Breakdown cover for daily commute

Pbassred

I had a shift in thinking when I suffered a puncture at work. Without a repair kit I couldn't go anywhere and needed to get a ride to a train station and plan the repair later. Ok, I can cover a flat tire, but there are many things that can go wrong. On a commute you're stuck and on your own. SO I looked at breakdown cover and there is a big difference in price. for the same thing.

Honda CBR500R 6 call-outs per year, £30 excess,

2 Gether - £35

Green Flag - £47

Does anyone have experience in this or what to look out for?

I posted about my breakdown cover the other day over here. Well worth a look if the other insurance you get with the account will suit you. Will cover any car or bike, unlimited callouts and no excess.

In the past I used Autonational Rescue with no problems, that was a few years ago now so no idea what they're like nowadays https://autonational.co.uk/products/

I might also add as a devils advocate view that insurance is simply that, insurance that covers you *if* an event happens.

How much does it cost to get ad hoc recovery to a garage/home? When was the last time you needed recovery anyway? If the cost of insurance multiplied by the number of years it usually takes before you need the cover is more than the cost of an ad hoc recovery, maybe you don't need it

(Although there will be other factors that may be important to you that skew that calculation)

It's the reason I don't bother with insurance on many products, from electrical to boilers to mobile (although I get that with the aforementioned bank account, but haven't bothered separately for years) to even my glasses since I'm always being pitched that when I get a new pair.

The most common cause of a random breakdown isn't a breakdown at all. Its a puncture and these are easy to repair on a tubeless tyre. you just need the kit and preferably a pump to re-inflate the tyre and be on your way in about 15 minutes.

The other major cases are a flat battery.. so a battery tender might be worth having so the battery is always in tip-top condition. And being a little more careful about running out of fuel.

Work out what do you want from it

Do you want it to

Cover you as a Rider/passenger/driver in any vehicle

Or

Just cover that one vehicle

Do you want cover at home if flat battery or puncture on dricewsy

or

cover that starts 1/4 mile away from home address ..

ie if flat battery at home you won't be covered .

Do you want local roadside cover that will attend and if not repairable recover you within a certain distance ie up to 20miles

Or do you want national coverage that you will be recovered to anywhere within the Uk .

Unlimited callouts or fixed number

Coverage of patrols and level of competence ..ie are they going to take ages to attend and can they repair a tyre themselves or are they going to just recover you.

Don't just base your choice on price alone ...

I might also add as a devils advocate view that insurance is simply that, insurance that covers you *if* an event happens.

How much does it cost to get ad hoc recovery to a garage/home? When was the last time you needed recovery anyway? If the cost of insurance multiplied by the number of years it usually takes before you need the cover is more than the cost of an ad hoc recovery, maybe you don't need it

(Although there will be other factors that may be important to you that skew that calculation)

It's the reason I don't bother with insurance on many products, from electrical to boilers to mobile (although I get that with the aforementioned bank account, but haven't bothered separately for years) to even my glasses since I'm always being pitched that when I get a new pair.

rough pricing for using a well known breakdown company

If you breakdown without cover and join on the roadside ...

It will possibly cost you

£40 membership for roadside for 12 months which entitles you to roadside assistance and if not repairable one local recovery to either a place of repair or destination of your choice in that distance ie 10-20miles

Then on top of that you need to add

£99 surcharge

If however you wish to go further than local you will need to upgrade to the national package which will be for example an extra £60 BUT as in the first 24hrs of membership you are limited to 50miles free anything above that is chargeable at a current rate of £2.40/mile

So If its within 50 miles of home its going to cost you roughly £200 in that instance

Local.companies/individuals may be cheaper but its finding that individual .

So i would always consider having at least basic coverage in some form if money is an issue to negate that surcharge .

Iv got brakedown thro my bank account . I pay £15 a month it covers a load things as well holiday .insurance. will .probate .so on. Check your bank accounts some times these things are on your policy but don't know it ..

Iv got brakedown thro my bank account . I pay £15 a month it covers a load things as well holiday .insurance. will .probate .so on. Check your bank accounts some times these things are on your policy but don't know it ..

Ain't that the truth :oops:

I pay £54 for breakdown cover, no excess and 5 callouts.

If you use a comparison site, just be sure to check online reviews before committing. I almost got a £35 cover with no excess and 6 callouts, but then there were lots of negative reviews. I'd rather pay for extra £20 for a piece of mind I have a reputable company helping me out.