Brakes question

Valko

Hello people,

I have 2014 MT09 no ABS. Under light heavy braking with the front brake the back wheel is swerving and sliding. When I say "light heavy braking " I mean light emergency braking.

I have used in the past on my Fazer FZS600 to brake much more harder before I experience this. Also the feeling was more better and the back wheel lock was way much more controllable. Here with MT09 is you brake hard and slide and the only way to get back to normal is completely to get off the brakes. Granted the Fazer is heavier bike but with it I was able to release a tiny bit the brake and stop the slide whilst still stopping hard.

That is very annoying because with the MT09 I can't safely brake very hard.

Does that sound normal to you under heavy braking specifically for MT09 as very light bike or I need to look at some issue?

Could be to do with the suspension setup......If the front is diving too much under heavy braking the weight transfer is making the rear too light, causing it to lock too easily?...... :?

Could be to do with the suspension setup......If the front is diving too much under heavy braking the weight transfer is making the rear too light, causing it to lock too easily?...... :?

I am 110kg heavy guy, the front preload is dialed up a lot 2 lines showing only and I do not feel any huge diving.

Not 'picking fault' but, if you are continually having to 'light emergency brake', maybe you just going too fast in 'iffy' situations?

Anyhoo - Have you checked your tyre for correct pressure / is the wear OK?

Try relaxing the rear pre-load - does it make a difference?

Try quickly releasing rear brake and re-applying when a slide starts rather than just 'easing off' the brake.

With little 'dive' happening, it is hard to figure what is wrong (either with the bike or your technique).

:cheers:

I've had the same rear pads in my GSXR for 39000 miles so that raises two questions, am I a dreadful rider or do you not really need a back brake on a bike with twin front disks ? I think the only time I've applied rear brake was to stop the bike rolling backwards on a steeply sloping junction. Maybe you should have more faith in the front brakes .

Brakes are not worth messing about with. If you don't have a good technical knowledge of them, take them to a recommended bike mechanic. Any money paid will be worth it. :thumb:

Hi

We frequently get people with difficulty braking on our courses. I usually tell them to find an industrial estate on weekend when it very quiet and practice. Every bike is different it could be you are using muscle memory in stress situations rather than actually feeling what happening.

Apply the front brake progressively ( Squeeze rather than grab) If the back wheel gets light then ease off the rear brake pressure.

Start slow and repeat the process several times increasing the brake pressure until you reach the max practice max a few time to commit it to memory. Once you have this sorted you can move the speed up a little and start again. Yes it is boring but if you are not getting a feel for your bike in normal use its probably the safest way.

But as someone else has said if its happens that frequent that you know its a problem then maybe you need to look more closely at how you ride and anticipate hazards

are you sure that when your applying front brake hard you are not inadvertently applying more throttle hence the back feeling unsettled

as your finger clenches the levers ..your thumb will also clench and this can roll rhe throttle on

as unless its linked brakes then the rear should not lock front braking alone unless bike is stalling in which case you need to time your clutch application better.

The short wheelbase of the MT won't help matters

Not 'picking fault' but, if you are continually having to 'light emergency brake', maybe you just going too fast in 'iffy' situations?

Does the bike come with a slipper clutch as it would or should help with rear wheel locking up under heavy braking

Hi

We frequently get people with difficulty braking on our courses. I usually tell them to find an industrial estate on weekend when it very quiet and practice. Every bike is different it could be you are using muscle memory in stress situations rather than actually feeling what happening.

Apply the front brake progressively ( Squeeze rather than grab) If the back wheel gets light then ease off the rear brake pressure.

Start slow and repeat the process several times increasing the brake pressure until you reach the max practice max a few time to commit it to memory. Once you have this sorted you can move the speed up a little and start again. Yes it is boring but if you are not getting a feel for your bike in normal use its probably the safest way.

But as someone else has said if its happens that frequent that you know its a problem then maybe you need to look more closely at how you ride and anticipate hazards

Thank you all. It's all of the above.

First I am trying to not go too fast, but when deer pops up on road I have not much choice but to try brake and avoid it.

No slipper clutch. MT09 is too light bike too short wheelbase with too much engine braking. After some trial error I figured it out.

Engine was locking the rear. The cure is simple - me playing slipper clutch and hitting the clutch lever earlier to disengage the engine sooner.

Also not using rear brake at all. I have used on the heavier Fazer to use tiny rear brake to stabilise the bike under heavy braking and because the feeling was better on the Fazer I have got plenty of feedback and time to release a little and prevent locking or even to lock a little the rear without swerve.

On MT09 its locked or not locked there is no middle ground. Just changing my riding habits accordingly. I wish I have kept the Fazer now :crybaby:

You could always put some shit quality pads in it . See if there are any Chinese no name cheapies on ebay . It won't lock up then , probably.:thumb:

You could always put some shit quality pads in it . See if there are any Chinese no name cheapies on ebay . It won't lock up then , probably.:thumb:

I can recommend Kyoto or Rhino for this!

Weirdly the no-name Chinese jobbies I've tried have had significantly more bite than those two brands..

Weirdly the no-name Chinese jobbies I've tried have had significantly more bite than those two brands..

Until they get hot then they forget they are brake pads and become ultra slippy frictionless things. Brake fade is the problem with cheap pads.

Until they get hot then they forget they are brake pads and become ultra slippy frictionless things. Brake fade is the problem with cheap pads.

Which sounds like the ideal solution to locking up the back end . 😉