Slime throws tires out of balance.

Pbassred

Yep , I tried it once . Every time I went over 90 there was a terrific thumping vibration . Never again, a bloody dangerous gimmick .

Used it in a pedal bike and it seems okay. Wouldn't fancy it in mobike tyres due to speed of rotation of wheel.

I wouldn't bother to put it in a pushbike either. I've got Shwalbe Marathon tyres that have a Kevlar puncture proof strip called a green guard .In two sets of tyres I've never had a puncture . Besides , it only takes 10 mins tops to mend a puncture and if you carry a spare tube even less time. So I just can't see the point of filling inner tubes with this crap .

I've always been of the view that if I get a puncture I want to know about it. Can it be repaired or is it inherently unsafe and the tyre needs to be replaced? I guess I've been quite lucky and have found every puncture in my own back yard. Spotted a screw or nail head in the tyre. Pulled it out and listened to the hiss. 10 minutes later it's repaired. If I had a puncture on the go then if I had the gear with me, which I normally carry for any kind of journey, then I'll fix it there and then. If not.. Then I will call out the AA and get some return on the fee I pay.

I see no reason to put anything like this in my tyres. If the tyre is damaged. I need to know about it.

I used it in my car once as I had a slowly so when I went to.the tyre shop they won't changen the tyre as it was to much hassle to clean the gunk off the wheel so they could fit the new tyre .So they take the tyre off so I ended up having to take home wash it then take it back to fit the new tyre. So I won't be using it again

Guest Richzx6r

I used it when I had that puncture, did Jack sh*te imo didnt stay in the tyre long enough to harden so yeah wouldnt bother with it

Used it in a pedal bike and it seems okay. Wouldn't fancy it in mobike tyres due to speed of rotation of wheel.

I wouldn't bother to put it in a pushbike either. I've got Shwalbe Marathon tyres that have a Kevlar puncture proof strip called a green guard .In two sets of tyres I've never had a puncture . Besides , it only takes 10 mins tops to mend a puncture and if you carry a spare tube even less time. So I just can't see the point of filling inner tubes with this crap .

Tubeless all the way now on my bicycles.

In winter when you're commuting 10 minutes is a lifetime.

Ok , I didn't even know tubeless bicycle tyres existed . So if you get a big hole from a piece of glass that the Slime won't seal does that mean that they have to be replaced ?

Repairs are pretty much the same as on a motorcycle tyre... Just on a smaller scale. Small punctures can be patched from the inside. Larger holes will need plugging.

On my bicycle I don't bother repairing. It's much less of a faff to just replace it. But, nowadays you can easily buy tyres that are effectively puncture proof, they're not as energy efficient so it's only commuters and MTB types that use them.

Ok , I didn't even know tubeless bicycle tyres existed . So if you get a big hole from a piece of glass that the Slime won't seal does that mean that they have to be replaced ?

You inject sealant in which will get most small holes. Anything bigger would have seen you needing to boot any tyre and bin it when you got home anyway. If that happens on the road you've still got the option to boot it (using a proper tyre boot or a fiver) and put an inner tube in to get you home.

You do need tubeless compatible rims though, and learning to put them on requires a few tricks but once you know them you're an old hand at it. I won't go back now. No punctures since I've had them and much comfier to ride on (as you can run them at about half the pressure of tubed tyres)

You inject sealant in which will get most small holes. Anything bigger would have seen you needing to boot any tyre and bin it when you got home anyway. If that happens on the road you've still got the option to boot it (using a proper tyre boot or a fiver) and put an inner tube in to get you home.

You do need tubeless compatible rims though, and learning to put them on requires a few tricks but once you know them you're an old hand at it. I won't go back now. No punctures since I've had them and much comfier to ride on (as you can run them at about half the pressure of tubed tyres)

I've had a good read about all the pros and cons now and on balance I'm glad I've got tubed tyres . https://m.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Three-Ways-to-Save-A-Leaky-Tubeless-Tire-2012.html

Used to ride my pedal bike a lot when I lived in Portishead. Where I live now it's hills everywhere so to be honest I'm rarely bothered to ride bike, too lazy.Never knew there were tubeless tyres though.

The thing is:- If I am driving and I get a puncture I don't want a rapid flat at 80MPH. Slime could prevent that. Not in major cases but they are going to kill your tire anyway.

I recently had a puncture at work and used the rubber worm method. Its ok but its not as quick and its only temporary. When I went to have the tire replaced ( I was going to anyway) I asked if it was worth repairing. The guy said that he doesn't usually get a good result over a big worm hole. Anyway the big reamer tears a hole in your tyre and that could include the steel bracing wires so you don't want it back.

I can fully and permanently repair a puncture in less than 15 minutes, from finding the hole to being on my way again. It takes longer to re-inflate the tyre than to repair the actual puncture.so long as the puncture meets a few criteria. It's within the central portion of the tyre and is nail/screw sized.

I have never had a sudden decompression, that's something you only get, as a matter of course, with tubes. In a tubeless tyre the air is lost slowly, if at all and the handling becomes increasingly heavy. But 99/100 the tyre doesn't lose much if any air at all until you pull out the nail or screw. Which hitherto I have discovered at home. It pays to check your tyres frequently. At least weekly.

The worst type of puncture is a tear, from riding over metal debris or sharp rocks left in the road. A tear usually means the tyre has to be binned and I would doubt that anything would help. You'll be calling rescue.

Just had the rear tyre on the mighty Speedtriple repaired.

Wheel removed by me.

Tyre removed, patched from the inside, refittedand rebalanced for £15 by Spon End Tyres - Coventry & no chips on the rim 👍

Reminded me how tight 146NM is 💪🏽