A tale of woe!

learningtofly

a few weeks ago I was on the way to fill up when I ran out of fuel,( reserve light appears to not be working), on the A14. locked bike up and trudged into Kettering to get can and fuel, got back to bike, still fuming from running out put fuel in, got on, started her up, looked for gap in traffic and roared off, only I had not removed the disc lock. apart from a apart from a moment when I thought I had dropped out of gear the bike just took off like normal. it was only when I got home and went to secure bike for the night I realised I did not have my disc lock. went back to look for it, thinking I had forgot to put in my hatbox, only to find it in two pieces in the layby I had stopped in. I cannot work out how the hell I did not damage the front disc, brake or wheel, or not get thrown off

Guest Richzx6r

At least she is in one piece, now get back out there and enjoy it........but check that disc lock or chain is off the bike and safely stored away

a few weeks ago I was on the way to fill up when I ran out of fuel,( reserve light appears to not be working), on the A14. locked bike up and trudged into Kettering to get can and fuel, got back to bike, still fuming from running out put fuel in, got on, started her up, looked for gap in traffic and roared off, only I had not removed the disc lock. apart from a apart from a moment when I thought I had dropped out of gear the bike just took off like normal. it was only when I got home and went to secure bike for the night I realised I did not have my disc lock. went back to look for it, thinking I had forgot to put in my hatbox, only to find it in two pieces in the layby I had stopped in. I cannot work out how the hell I did not damage the front disc, brake or wheel, or not get thrown off

I had the very same thing . Stopped at.a biker cafe put the front dics lock on .(As my insurance states 2 forms lock at.all times steering.lock disc lock) had the coffee get.back on the bike waits for a gap of goes PING what the back as shit sick lock one or guys came over as I just managed not to fall . They picked up a peice each . And both went blood heck it split it in 2 . No damage to the disc but was well pissed that it split. Went back to the shop to buy a different one the guy said it was due to me putting disc on the front of the disc so as i went to.pull off it had a bit of speed to hit the brake caliper so he said to put it behind so I just bought a boss lock instead don't trust disc locks now.

not good! glad everything turned out OK in the end

I must ask though why disc lock on the sprocket? although it has served a good use

You immobilised the bike but with the least cost to damage! as brake discs are more expensive! Its just harder to see on the rear so more risk of forgetting about it

That is a nice exhaust. I want a new exhaust, maybe I can try this.

Wife: why have you spent a ton of money on an exhaust?

Me: left a lock on my sprocket.

Wife: so why did it need a new exhaust?

Me: it’s a bike thing, you wouldn’t understand.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I must ask though why disc lock on the sprocket? although it has served a good use

You immobilised the bike but with the least cost to damage! as brake discs are more expensive! Its just harder to see on the rear so more risk of forgetting about it

I just think it’s a lot safer, as the lock is much harder to get to and/or to attack with an angle grinder. I do use a disc lock on the front as well, but thank goodness it had too far to travel before meeting the calliper - it was beaten to the punch by the sprocket.

Edited by learningtofly

That is a nice exhaust. I want a new exhaust, maybe I can try this.

Wife: why have you spent a ton of money on an exhaust?

Me: left a lock on my sprocket.

Wife: so why did it need a new exhaust?

Me: it’s a bike thing, you wouldn’t understand.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Do we get a YouTube upload? Please tell me there's a YouTube upload

Sorry :scratch:

Was it not captured on camera?

I’d literally just walked out of the dental surgery and was just going to poodle home, so I thought I’d leave the camera off. Shame - it would have been my first interesting upload :D

I just think it’s a lot safer, as the lock is much harder to get to and/or to attack with an angle grinder. I do use a disc lock on the front as well, but thank goodness it had too far to travel before meeting the calliper - it was beaten to the punch by the sprocket.

Makes sense :thumb: