HONDA DEALER KEEPING MY LOG BOOK?

LearnerLEGAL

A few months ago I purchased my first motorcycle and have been buzzing around with my L plates with a giant grin on my face ever since.

However, when I purchased the bike from a Honda dealer, the salesman showed me the service history book but said that he couldn't hand it over to me because of the GDPR and that it had past owners details in it. Naively, and as I'd never purchased a vehicle of any sort before, I just said 'OK' and off I went. The salesman said that when I go to sell the bike the prospective buyer can always come and see the log book to see the service history if needed.

It's only now thinking back on it and that it seems completely wrong. Who is going to want to visit a dealer to check the ervice history of a 2nd hand bike? Does this sound right to you? Should go back and get the log book from the dealer.

Edited by LearnerLEGAL

A few months ago I purchased my first motorcycle and have been buzzing around with my L plates with a giant grin on my face ever since.

However, when I purchased the bike from a Honda dealer, the salesman showed me the Log/maintenance book but said that he couldn't hand it over to me because of the GDPR and that it had past owners details in it. Naively, and as I'd never purchased a vehicle of any sort before, I just said 'OK' and off I went. The salesman said that when I go to sell the bike the prospective buyer can always come and see the log book to see the service history if needed.

It's only now thinking back on it and that it seems completely wrong. Who is going to want to visit a dealer to check the ervice history of a 2nd hand bike? Does this sound right to you? Should go back and get the log book from the dealer.

Sounds very wrong, unless some new law has come into effect. They sign it over to you so you can be the registered keeper, they or you should fill the details out for a new keeper and pop it in the post. Give them a call and speak to a manager or something, which Honda dealer was it?

Reckon he's filled out a book that isn't for that bike and uses it to sell on any 125 that has 0 service history?

Would explain why he wouldn't hand it over, as you'd notice long term and prove fraud on his part.

Service record or V5 ?

Surely the V5 has details of the previous owner ?

Aren't you entitled to see the service record before you buy ? Then, when you buy you get the User Manual, Service Record and V5. They belong to you, not the dealer.

I think I'd be talking to the shop manager, things don't sound right.

DVLA have apparently changed the log books to ommit previous owners information now. There is no excuse for you not having the log book...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5900993/GDPR-cause-spike-number-clocked-cars-road.html (Sorry, can't find an acutall DVLA site regarding this, just their main GDPR one.)

If it is a service book, then the company you bought it from can simply remove the previous owners information from the book and give you it.

If they are willing to let people look at the log book, then they are already not complying with GDPR as showing someone private/personal information belonging to someone else is also not allowed.

My step daughter brought a second hand car 4 months ago.

The dealer mentioned that logbooks (V5) will not display the names / addresses of previous owners due to data protection laws.

Sure enough, when the log book turned up there was only a statement re: number of previous owners.

I reckon this is a huge bonus for unscrupulous dealers to hide a vehicles history. In the past I have asked to look at the V5 and contacted previous owners to ask about the vehicle, if a dealer refused, I walked away - obviously got something to hide.

Service record or V5 ?

Surely the V5 has details of the previous owner ?

Aren't you entitled to see the service record before you buy ? Then, when you buy you get the User Manual, Service Record and V5. They belong to you, not the dealer.

I think I'd be talking to the shop manager, things don't sound right.

The Service history. He showed me a file/book full of service receipts etc. I've got the V5.

However, when I purchased the bike from a Honda dealer, the salesman showed me the Log/maintenance book but said that he couldn't hand it over to me because of the GDPR and that it had past owners details in it. Naively, and as I'd never purchased a vehicle of any sort before, I just said 'OK' and off I went. The salesman said that when I go to sell the bike the prospective buyer can always come and see the log book to see the service history if needed.

Sounds very wrong, unless some new law has come into effect. They sign it over to you so you can be the registered keeper, they or you should fill the details out for a new keeper and pop it in the post. Give them a call and speak to a manager or something, which Honda dealer was it?

