Defensive riding

learningtofly

Even when it’s something we know, validation can be a good thing, especially when it results in a little muscle memory boost. Anyway, today I was filtering on the outside of a long line of traffic that had come to a stop at a red light. As I approached the light, I noticed two things; firstly, there was a road to my right which could potentially allow drivers to escape the congestion. Secondly, there was a learner driver sitting in the queue of traffic immediately adjacent to that right hand turn.

I think I kind of knew something knobbish was going to happen, so I reduced my speed and hovered over my front break. Sure enough, without any warning whatsoever and only indicating at the point the manoeuvre was made, the car took the right hand turn, causing me to carry out a full-on emergency stop. If I hadn't seen it coming there's no way whatsoever that I could have avoided a collision.

Just another near miss, thankfully. Be careful out there :thumb:

Edited by learningtofly

Similar story today. Whilst riding as a complete dick and overtaking a lorry around H cafe roads, I happen to notice the red car in front is slowing down fast suspiciously.

I also have seen on the right side a cul-de-sac entry.

I have done an emergency stop. Had I not been fully prepared to do just that, there is no way whatsoever that I could have avoided a collision and t-boning the moron that turned right without signal in front of me.

Just another near miss, thankfully.

Moral of the story - if you ride like a dick make sure you are prepared for anything :lol:

Or even better - do not ride like a dick. :thumb:

All motorcycle riding is defensive.

Riding bikes teaches you far greater anticipation than most car drivers ever achieve. When we're out in the car my wife often asks me how I knew what that other car was about to do.

You learn it, but don't rely on it cos it doesn't always work.

Mind you I am pleasantly surprised how effective my new front lights are. Several cars I sussed were going to do something daft then had a change of mind so I'm guessing they spotted me late...but at least they spotted me.

Riding bikes teaches you far greater anticipation than most car drivers ever achieve. When we're out in the car my wife often asks me how I knew what that other car was about to do.

You learn it, but don't rely on it cos it doesn't always work.

Mind you I am pleasantly surprised how effective my new front lights are. Several cars I sussed were going to do something daft then had a change of mind so I'm guessing they spotted me late...but at least they spotted me.

I'm using my recently fitted front fogs as running lights. There's definitely a benefit in making yourself into a bigger presence by having them on. At the moment I'm a bit selective to when I have them switched on, but there's a noticeable difference in driver behaviour. I'm not even hearing any screaming from them when they go past after getting an eyeful :)

Similar story today. Whilst riding as a complete dick and overtaking a lorry around H cafe roads, I happen to notice the red car in front is slowing down fast suspiciously.

I also have seen on the right side a cul-de-sac entry.

I have done an emergency stop. Had I not been fully prepared to do just that, there is no way whatsoever that I could have avoided a collision and t-boning the moron that turned right without signal in front of me.

Just another near miss, thankfully.

Moral of the story - if you ride like a dick make sure you are prepared for anything :lol:

Or even better - do not ride like a dick. :thumb:

All motorcycle riding is defensive.

No, it isn't - that's often why avoidable accidents still happen.

I also.fitted running /for lights to my bike . But I didn't know that they have 3 settings. 1 is low beam 2 is high 3 is flashing . So I use them on flashing the cops won't bother me will they as iv looked on the gov. Com about lights and all I can find with add-on lights that they must not be blue. Green or red facing forward or white facing backwards unless it's reverse . Nothing about white led white flashing .there is no way son one will think I'm flashing them out as they flash to fast for that . So does anyone know if I'm braking the law having them ..

I also.fitted running /for lights to my bike . But I didn't know that they have 3 settings. 1 is low beam 2 is high 3 is flashing . So I use them on flashing the cops won't bother me will they as iv looked on the gov. Com about lights and all I can find with add-on lights that they must not be blue. Green or red facing forward or white facing backwards unless it's reverse . Nothing about white led white flashing .there is no way son one will think I'm flashing them out as they flash to fast for that . So does anyone know if I'm braking the law having them ..

Not sure what the rules are tbh. You can fit them with just a slight flicker that helps draw attention but I thought flashing was only for none motorised things like pedal bikes. But as said, I’m confused.com what the rules are these days. Be interested to hear what others know.

This from here

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Lamps to show a steady light

13.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a direction indicator;

(b)a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle;

©a warning beacon or special warning lamp;

(d)a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;

(e)a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; or

(f)lamps forming part of a traffic sign.

As [mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] says there is a grey area regarding flickering / modulated lights.

IMO flickering small LED lights are ok but flickering or flashing headlamps / driving lights not ok.

I had an altercation at a roundabout yesterday.

I was going straight ahead and there was a driver approaching from my left, who was turning left, ie we were taking the same exit. I'd already entered the roundabout by the time he arrived, but I just had a feeling...

I slowed down and kept my eyes on him. He looked straight at me and then just entered and merge into my lane! If I just trusted him and continued as normal, he would've pushed me of the road and I would've been off the bike. And then the old bast*rd had the nerve to gesture at me like I was in the wrong :evil:

If its a four exit roundabout and you are going straight on (2ndExit) you should be in the left lane if there are two lanes.

Not necessarily. .....This only applies if the road makings indicate that the righthand lane is for turning right only....

Signals and position. When taking the first exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal left and approach in the left-hand lanekeep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwisesignal right and approach in the right-hand lanekeep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundaboutsignal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwiseselect the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundaboutyou should not normally need to signal on approachstay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundaboutsignal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

So, the text doesn't actually say that when taking any intermediate exit ie: straight on, that you should get into the left hand lane? Select the appropriate lane on approach, unless road markings indicate otherwise. In the illustration it doesn't show the road markings, but on the majority of roundabouts the left hand lane will have an arrow indicating left and straight ahead, and the right hand lane will have an arrow showing right and straight ahead. Unless the road markings show otherwise, then both approach lanes will be appropriate for going straight ahead.

Clip won't play. Can you give some cliff notes?

Ride like no one can see you

Leave big gaps especially near roundabouts etc incase the car ahead slams on its anchors

Use your horn if you think they can't see you (assume not)

Even if you have right of way it doesn't matter, of you're dead

Don't overtake at junctions

Watch out for holidaymakers this weekend who might turn right suddenly

He tells car driver to think bike, especially before opening car door or turning right

Cagers and bikers share the road and be helpful

If you see a cyclist give em a little spank - they love it really