The DIY thread.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Apart from the hull every fitting in or on this boat was done by my wife and I. It took us 2 1/2 years working 5 days a week when I was home and my wife averaged about 3 days a week when I was away. I will NEVER do it again. I am completely cured of DIY apart from some gentle indoors decorating. Sadly we sold the boat 2 years ago.

IMG_20150712_203025343_HDR.thumb.jpg.a5ed90639c17d6114507d711b5f9ff64.jpg

We went to IKEA at the weekend, so that's my DIY done for this month :lol:

Apart from teh repeat visits to collect the parts that are missing :D

Funnily enough we originally went in because in the house move we had bent a few IKEA specific screws and mildly destroyed the back panel of the wardrobe, and so were going cap in hand to ask for spares, which they happily arranged for us for no charge! :mrgreen: Was very impressed.

However, a quick trip for a few screws, did end up being two hours of wandering about, a trolley full of new goodies we hadn't planned for (yet) and a shopping list for next month when we're going back :oops:

Dangerous place Ikea. Almost as bad as Ebay

The difference between them is that it isn't so easy to go shopping in Ikea at one o'clock in the morning in a state of what we might euphemistically call 'diminished responsibility'.

In France a couple of years ago, after one particularly self-destructive experiment with the local cider, I awoke to an email telling me that I was the proud owner of a build-your-own life-size model dalek, a huge box of assorted plastic dinosaurs, an aquarium complete with robot fish, and a motorbike.

:oops:

The difference between them is that it isn't so easy to go shopping in Ikea at one o'clock in the morning in a state of what we might euphemistically call 'diminished responsibility'.

In France a couple of years ago, after one particularly self-destructive experiment with the local cider, I awoke to an email telling me that I was the proud owner of a build-your-own life-size model dalek, a huge box of assorted plastic dinosaurs, an aquarium complete with robot fish, and a motorbike.

Come on then where's the pictures of the assembled dalek?

Right, after a bit of a hunt around in the warehouse I located the dalek and the bike, both of which are in a similar state of (*cough*) near-completion:

DSC_0148.thumb.JPG.8864f11203cc6591fec6f901c22109f4.JPG

DSC_0147.thumb.JPG.c086dac586dd819f43fb8eb6d0bb24a5.JPG

I decided to street-fighter the bike after pulling off one knackered part after another, and will probably get around to it once the Morris Traveller that is currently being restored by one of our staff has vacated the premises. :D

The difference between them is that it isn't so easy to go shopping in Ikea at one o'clock in the morning in a state of what we might euphemistically call 'diminished responsibility'. do you mean popped up :?:

:oops: :?:

do you mean popped up :wink:

do you mean popped up :?: :wink:

Right, after a bit of a hunt around in the warehouse I located the dalek and the bike, both of which are in a similar state of (*cough*) near-completion:

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

I decided to street-fighter the bike after pulling off one knackered part after another, and will probably get around to it once the Morris Traveller that is currently being restored by one of our staff has vacated the premises. :D

Nearly finished then :thumb:

Apart from the hull every fitting in or on this boat was done by my wife and I. It took us 2 1/2 years working 5 days a week when I was home and my wife averaged about 3 days a week when I was away. I will NEVER do it again. I am completely cured of DIY apart from some gentle indoors decorating. Sadly we sold the boat 2 years ago.

So after months on board you are back home to work on the boat. You must be really in love with it. :thumb:

My DIY bike shed. Looks like it's for the bins doesn't it.

20190319_094905.thumb.jpg.c72339f40d967f1df339a33a03c57722.jpg

But within it's insulated walls is a heater and bike.

20190207_143330.thumb.jpg.d7f3824a3f034b950cc722c4b2e48cfc.jpg

The basic shed only cost about 100 quid, had to extend it 12" insulate, and the heater was £45.

It's sealed from any draughts and the bike is always bone dry :thumb:

20190319_094905.jpg

20190207_143330.jpg

The basic shed only cost about 100 quid, had to extend it 12" insulate, and the heater was £45.

Looks really good! And the fact it doesn't look like a bike shed is a massive bonus in my mind, will stop the opportunist thieves having a look.

20190319_094905.jpg

20190207_143330.jpg

Looks really good! And the fact it doesn't look like a bike shed is a massive bonus in my mind, will stop the opportunist thieves having a look.

Doesn't cost much to heat either because of the low roof and 25mm polystyrene insulation. 234kwh since 1st of November. Roughly 32 quid 8-)

My best DIY is my 30ft by 18 ft garage . The double extension on my house . Full length the house 30ft then 10ft out so we now have down stairs bathroom walking shower toilet. Massive kitchen. Utility room .my action man room (dining room ) then living room .upstairs 5 bed rooms .1with ensuite bathroom shower. Then another bath room at the far end the landing .

Attic very low can't do crap in there old house .

We have high ceilings I wanted to gut the whole house lower the ceilings to make a fair size attic . But wife said not as it ment we live in a caravan for 6months till I done the floors and walls .

But as I was working at the time as.well it would been 6months or so ..

. All building work was done off ladders no scaffolding till the end when I done the rendering on the walls . And 1 full skip of clay . All the earth from the footings went in to the front garden .All the crap bricks rubble In one massive hole in the back garden . As our gardens don't have any stones bigger than chippins we used to have the garden flooding but now as i filed it with briks and rubble water runs away .

20190319_094905.jpg

20190207_143330.jpg

Nice cosy storage for the bike.

20190319_094905.jpg

20190207_143330.jpg

Did it come with a free Dwarf to get your bike in and out ....

Today's DIY is repairing toilet, the actual flush mechanism has been dodgy for ages (top push button) can't tighten button down if you do it just persistently flushes, and the filling mechanism died last week where it won't shut off... If you fiddle with it you can find a sweet spot where it stops and then just got to hope it don't move.

So pulled off cistern which was a nightmare as whoever fitted it decided to glue it to the wall behind so after undoing it all still wouldn't move, had to run a bread knife down the back of it :roll:

Just a short break now before new bits go in and reassembly, this isn't first time I've had to to fix a cistern but one thing I never understand is how do they become so filthy, it's absolutely disgusting inside but obviously you don't sh*t in the cistern it only fills with clean water so wtf happens in there?!

I absolutely detest DIY in any form!

I have a fairly wide range of skills and have to do many different

things at work.

But, at home, things always go wrong!

I'd far rather pay someone else to do it

Today's DIY is repairing toilet, the actual flush mechanism has been dodgy for ages (top push button) can't tighten button down if you do it just persistently flushes, and the filling mechanism died last week where it won't shut off... If you fiddle with it you can find a sweet spot where it stops and then just got to hope it don't move.

So pulled off cistern which was a nightmare as whoever fitted it decided to glue it to the wall behind so after undoing it all still wouldn't move, had to run a bread knife down the back of it :roll:

Just a short break now before new bits go in and reassembly, this isn't first time I've had to to fix a cistern but one thing I never understand is how do they become so filthy, it's absolutely disgusting inside but obviously you don't sh*t in the cistern it only fills with clean water so wtf happens in there?!

Usually just black mould, which can cause health problems for people with reduced immune systems, hard water and slightly warm lids which are usually damp make perfect breeding grounds for growths of nasty things.