A tale of woe!

learningtofly

Well, I seem to have pushed out the boundaries of stupidity by some way this morning. Having just left the dental surgery where I was parked outside, I pulled away without taking the padlock off of my rear sprocket. Consequently, I went over with the bike, and the sprocket and chain were completely destroyed (two days before the big ride out that I’ve spent the last three months organising)!

Anyway, to cut a long story short I’m about to be relayed by the RAC to Woburn Triumph, where a chain and sprocket kit is waiting to be immediately fitted in order that I can ride the bike home this afternoon. The only other damage to the bike is slight graze to the engine casing (oh, and it’s not starting, although I’m sure that’s something simple); the real damage is financial, as I’m having to pay RAC for the relay, which is £232! On top of that, I will obviously have to pay for the chain and sprocket kit plus the labour to fit it and sort out whatever is preventing the bike from starting.

Let this be a lesson to everybody else!

Oh dear , at least your not hurt :thumb:

get recovery on your breakdown cover , for the extra it costs it's a no brainer .

I have but they don’t regard it as a breakdown. I suppose I should have given them a slightly different story but I didn’t think, tbh.

It's small comfort but we've all done it. I think it's ready some kind of right of passage. Very frustrating when it happens because you feel such a clot.

I fit reminder cables to my disc locks and I've made a habit of moving the bike manually every time just to make sure I haven't done anything daft.

Oh dear , at least your not hurt :thumb:

get recovery on your breakdown cover , for the extra it costs it's a no brainer .

I have but they don’t regard it as a breakdown. I suppose I should have given them a slightly different story but I didn’t think, tbh.

Wouldn't be happy with that , bike won't start so it's broke down , mind you probably states in thier small print somewhere your not covered if you turn into Frank Spencer for 5 minutes :lol:

Aww that really sucks :(

Hope it gets fixed up soon!

If you see a bright red Sprint in the workshop while you're there, give it a wave from me. She's been there quite a while now :evil:

Didn't realise you were so close as well :mrgreen: Might have to organise some summer pub lunches for forum members in this area.

Guest Richzx6r

E115861C-BACF-4AAA-AA8D-C0392D504F43.jpeg

Looks gorgeous that bike, as said at least it should be a quick fix even if it is annoying

Well if you're going to break something you might as well do it properly! When you said the sprocket was borked I couldn't visualise it! :shock:

Glad you're ok, hope the wallet hurt isn't too bad!

Well if you're going to break something you might as well do it properly! When you said the sprocket was borked I couldn't visualise it! :shock:

:stupid:

That's a pretty impressive bend! :( If you're going to do something, might as well do it properly!

If this helps at all, not only is this very common (it's why a lot of people have the florescent bungee thing up to the handlebars) but at least you weren't in a line of bikes when you tried to pull away and when your bike went over, it didn't then start a domino effect down the line. :eek2:

I have seen that happen and I was Mortified for the rider who'd caused it...