Auxilliary light?

Ricco1

Bit different this one. I have an early 80's Yamaha RS125DX. The headlight bulb keeps blowing. None of the other bulbs have ever blown so I'm putting it down to crap bulbs. The bulbs are 6v 25w/25w 3 hole. I can get them but they aren't widely available, I suspect all the options I can find probably come from the same supplier.

I can pop a fresh bulb in for the mot so no problem there. I rarely ride at night but want to be able to do so if needed. Even when a bulb is working the light given off is crap. I think it would be better, and safer, if I could rig up some kind of extra light. 6v isn't great so I'm probably looking at getting something battery powered. A powerful led torch would be just the job but how do I mount it on the bike? There isn't much room on the handlebars. The only possible places seem to be directly below the existing light, or maybe on top of the mudguard, using strong magnets or something.

Any ideas or pointers towards torches/ mounting systems, much appreciated!

Bit different this one. I have an early 80's Yamaha RS125DX. The headlight bulb keeps blowing. None of the other bulbs have ever blown so I'm putting it down to crap bulbs. The bulbs are 6v 25w/25w 3 hole. I can get them but they aren't widely available, I suspect all the options I can find probably come from the same supplier.

I can pop a fresh bulb in for the mot so no problem there. I rarely ride at night but want to be able to do so if needed. Even when a bulb is working the light given off is crap. I think it would be better, and safer, if I could rig up some kind of extra light. 6v isn't great so I'm probably looking at getting something battery powered. A powerful led torch would be just the job but how do I mount it on the bike? There isn't much room on the handlebars. The only possible places seem to be directly below the existing light, or maybe on top of the mudguard, using strong magnets or something.

I'm no electrician but would it be possible to have the bike converted to 12v? That would solve a lot of problems if it can be done economically.

P.S. I'm guessing the bike is 6v due to the bulb you're replacing each time?

Why not just stick a 6 volt LED headlight bulb in it ? Or alternatively stick a 12 volt LED headlight bulb in it but just don't expect it to be quite as bright . 6 volt ones are available for classic bikes but they are pricey at around £20 but I would think 12 volt ones might be a bit cheaper. LED's can accept a range of voltages so it's worth a go.

A friend of mine has an old Matchless trials bike which passed an MOT with lights bought from a bicycle shop. The front light is super bright and he can ride at night safer than with the OE 6 volt job.

Although the bulbs should be 6v 35/35w :wink:

Here's an idea , go to eBay and search " E bike headlight " a word of caution though, I might be wrong but I think LED headlights only work on DC current and not AC but if you wired one directly to the battery it should be ok. Scroll a long way down, there's a huge choice. You could probably get a cheap one and take it apart and then put the guts inside your existing headlight shell .

Cheers for the replies. I can't find a 6v led bulb that fits (3 hole). I know the bulb should be 35w/35w but those were blowing at an alarming rate, thought I'd try the 25w/25w ones, hoping they'd be better quality bulbs if nothing else. Hasn't made a difference really!

I think I might get a 12v standard bulb, these are available, and look out for a bicycle light to go along with it.

Or maybe just get rid of the bike :)

bulbs blowing regularly can be indicative of a faulty regulator/rectifier, due to a failure of said reg/rec removing excess current via shunting it through the frame

It's only the headlight bulb that blows. I've not lost any of the other bulbs, I've had the bike for 2 years. Could a faulty rectifier cause this? They are cheap enough to replace but I'd ruled it out, would have expected other bulbs to blow as well if it was faulty.

It depends - The resistance through the headlight circuit may be less than to other bulbs AND it is usual for headlights on 6v systems to run direct from the charging circuit rather than from the battery. A voltmeter across the bulb contacts when revving may show the problem.

:cheers: