, some of them in batches of 10 at a time, but there was no warning about them being unsuitable for normal use. Some of them had their handlebars modified so that one side would swivel round to enable the moped to be carried more easily on the rear of a camper van. Many of them are still in circulation and still crop up on ebay from time to time.  - jawamoped)"

...interestingly, I found one of these on the Bay supposedly running but with 10 miles on the clock and "never been on the road". Wonder why? Was it one of the machines described above? At any rate, the seller wanted £550 for it.......

It's probably less dangerous now, than it will be when I'm finished with it.

strewth give your ped a thorough going over westbeef before you put it on the road

I'll be fully rebuilding it, new everything if needed :thumb: and of course it needs an MOT.

Interested to hear how you get on with it, do you think spares will be a problem?

No I had a look and there's a website in europe which seems to have everything you'd ever need for one, and at a reasonable price too. They're a bit worried about brexit it says on their website but I'm sure May might sort me out and get me a trade deal sorted with them.

https://www.jawashop.com/by-type_k11/jawa_k17/jawa-50-babetta_k19/jawa-50-type-210-babetta_k20/

strewth give your ped a thorough going over westbeef before you put it on the road

I'll be fully rebuilding it, new everything if needed :thumb: and of course it needs an MOT.

Interested to hear how you get on with it, do you think spares will be a problem?

No I had a look and there's a website in europe which seems to have everything you'd ever need for one, and at a reasonable price too. They're a bit worried about brexit it says on their website but I'm sure May might sort me out and get me a trade deal sorted with them.

https://www.jawashop.com/by-type_k11/jawa_k17/jawa-50-babetta_k19/jawa-50-type-210-babetta_k20/

Just had a look at that site.....Bloody Hell, they've got everything........is your bike the one with the three automatic clutches? This will be good......let the building begin! :popcorn: :thumb:

Honestly I have no idea, I'll find out when I get into it. I have a workshop manual for it which seems better than some modern ones :lol:. I imagine itll be fairly slow progress but should be good fun :)

you could always ask her you never know :P