oil drain plug temporary fix

Valko

I really don't know much about rethreads. tapping .sump kits but what u do know is if got oil can get out of it then it will and feck your engine up .

This plug thing I one way and the sump can come off the bike so you have the sump so you can see it from the inside thro the hole towards the floor . .. I might have this all wrong but why not take the sump off clean all the oil off the sump inside and out . Buy 2 sump plug washers then put one washer on a m14 or m15 bolt that sits thro the sump hole then put the other sump washer on the bolt and put a nut on it tighten the nut and bolt up till the sump washers seal the hole then put the sump baxk on the bike fill the sump up with oil thro the oil fill .then warm up the engine make sure no leaks then over the next few months look for a new one or 2an hand one .while keeping a check on the oil level . If what I said can't be done or won't work . Just buy a new one ......

[mention]Valko[/mention] - can you get the sump off to sort it properly?

If you're on a loser anyway, why not permanently bung something like a Stahlbus oil drain valve in there.

I really don't know much about rethreads. tapping .sump kits but what u do know is if got oil can get out of it then it will and feck your engine up .

This plug thing I one way and the sump can come off the bike so you have the sump so you can see it from the inside thro the hole towards the floor . .. I might have this all wrong but why not take the sump off clean all the oil off the sump inside and out . Buy 2 sump plug washers then put one washer on a m14 or m15 bolt that sits thro the sump hole then put the other sump washer on the bolt and put a nut on it tighten the nut and bolt up till the sump washers seal the hole then put the sump baxk on the bike fill the sump up with oil thro the oil fill .then warm up the engine make sure no leaks then over the next few months look for a new one or 2an hand one .while keeping a check on the oil level . If what I said can't be done or won't work . Just buy a new one ......

.........just 1 flaw in the master plan. .. (cue demonic laughter? :twisted: )......and that's draining the oil out again. If you don't mind mess, great........otherwise.....?

I'm still amazed that you attempted a "temporary fix" on a sump bolt thread. The interference between an m14 and an m15 thread is minimal. You've probably got very little aluminium touching the sump bolt and you still don't know if the sump is cracked or not.

THIS COULD KILL YOU IF IT FAILS, DO A PROPER JOB , NOW!!!

I'm still amazed that you attempted a "temporary fix" on a sump bolt thread. The interference between an m14 and an m15 thread is minimal. You've probably got very little aluminium touching the sump bolt and you still don't know if the sump is cracked or not.

THIS COULD KILL YOU IF IT FAILS, DO A PROPER JOB , NOW!!!

Its not just themselves at risk .

Consider implications.

Sump bolt detaches .

Bounces off road surface into following vehicle windscreen .

Driver reacts .......

Follow this on with the ensuing oil slick on road surface for other following motorists ..and the oil splatter on windscreen reducing vision if clearing is attempted.

and then we get to the oil on rear tyre creating loss of traction which may result in your bike becoming a ground based projectile into other traffic who react to avoid .

And this is all before the engine seizes due to lack of lubrication locking the back wheel up .

But your bike is still on the road so thats all that matters i suppose