Cats peeing on things

elizabethf

So a cat has taken to sitting on my bike when it's covered up under the window. That's fine, don't mind.

However this morning I went to uncover the bike and the cover (not the bike fortunately, cover did its job!) reeks of cat piss. There wasnt a puddle anywhere so I assume it's a tom spray.

It's my neighbour's cat that is always sitting on there. Im not sure it it's a tom though, it's very friendly. However it's also never in their house, it's played with and fed outside, and at night it sleeps under the bush or my car.

So I suppose the options are:

1. Steal the cat and have it neutered IF it needs neutering

2. Ask the neighbours if they could kindly neuter their cat

3. Find a method to make my bike unattractive to the tom.

I'm guessing legally one is out of the question lol. Two is a maybe but I don't speak to the neighbours often, we look out for each other's properties if we spot something unusual and we saying morning etc if we spot each other, but not the kind of relationship were you can demand they sort out their pets. So Im asking you cat owners about option three?

Im a dog owner/dog person and I know bitch spray exists for dogs, is there a kitty alternative?

You know those bird scaring gun shot things?

Do you reckon point blank, it would frighten a cat into never going near there ever again?

Just a random thought... Not one you should act on... :thumb:

:lol:

The first time I saw it sat on the bike I opened the window and not only did it not flinch, it came up to me and tried to walk into the house using the bike as the ladder :? Scaring it won't work, we've been too nice to it for too long. It even calls the dog's bluff now, as my dog will chase a cat but once she catches them up and corners them she sits and waits for them to play (when she was a pup I looked after a cat briefly so she thinks cats are fun not foe)

This stops all the neighbour hoods cats using the gravel in my garden as a toilet - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Doff-700g-Super-Cat-Repellent/dp/B004GKO4M0/ref=sr_1_9?crid=O3U6LRCIWKH2&keywords=cat+repellent+granules&qid=1553082465&s=gateway&sprefix=cat+repellent+gr%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-9

Can pick it up cheaper at The Range / Home Bargins/ B&M / cheapy shop of your choice.

However it is useless in the rain :evil:

I personally see no issue with discussing point two with them. They may be unaware of what their cat is doing and raising awareness of it may help. Of course, alternatively they may not give a crap but at least you tried.

If my dog was crapping/peeing on someone's property and they raised it I would be expected to do whatever reasonable to resolve, right?

Is there other cats around? That's usually why they mark things. Their way of saying paws off, it's mine :lol:

Yes, A LOT. Their shit is everywhere. They fight a lot too.

Of course, alternatively they may not give a crap but at least you tried.

It will probably be that. They've lived here about two years (it's a council house) and its a weird dynamic - the cat moved in with two guys, one guy then just disappeared, every so often comes back. He has kids that come i think about every other weekend, sometimes the mum stays, sometimes not. they now have a dog that looks like a Pom cross, thing... either way it's hairy and yaps alllll day. The guy that's always there is friendly enough but seeing as I dont think anyone has a steady job neutering their animals isnt a high priority.

The cat is kinda sweet for a tom.... if he sees my neighbour's car coming up the street he runs to greet him :)

I will have more of a think when I get home, as we had to house train our last rescue cat, as her previous home had been pretty awful.

However the main thing I can think of at the moment is Citrus smells, so we have a leftover spray which is strong Citronella (Like the lovely summer outdoor candles) and both my cats frigging HATE that smell, so stay well away.

You know those bird scaring gun shot things?

Do you reckon point blank, it would frighten a cat into never going near there ever again?

Just a random thought... Not one you should act on... :thumb:

It wouldn't be just pee you will be dealing with..... :D

PS dilute household bleach will kill the smell stone dead but make sure you wash it off well 'cos it's one of the most corrosive things known to person kind.

We once went on a boating holiday in Eire and the boatyard had a load of cats with kittens, which really seemed to like laying claim to the windscreen air vents on my Passat..that was parked up awaiting our return.... (Well it really belonged to the Brigade) in the traditional way. The smell was unbelievable. Talk about Blues and Poohs...... :roll: A couple of buckets of bleach and a thorough rinse soon sorted it out, though.

There are repellent sprays available.... just check it out on the Web....

Problem is, it's a territorial thing... try getting a big plastic moggy tp put near your bike. Dunno if it will work but Poundland will be happy.... :thumb:

Edited by Anonymous

Can you put something like a blanket your dog has been laying on over the bike?

Might train the cat's to stay away.

Or you could borrow our friends westie, he goes absolutely ape shit at any other critter in our garden when we look after him.

Leave the cat alone .once the smell fades to your nose anyway . It stop other cats peeing on the bike . Also if it's under wraps how do you know there is no mice eating your wires well the cats per will stop that . Also if you got SCUM in your area looking to pinch a bike well one that smells of cats pee well let's say I won't want to pinch it . .