Opinions on leaving your helmet locked on your bike

potatobroxd

Has anyone done this on a daily basis and and there ever any severe consequences of doing so?

E.g did people mess with your helmet, any scratches made by others, bugs infestation in your helmet :roll:

im starting to get sick of carrying it on my back and no i will not spend 200 quid for a top box set as im a cheap **** :)

Back in the day, most bikes used to have a helmet lock, usually part of the seat mechanism. Mind you, that was when the Griffin Clubman was the go-to titfer. Even then, scrotes with a Stanley knife blade would help themselves to your lid (and usually slash your seat into the bargain. Bless 'em.). Didn't matter if it would fasten or not. Then, as now, plod never checked as long as it looked kosher from a distance.

In this age of the £450 AGV, moped thieves and general a-holeness, would you really leave your lid unattended? Even a fifty-quid special is fair game, these days.

When I got my 125 I was trying to get to know my way around it I took the seat off and saw this weird wire thing. I had no idea what it was or what it was for so took a photo. Showed it to my boss in work who had rode motorcycles for 40 odd years. As soon as he told me it was for tying your helmet strap to when you park up your bike my response was "why on earth would you do that?", before he said he'd known a few people to lose their helmet that way.

It does suck when you have to take it with you, I went to London for work last year and rode to the train station. I considered using left luggage only to find the cost obscene, so ended up just carrying it and my leather jacket around all day.

Why not purchase a cheapie ebay top box? One I got was £30 and was large enough for helmet and boots (plus rolled up lightweight rain gear).

The locking mechanism was an absolute joke and could be opened in 2 secs by a thief if they tried but strangely bike boxes are rarely targeted by thieves they tend to take whole bike, used it for 2 years without issue. There was someone using same parking as me who would chain his lid to wheel, personally thieves and sabotage aside you cant trust english weather and no one likes a soggy helmet.

I leave my lid and the Mrs lid on the bike as the top box is full of our leather jackets . I have a lock and clasp on my top box lid (like you have on garden gates with a nice padlock ) then I put my big chain thro the back wheel thro the frame then round something solid then back over the seat then we put the chain thro the helmet/visor twist the chain so the lids stay on the seats then lock it up . The chain I have is 2 meters long .it's 2 chains with big padlock (lock filled in so can't be opened ) then use a grant insurance disc lock to lock it all up . . I dont put the helmets near the floor as a cupl weeks after I started riding I locked my lid to my bike and had the helmet hanging on the foot rest . As I was walking back to my bike a d a dog was pissing on to my bike right by the lid . So I road the bike home with no lid as I chucked it .if I was stopped I was going to blame the cops for my lid being nicked .. So since then off the floor ..

Mind you iv not thought about tossers pissing in to helmets mmm might have to think of a different way to store my lid on walk about.

leaving your helmet locked on your bike...

Where is the bike? At work everybody leaves their helmet unlocked on the bike. It's secure underground parking.

When I go ride around places I know I leave my helmet unlocked on the bars sometime. At some places I lock it to the bars with lead and place it on the tank.

Some places I get it with me.

Means it depends on the place. Hence the question where?

did people mess with your helmet

The chance people to mess with your helmet is the same as to damage your bike IMO. Very low depending on the place.

any scratches made by others

Not likely, again people to mess with your helmet is the same as to damage your bike IMO. Very low depending on the place.

bugs...

Not likely, unless you leave it somewhere outside for a week pigeons may nest in it :D

I'd never leave my lid on the bike in any busy crowded area. Elsewhere - maybe. There are still places where people don't lock their doors at night etc. so I'd think about it. However rain, wind, or anything else likely to give it problems no. Also a good lid is so damned expensive.

If Im parking at work I do, BUT that's because at present my bike gets left all day in a locked garage (locked from 9.30am until 4.30pm unless you request for it to be unlocked to get your stuff, it's an unofficial motorbike, cycle and car park accessories eg cones dumping ground lol). I may also leave it there if I ride out to some motorbike friendly event or area.

If Im general riding and park in some kind of car park or at a shop etc then no the helmet comes too, Not so much because of theft but as you say people will mess around with it and/or drop/knock it! :(

At work I leave it on the seat but that’s in a secure underground car park with security guards and you can only get in the car park with restricted access approval. Otherwise no because I’d be worried about someone stealing/damaging/ pissing in it.

Not a chance :lol:

We live in a day and age where you need CCTV to stop people pinching Amazon packages left on your doorstep :shock:

If people are willing to steal a mystery box that might only be worth less than £10, they'll steal a shiney helmet attached to a bike.

I differ with mine. If I’m going to leave it I will either padlock it to my bike or strap it in a hidden area on my bike (under the front tyre). Although I don’t suggest doing that! It’s worth carrying the helmet around with you, it is one of the unfortunate responsibilities that come with riding I guess!