Speed limiters on vehicles

Bender

All I can find in the way of actual Directives is a consideration of speed limiters on commercial vehicles.....

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/topics/behaviour/speeding_en

Probably just more anti-EU rabble-rousing..... :3some:

Edited to add - I found this excerpt from an RAC report......

"The ETSC say that these limiters work by using a “speed sign-recognition camera and/or GPS-linked speed limit data to advise drivers of the current speed limit and automatically limit the speed of the vehicle as needed.

ISA systems do not automatically apply the brakes, but simply limit engine power preventing the vehicle from accelerating past the current speed limit unless overridden.”

To make the move more popular, the ETSC proposes an on/off switch to be included at first, which would allow the system to be overridden by pushing hard on the accelerator. This override would allow motorists to speed up should circumstances need it, and could mean that stricter rules could be introduced in the future.

So Yeh, rabble-rousing. Who'd a thunk it? :scratch:

Doubt it - they need GPS and cameras watching to road, which bikes can't easily have fitted I don't suppose. Also it's not 100% yet.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mandatory-speed-limiters/

"The news follows on not long after Volvo announced its plans to limit cars to 112mph and introduce driver-facing cameras to monitor for distractions or intoxication."

Wtf

I have heard multiple differing versions on the radio today, some saying overriding system will be logged as will the speed and location and in the event of an accident police and insurance will have right to data, also overriding system will result in a constant reminder like seat belt warning

I’ve got speed recognition on my current car and would not like it to be used as the de-facto speed limit identification- it’s unreliable, e.g. at a junction I use regularly the limit rises from 30 to 60MPH and it takes a quarter of a mile to recognise the fact.

We already have a mechanism that controls vehicle speed. It's called the driver's brain. Unfortunately too many drivers seem not to be fitted with this option, or if they have one installed they don't activate it.

So you can thank all those muppets doing stupid speeds for this development.

My wifes car has a limiter you can set yourself and she has a habit of setting it at 60mph. No fun for me when I forget about it and cant work out why the car has no power on the local dual carriageway :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

How a out giving cars junction awareness buzzers to with neon lights that flash tell the driver he/she needs to stop and look before proceeding that would be beneficial

They reckon this move will save thousands of lives every year.

Will they do a u turn after a couple of years when they realise speed isn’t the main issue?

It’s muppets that can’t actually drive, and can’t pay attention, or are glued to their phones.

Why not have a mobile phone blocking device fitted to all vehicles instead of cutting the speed?

Just ride everywhere at full throttle safe in the knowledge your vehicle will save your license...

And when it doesn't and you get a Speeding ticket, just sue the manufacturers for their failed speed limiting system.

Ever wonder why, in a country with a blanket speed limit of 70 mph, and where it is said that "speed kills", companies are allowed to manufacture and sell vehicles which can achieve THREE TIMES the speed limit ?? :shock:

I wonder how many MPs would get elected on a mandate of "ban everything capable of more than 70 mph" ??? :?

Speed doesn't kill, but it makes a lot of money for the government. Careless, selfish, thoughtless, reckless driving kills and costs everyone a lot of money. :(

IMHO

A far better development for safety, would be to have head up displays on front screen and side windows that can scan and alert the driver for motorcycles and prevent them from pulling out of junctions and side roads. The 'safety' therefore being on the side of the motorcyclist. I'm sick up and fed of seeing gormless car drivers in a semi comatose state driving as if still sitting in their armchairs watching east enders. :puke:

A far better development for safety, would be to have head up displays on front screen and side windows that can scan and alert the driver for motorcycles and prevent them from pulling out of junctions and side roads. The 'safety' therefore being on the side of the motorcyclist. I'm sick up and fed of seeing gormless car drivers in a semi comatose state driving as if still sitting in their armchairs watching east enders. :puke:

My car induces that state. Is so soporiohic my 16yr old son cannot stay awake in it. I’ve often wondered if improvements in general driving comfort has had an impact on the accident figures.

When I first got it I remember thinking inspite of its additional safety features it was dangerous cos how can you get out of a car after driving in a more relaxed state than you got in?

Needless to say you adjust quickly owing to not want to kill anybody but it took a week or so because it really did feel like you say- like I was sitting in an armchair looking out the window at the scenery whilst it felt like the car drove itself..... it definitely doesn’t!

This has been on the cards for years, traffic sign recognition, in my opinion, was always just a gimmick, in real terms all they've been doing is seeing if it was workable for electronic speed limiters, and as for data recorders on vehicles "supposedly to assist with accident investigation", it will be like having a tacho in the cab, how long will it be before police pull you over, plug your vehicle in to see if you've broke any road laws in the last week then give you an on the spot fine, more income generation disguised as road safety! ....... Conspiracy theorist or what ....... All designed in Area 51 :D