Suzuki GSX 550 ES 1983

Hi all, new to the game and the forum, picked up a Suzuki GSX 550 ES yesterday for a small sum. Looking to rebuild it to my standards, I will have lots of questions in the next few months from you experts :)

Will load up some before pictures when I get back home.

If anyone wants to help I'm based in Manchester (north), I never say no to a helping hand

• Like 1

I liked the early 80's when Suzuki and Kawasaki were coming out with new and innovative bikes. I had the Suzuki GS 750 which was the most modern bike I ever owned at the time, a great machine even by todays standards. I look forward to seeing photos of your resto. :thumb:

Oh lovely, I'm looking forward to this one ! I've had mainly Suzuki's as my main bike over the years . GS 550, 850 , GSX 1100 and two GSXR 1100s . This bike looks like it's got one foot in the GS camp and the other in the GSX / GSXR camp with a hint of Katana thrown in . In other words bits of all my past bikes rolled into one. I will follow this build with great interest but on one condition, it has to be black and red ! Just kidding . Here's a little inspiration for you . Welcome to the forum .

PhotoEditor_20190415_181711101.thumb.jpg.78f565c14863844d08faa08059ad6f5c.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have a GSX550E-D which I aquired last summer in need of a rebuild ( stood in a shed for 25 years) it is red & black ( very faded colours) .

I was under the impression that the black & red colour scheme was on the  84 models & later  & were inports . Only blue/white & red/ white  were available in the UK. 

20230528_085523.jpg

20230528_085452.jpg

20230528_084727.jpg

Edited by Mark J
Missed spelt
  • Like 3

https://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/index.html?adressfield-GSX-series.shtml~adressfield

There are some bits on here but not by any means exhaustive if you search through it.

Edited by Nick the wanderer

• 1 month later...
On 15/04/2019 at 18:25, fastbob said:

Oh lovely, I'm looking forward to this one ! I've had mainly Suzuki's as my main bike over the years . GS 550, 850 , GSX 1100 and two GSXR 1100s . This bike looks like it's got one foot in the GS camp and the other in the GSX / GSXR camp with a hint of Katana thrown in . In other words bits of all my past bikes rolled into one. I will follow this build with great interest but on one condition, it has to be black and red ! Just kidding . Here's a little inspiration for you . Welcome to the forum .

PhotoEditor_20190415_181711101.thumb.jpg.78f565c14863844d08faa08059ad6f5c.jpg

The above scruffy Black & Red one ,Sorry Fastbob , but the plan is to make it Blue/White  .