Ghost x camera

Could be a alternative to cheap Chinese no worky worky cameras, £130ish, ok not really cheap but cheap ish, 5hr battery life so probably 4 but pretty good, not much in the way of good reviews a few YouTube vids, so who wants to buy one and tell me what its like :D

I got a Ghost Drift 4K...so far it’s great. I know it’s not the same as the one your asking about but from a Brand point-of-view, it’s pretty good. Not the cheapest out there but it “does what it says on the tin”. Caught some good footage of other road users behaving like plums!!

https://driftinnovation.com/products/ghost-4k

I am still using my cheap Chinese (genuine) SJ4000. Mounted on the bars, plugged into a USB, and as I do not YouTube the 720p quality is fine for me. The only thing I can say against it is you get some vibration, but that is the way I have it mounted (with a RAM mount) and not the camera.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone with the Ghost 4k answer some of my question.....

does it record constantly or does it record in minute segments like a dash cam???

when the memory card is full does it just stop recording or does it loop record (delete oldest)???

what's the biggest card it supports some say 64 others 128gb??

its designed to be on the side of a helmet BUT its not waterproof ???

thanks.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone with the Ghost 4k answer some of my question.....

does it record constantly or does it record in minute segments like a dash cam???

when the memory card is full does it just stop recording or does it loop record (delete oldest)???

thanks.

It can record continuously or in segments. This is all done by the settings and how you choose to set it up.

I’ve not filled my memory card yet so I can’t comment on this question fully. Most devices usually just stop recording.

What I can say though, it has a setting where you can “loop record” - to my understanding this records in 1-10 minute segments (your choice) that records over and over until you stop it manually. It deletes all the previous footage to save on storage space until you stop it manually, then that is the file it will store and save.

It will support any, if not all memory cards regardess of how big the memory card starage space is. As long as it’s compatible, it should be ok. Something I will add, the higher quality you want capture footage in, then the more space you use up in shorter time. For example;- Recording in 720p at 30fps uses less space than recording in 4K at 60fps.

I’ve used my camera in heavy down pours with no issues. The manual does say it’s suitable to be used in rainy conditions. There is also a case you can buy for it to further increase its weather-proofing but unless your planning to go surfing with it then I wouldn’t bother.

The ghost drift x now has a slave mode for multiple cameras so you can set one as the master and the others will follow it's commands, still not bought one yet but it's on the cards once Christmas recovery has been achieved.

Just a quick update on this............

I filled the memory card up & it stopped recording with a green screen showing & a memory card symbol with 100% in the middle, Drift says they will release a app update so that you can change the DVR settings via the app as its only changeable on the camera its self ( which is a complete fafh ) at present, when that happens .....WHO KNOWS

well I now have one, will do a proper review when fitted and some footage to go with, first impressions ok, installed app on phone and connected via WiFi, live view worked as should, my eyes find the tiny screen on rear hard work but all settings are available through the app so no problem there, new firmware available which will allow control of the rear camera that i dont have yet from the helmet cam :D , quality seems fine, fiddly converter for external mike but i dont plan on talking to it much.

• 2 months later...

well I now have one, will do a proper review when fitted and some footage to go with, first impressions ok, installed app on phone and connected via WiFi, live view worked as should, my eyes find the tiny screen on rear hard work but all settings are available through the app so no problem there, new firmware available which will allow control of the rear camera that i dont have yet from the helmet cam :D , quality seems fine, fiddly converter for external mike but i dont plan on talking to it much.

Found this thread via a search for helmet cams. Do you have any updates? How has it been working? Cheers

Hi it's safe to say it's OK but not great, I have footage in low and hi res, I will get it off the camera and you can make your own mind up.

Menu on rear is tiny, not all options are available in the app so sometimes you have to use it, once setup it's fine it can just start and record, battery life is great, proper review on way.

Hi it's safe to say it's OK but not great, I have footage in low and hi res, I will get it off the camera and you can make your own mind up.

Menu on rear is tiny, not all options are available in the app so sometimes you have to use it, once setup it's fine it can just start and record, battery life is great, proper review on way.

Thanks mate. I'm considering getting one so that woud be great.

Bit of a delay due to having to workout YouTube, some of the options you need don't show up in Opera mini apparently.

Good points

It's cheap, Mount kit is fine and easy to swap, can control multiple ghost x from 1 master.

It does not dissolve if caught in a shower

App is OK, can control most settings, but not all.

Live view not sure if that's useful?

Battery life is very good

Can use tag feature or record constantly

Against

Sound on the move is dire

External mic requires USB adapter

WiFi only connection, no Bluetooth or remote

Tiny screen requires good eyesight or glasses

I still ain't got used to tag button and find it very hard to activate, 4k version has Bluetooth and a remote

Think that's all for now.

I use the Ghost X when commuting and delete the footage every couple of days, picture quality imo better than other cheaper imports i've used. I think the picture quality on the go pro camera is far superior, especially if you want to capture those touring memories with quality imaging, and now with in built stabilization. Having said that the quality of the X is still very good :)

Thanks for posting mate. I've ordered one and for what I want to use it for it'll do the job just fine.

No probs, it's small, relatively unobtrusive, cheapish, not upto go pro quality but it's not go pro price, I think best quality is 720 60fps, the above clip would prob looked better without rain on the lens.

Thanks for posting mate. I've ordered one and for what I want to use it for it'll do the job just fine.

No probs, it's small, relatively unobtrusive, cheapish, not upto go pro quality but it's not go pro price, I think best quality is 720 60fps, the above clip would prob looked better without rain on the lens.

Indeed. If I wanted to do youtube vlogging, I'd probably go for the GoPro or something else. However, I always think it looks rather silly when you see one mounted on the side of a helmet...

Is there a big difference in file sizes between 720 and 1080?

Err, ok, I think I had a bit of a brainfart. I received the Ghost X and while trying to figure out where to mount it I noticed that my helmet (Neotec 2) might not be best suited for a side mounted camera. The optimum spot to stick the mount on is exactly where the gap between the main helmet and the flip up bit is. If I mount it just behind the gap, the camera won't point exactly straight ahead, as it is off centre...

I should really have thought about this before I bought it!

D'ho