is this an oil leak? (pics included)

workpeter

Good luck with that , don't leave home without two litres of water.🙄

Well I'm forced to concede, the Radweld also failed me. Since my radiator is buggered, there is no harm in attempting your solution.

I have pointed to the horizontal pipe where I think the leak is logically coming from. My plan is to cut into those air fins just below the pipe to expose the crack, then seal it with high-temperature putty. And only crimp the pipe if the putty fails.

I think I can do it without removing the radiator from the bike. I have a mini hacksaw to do the job.

123.thumb.png.b4e25f21c63f98834ef28efc3d8a3d58.png

Good luck with that , don't leave home without two litres of water.🙄

Well I'm forced to concede, the Radweld also failed me. Since my radiator is buggered, there is no harm in attempting your solution.

I have pointed to the horizontal pipe where I think the leak is logically coming from. My plan is to cut into those air fins just below the pipe to expose the crack, then seal it with high-temperature putty. And only crimp the pipe if the putty fails.

I think I can do it without removing the radiator from the bike. I have a mini hacksaw to do the job.

So if the crimping solution is the better solution why not just do it and cut out the messing around with putty ? And what's so difficult about removing a radiator ? I'm just trying to save you more grief in the long run .

I don't have a garage or mechanical confidence to be taking the bike apart. Will need to remove fuel tank even before tackling the radiator.

Regarding the putty, I think the crack is too slight to warrant cutting the pipe and folding it back.

I'm just hoping this solution doesnt fail an MOT?!

I don't have a garage or mechanical confidence to be taking the bike apart. Will need to remove fuel tank even before tackling the radiator.

Regarding the putty, I think the crack is too slight to warrant cutting the pipe and folding it back.

I'm just hoping this solution doesnt fail an MOT?!

That's if there's any water in the rad when you get there . I don't have a garage either , what's so challenging about removing a fuel tank ? I'll leave you to it , good luck with the putty .

If the Radweld didn't seal it I very much doubt putty will. If you need to be taking the rad off I'd replace it. Do the job once and then you know it's sorted properly.

I agree , my solution was a temporary fix . It only became a permanent fix because it worked really well and my ER is just my cheap project bike . So get a new rad and pay someone a big chunk of change to fit it . Alternatively , take a deep breath and jump into the wonderful world of motorcycle maintenance. We all had to start somewhere.

So i found the leaky pipe, seems to be leaking at the back where it's rubbing against the fan housing.

I cut the pipe back on either side and patched the sides up with putty. Wasnt able to fold pipes back like Bob did. Waiting for the putty to cure.

done.thumb.png.085456cce3401e9b48c0211d8261c0a5.png

This my mates 8 month old Z1000SX’s radiator. It happened a couple of weeks ago. It was the tiniest stone. The fins on these radiators are sooo fragile.

He’s managed to find someone who can fix it.

I asked him why he hadn’t put a rad guard on it. He has bought one now.

It’s the first thing I put on a bike. Maybe you should invest in one after you finally get it fixed.

6D9DE61C-653D-4891-8EFB-7EBCDCE4624A.thumb.jpeg.2cd0b34b19fe49fdefb07249a6b87205.jpeg

*Update* - Just rode 30miles and no leak! Looks like the putty worked! I guess it wasnt working last night because the putty hadnt finished curing yet. Will keep an eye on it, but im quite pleased with the results so far.

*Update* - Just rode 30miles and no leak! Looks like the putty worked! I guess it wasnt working last night because the putty hadnt finished curing yet. Will keep an eye on it, but im quite pleased with the results so far.

🤐

🤐

im still gonnna solder it :). I know putty wont last.

• 9 months later...

Just to provide an update: So the putty job I did kept me going leak-free for around 9 months. it wasn't quite as professional as fastbob's fix (see pic comparison below) but it worked.

In the end, I replaced the radiator with a Chinese one for £80 instead of forking out hundreds for a Honda one. My local mechanic had to do some tinkering to get it to fit, but it works a treat. :)

I decided to replace it because it started to leak again, but this time from the cross pipe just above the one I cut out, due to corrosion on the backside of the pipe. I was gonna cut it out and do the same repair job but my mechanic said these Chinese radiators last a long time in his experience.

my fix

file.php?id=25846

fastbob's fix

file.php?id=25231