MOT Failure

Mickly

So, I brought the 1994 Trophy over a year ago with 12 moths MOT from Carl Rosner Motorcycles, on delivery it was wheeled into the garage and I proceeded to strip it out to make a cafe racer.

Having just turned my attention to the rear wheel, I have discovered the disc is cracked in several places, the worst shown here.

Putting aside the weeping forks issue, should this have ever been given an MOT?

9426AE1A-E1D8-4B7A-8EA0-AFC71C5A7D4B.thumb.jpeg.37aab440b3a6a866d40409de86d800d6.jpeg

No! This is classed as a "dangerous" fault in the Testers Manual (section 1.1.14 Brake Discs and Drums (a) (ii)... "insecure, fractured, otherwise likely to fail".

There is NO WAY that is anything approaching legal.... but they will probably say that it was OK when it was tested........

Your move....

Depends whether the examiner saw it or not . I've had MOT's in the past where the bike hasn't actually been looked at except to confirm the frame number etc.

Hi [mention]Mickly[/mention] , this is a photo of my rear disc on the CBR 400, this year, 2 of 5 cracks in disc, these appeared over last year.

Used George my mot tester for last 30 years, and I know they weren't there year before, as did George.

Mileage last year was 46 miles ☹️☹️.

Have seen it happen before a few times.

You can try but doubt if they will do anything.😞.IMG_20190329_160012915.thumb.jpg.2199b38f2b7381c55cc1f5dcd0a320e9.jpgIMG_20190329_160027565.thumb.jpg.36bcc0c5ce669196574ff30d881ec50d.jpg

Not sure what the issue is here . Are you looking for a backdated MOT failure, an apology or even some recompense for your safety being put at risk ?

So, I brought the 1994 Trophy over a year ago with 12 moths MOT from Carl Rosner Motorcycles, on delivery it was wheeled into the garage and I proceeded to strip it out to make a cafe racer.

Having just turned my attention to the rear wheel, I have discovered the disc is cracked in several places, the worst shown here.

Putting aside the weeping forks issue, should this have ever been given an MOT?

9426AE1A-E1D8-4B7A-8EA0-AFC71C5A7D4B.jpeg

This raises a question that has troubled and affected me at least twice in the past . Should a trader who has a vested interest in selling a bike be allowed to issue an MOT for the same bike ? My ER5 came with a clean MOT but on the previous MOT there was an advisory note about cuts to the front tyre . Like a fool I accepted the current MOT as a clean bill of health only to discover the cuts were still in the tyre when I had a closer look.

Not sure what the issue is here . Are you looking for a backdated MOT failure, an apology or even some recompense for your safety being put at risk ?

I know that the rule is ‘caveat emptor’ however I expected more from a large dealership - dunno why.

Recompense in the form of a replacement disc would be nice, however I’m not sure’ll even bother trying, as previously stated ‘ was ok when it left here’

Maybe this is just a lesson learned and a warning to others.

As FB said what do you want to happen as I feel the dealer will say the bike had 100 parts mot complete strip down an rebuild don't didn't happen here . What I would do is contact trading standards that way they can keep a check on the dealer and once this has been reported enough times they will do some thing .because once they won't do anything but 10 times then they know has taken the Mick and getting or doing bent MOTs as I know a garage that will pass any car for double the MOT price so there are ones out there don't it . And things like this will help to stop this ..

And yes he been reported to TS..