It was Honda Chelsea ( I live nowhere near Chelsea FYI, it's just where I got the bike)

Edited by LearnerLEGAL

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and reply and in some cases do some research on my behalf. It is hugely appreciated and once again has shown how friendly the bike community is that I've joined.

Are they the one in Lillie Road, Fulham?

If so, they lost my service book (and I bought the bike new).

Took months of dicking around to get them to supply a replacement.

This happened to me when I bought my grom (from a totally different dealer). Honda HQ ended up sending me a book after I complained to them (there was lots of other shenanigans too). Within a year the dealership was no more.

Edited by Arwen

Bit late now you've bought it but personally if it is being sold as full service history I'd want that history or a discount to reflect being sold without.

Who's to say they will have it when you want to sell bike, can guarantee they won't give you the difference in value when it gets lost.

The service book that came with my Tiger just has the relevant dealer stamps with a note of the mileage and oil used etc. There is no owner info in it at all. The V5 (logbook as was) nowadays just has number of previous owners. I expect dealer has "lost" the service record, in which case they should supply a duplicate with the relevant stamps.

Hi all,

Got this response from Honda

"Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

I would like to confirm that indeed this is the policy, as we are very strict in keeping our customers personal date.

The best thing I can suggest in this situation is, if you would like I can check if there are any service history records for your bike and to provide you with this information. I would need only the VIN and reg. number of the bike.

As for the service book, please be informed that you can obtain a brand new service book directly from Honda. For this we will need again the bike details and a scanned copy of your V5 document, as a prove of an ownership. Once we receive it it will be escalated to our Head Office for further assistance. After you receive your brand new service book you can fill all the services from now on. Also you can contact the previous servicing dealers in order for them to re-stamp your new service book.

Thank you for contacting Honda. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me back."

Ok so they've not held your logbook, your log book is the V5. Sounds like they're not giving you a print-out of the service history as it includes customer details. You probably want to try get hold of a new service book and try get the old stamps re-done. That could be a task depending on how many services it's missing though :lol:. A good place to start would be taking their offer on the details they're willing to send over :thumb:

I think they're taking quite a blunt approach to all of this. I can only assume right now that they're changing the format of the service books to remove the pages that they usually write the details of the original keeper. However for the older books they can easily cut these pages out and hand it over to you.

Rather than continuing to email the general customer services team instead try [email protected] to ask them to justify the policy further. That will be the team that actually came up with the policy and may be able to help further.

I don't think there is a strong argument under legitimate reasons (boring GDPR term) for knowing previous owners, especially those who originally purchased the bike. You could argue that you may need to clarify certain parts of the service history but I'd then argue that you are instead better placed contacting directly the dealer that did the service if you had questions. But if they removed the pages that contained personal information you'd be fine.

As I type all this out I am thinking that an online lookup for service history would be much better anyway. Maybe that's what everyone will move towards eventually. Especially if it actually listed the exact work done during the service.

• 1 month later...

Sold with service history but youve not received the service history. Sounds like a job for trading standards to investigate.

There is nothing stopping the dealership redacting the personal information and providing the service history that you paid for.

No service history the purchase isn't complete...

Yup write and say your returning bike as it is not as described, you don't have a full service history so that will have a nock on effect on future value, why should you have to apply for new books and spend time getting it populated.

Before xmas I bought a used bike from Vertu Grantham Honda. I got the service book. It has the previous owner's address in it, so its NOT policy. By the way: IS there a national Honda dealership? or is it franchises? I know that Grantham has no commercial link to Letchworth because they are completely separate companies, so how can there be a "national policy"?

GDPR is about computer data held for marketing purposes. It has nothing to do with personal anonymity. In fact. The company storing all those service books is more illegal than an individual having a single address. This reminds me of the "Data protection act" from the 1980s that was misused all the time that a company didn't want to tell you something.

The book belongs to the owner as a history record. An unverifiable recreation of a record is essentially worthless.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, that's the one. Still trying to set up a time I can get the book restamped.