Cheap Leather vs Ok-ish textile?

potatobroxd

you already KNOW im on a budget when im asking this question

I can't decide on which one's better.

Textile Jacket from SBS - comes with standard CE shoulder and elbow armour but NO back armour.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/331659

Leather Jacket from ebay: claims to be 1.3mm thick from a reputable ebay seller; has removeable thermal liner, ce elbow, shoulder AND back armour (pretty much impossible at this price point)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Jacket-Short-Biker-Brown-Distressed-CE-Armoured/183261682524?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D55c9d5e23a2041a092cdc64745129f6f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D152311681050%26itm%3D183261682524&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa10e94eb-5861-11e9-bd54-74dbd1802f30%7Cparentrq%3Af278c4d51690a9c4a2a7c1b2fff6defe%7Ciid%3A1

ok bosses, before you say i should buy a quality full body race suit 3mm whole grain kangeroo leather with airbag technology, i wont 8-)

Depends what you want to use the kit for. Textiles are usually waterproof to some degree, and are pretty good at taking damage from an off. I high sided in mine and escaped without injury, doing about 60 on a B road near Kimbolton, but came away with just a bruised ego. Cheap leather says it all, it could be made from lots of bits stitched together so will only be as strong as the thread used. I have a Akito leather jacket that I bought off of fleabay, and it came with Knox armour protectors in back, elbow, and shoulder, and Hein Gericke leather trousers that I bought in a closing down sale at a HG store that came with all the protectors and both were less than £100 each. You can get good deals at shows that sell end of season stock, or check out J+S's website.

There is always decent kit on fleabay, as those bikers that like their gear to match their bike will sell it off when they change their bike (I don't care,my kits all black), or have tried biking and find it too scary/dangerous

Depends what you want to use the kit for. Textiles are usually waterproof to some degree, and are pretty good at taking damage from an off. I high sided in mine and escaped without injury, doing about 60 on a B road near Kimbolton, but came away with just a bruised ego. Cheap leather says it all, it could be made from lots of bits stitched together so will only be as strong as the thread used. I have a Akito leather jacket that I bought off of fleabay, and it came with Knox armour protectors in back, elbow, and shoulder, and Hein Gericke leather trousers that I bought in a closing down sale at a HG store that came with all the protectors and both were less than £100 each. You can get good deals at shows that sell end of season stock, or check out J+S's website.

There is always decent kit on fleabay, as those bikers that like their gear to match their bike will sell it off when they change their bike (I don't care,my kits all black), or have tried biking and find it too scary/dangerous

Ohhahh Kimbolton? Sorry the change the thread subject but are you local then? I’m st Neots and have no bike buddy’s!

Billy Sugger gave some good advice. shop around there will always be a good deal on somewhere. And if you ride in the rain a lot you'll need waterproofs over a leather jacket.

I always seem to be on a budget when I suddenly need new kit, so I know where you're coming from.

My current textiles came from J&S - Jacket & trousers both with liners, ce armour etc about £120 for both around 2 years ago - waterproof, windproof, loads of pockets - can't fault them really.

I've had 2 offs in the past in the 50-70 mph range - 1 in leathers, 1 in textiles.

2006 Akito basic 2 piece leathers: scuffed up a bit but no holes - I had a dislocated shoulder from hitting a kerbstone, no other injuries. I still have and use the leathers.

2011 Buffalo basic 2 piece textiles: after a long slide on my belly the trousers were ripped and the jacket melted across the chest area and zip - it was already old and no longer waterproof so no big deal to just bin it all. I had no injuries at all.

HTH

Ohhahh Kimbolton? Sorry the change the thread subject but are you local then? I’m st Neots and have no bike buddy’s!

Not quite local, (near kettering), but I love the roads round that way and will gladly ride to St Neots for a cuppa/chips in one of the cafes

Why not get expensive leather or expensive textiles at second hand prices from Gumtree etc? I'm not particularly wealthy myself and most of my kit including my Daytona Gortex boots , my Sidi's , my FT all season jacket , my Warrior jeans and my Leather jacket have been bought second hand for a fraction of their true value . And in case the thought of wearing someone's castoffs doesn't appeal, let me just say that every one of these items was as mint as the day they were first sold otherwise I wouldn't have bought them .

Lots of good advice given already. I personally prefer textiles, especially for summer riding. My old HG jacket has gortex material which is great for keeping dry and warm in winter. Go for what you can most afford, 2nd hand or new. I was looking for some new textile trousers the other week, the prices for good bike gear is just horrendous.

My old HG jacket

My Jacket is Heine Gericke too and I never had a complaint about it. Especially when my previous one was a cheap job. Such a difference in quality, especially wind and water resistance. Pity they went out of business :cry:

My old HG jacket

My Jacket is Heine Gericke too and I never had a complaint about it. Especially when my previous one was a cheap job. Such a difference in quality, especially wind and water resistance. Pity they went out of business :cry:

I'm hanging on to mine until it's in threads. I agree, shame they went bust.

My old HG jacket

I didn't know that ! I've just chucked my HG All Seasons jacket. The waterproof membrane had perished in the end . Shame , what impressed me most was the over the top stitching on every seam . What did not impress me was the satin style material used on the interior of all the pockets which separated from the rest of the garment when the stitching pulled through the weave.

I didn't know that ! I've just chucked my HG All Seasons jacket. The waterproof membrane had perished in the end . Shame

Was it goretex?

No , I don't believe it was .

I didn't know that ! I've just chucked my HG All Seasons jacket. The waterproof membrane had perished in the end . Shame

Was it goretex?

This is why buying Goretex is a good idea. It doesn't mater that heine gericke has closed, goretex is guaranteed for the life of the garment.

My old HG jacket

I didn't know that ! I've just chucked my HG All Seasons jacket. The waterproof membrane had perished in the end . Shame , what impressed me most was the over the top stitching on every seam . What did not impress me was the satin style material used on the interior of all the pockets which separated from the rest of the garment when the stitching pulled through the weave.

Over but not quite out. I thought they stopped trading completely? http://www.britishdealernews.co.uk/general-news/hein-gericke-closes-uk-retail-arm-goes-direct

Was it goretex?

some of their stuff was sheltex

This is why buying Goretex is a good idea. It doesn't mater that heine gericke has closed, goretex is guaranteed for the life of the garment.