Up and down Scotland!

DearLandlord

Hey guys,

I'm planning a ride round Scotland for Sept time. I've got a rough route planned and would like some info about where it says restricted roads, can I still ride them? One part looks like it's gravel and judging from the street view it was done by a walker not the Google car. And as well recommendations from people who know better routes and locals too. My plan is to wild camp and I reckon I could do it in about 5-6days.

https://goo.gl/maps/JxTQAeHf63U2

https://goo.gl/maps/bjEXimtpzJK2

The destinations are pretty much to force Google to go where I want it to go :D

Screenshot_20190321-185445.thumb.png.d7f1340a8ead06e99704f4bc3bbbe2ce.png

Screenshot_20190321-185145.thumb.png.ebaaa576192cd32124e89e879ff49475.png

Looks good. Personally I would not take a 125 on any motorway, or on the any part of the A9. The A68 south of Edinburgh is rather good so long as you don't get stuck behind lorries.

The whole area around Dundee, Perth and Fife is my playground for my 125.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.42ca2753b477ef53a06a3adb07da6996.jpg

Instead of going to Pitlochry and joining the A9 I would continue down to Bridge of Cally, through Blairgowrie to Scone and then through Perth. That road is much quieter, and nice on any bike than the A9. Same goes for the M90, going through Fife, either through the middle or around the coast is so much more enjoyable on a bike than the motorway. As I said previously, I would never take my 125 on any meaningful stretch of motorway.

As for the Fourth bridges. Being a 125cc you can use the old Forth Road bridge (yay!). The new bridge (Queensferry crossing) is 70mph motorway.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you know that you can get from Carlisle to Glasgow by taking the little used road that runs parallel to the M74 all the way ?

Hey guys,

I'm planning a ride round Scotland for Sept time. I've got a rough route planned and would like some info about where it says restricted roads, can I still ride them? One part looks like it's gravel and judging from the street view it was done by a walker not the Google car. And as well recommendations from people who know better routes and locals too. My plan is to wild camp and I reckon I could do it in about 5-6days.

https://goo.gl/maps/JxTQAeHf63U2

https://goo.gl/maps/bjEXimtpzJK2

The destinations are pretty much to force Google to go where I want it to go :D

Both of those routes have great roads and 5 to 6 days gives you plenty of time.

There are very few off road roads that it is legal to ride on in Scotland and none are on the route you have shown. I would alter your route and stick to numbered roads or else you could find yourself stuck by something as simple as a locked gate.

Did you know that you can get from Carlisle to Glasgow by taking the little used road that runs parallel to the M74 all the way ?

Did part of this the, B7076 last year in Heavy rain, couldn't see on the M74 because of spray so jumped onto this little used road, good even in the wet :thumb:

I based myself in Lairg for a few days. Think there's 3 or 4 single track roads out of Lairg. Best route is head north to Tongue, turn left and do northwest Scotland to Ullapool and then head due East back to Lairg. Awesome.

I based myself in Lairg for a few days. Think there's 3 or 4 single track roads out of Lairg. Best route is head north to Tongue, turn left and do northwest Scotland to Ullapool and then head due East back to Lairg. Awesome.

Been there , done that last year , very awesome !